Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM

31 posts, read 83,523 times

Advertisements

We are coming to Minneapolis in a few weeks to visit our daughter who lives near the University East bank campus.

We would like to plan one or two outings to take advantage of the biking in the Metro area. So I'd like some recommendations on places to spend an hour or two of casual biking. Maybe 8 to 10 miles each outing would be enough. I know those three lakes looked pretty nice (Calhoun, Isle, Harriet). Which one is the must do?

How about another two or three other options for enjoyable bike rides in the Metro?

Also, tell me where I should go to rent a bike for this type of activity since we will not have room to bring our bikes with us as we are driving across country? We will probably need 2 or 3 womens bikes - like comfort or hybrid style (not road bikes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,047,244 times
I would just use Nice Ride. There are stations all over the metro.

https://www.niceridemn.org

Then I would ride around all of Calhoun, Isles and Harriet. The total distance is about 8.5 miles.
If you were to skip one of the lakes, I'd skip Isles.

Another good ride would be the corner of West River Parkway and Marshall to Minnehaha Falls and back, or you could just rent at Minnehaha Falls and cruise around.

Another ride could be, rent at St. Anthony Main, ride across the Stone Arch Bridge, ride down the river path to Northern Pacific Bridge Number 9, ride across the river back to the U of MN campus, then ride back over to St. Anthony Main. The downside here is that it's a very steep climb to get to Bridge #9 as it's a river / bluff situation.

The Stone Arch Bridge area is nice to walk around, too, if it doesn't seem like the right place to cycle.

If you don't want to use Nice Ride (it's a bit pricey) there are bike rentals on Lake Street near Lake Calhoun as well as at Minnehaha Falls.

I ride from St. Anthony Main area all the way down the river to the greenway, then over to the lake paths and around them two or three times a week for exercise. If you wanted to do one big tour you could do something like that, too.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM

145 posts, read 324,868 times
Minnehaha Park to Lake Harriet and back is a nice ride too.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 AM

2,866 posts, read 2,183,306 times
Does anyone know any bike shop near Lake Calhoun that rents bikes with toddler seats? It doesn't look like Wheel Fun Rentals have those. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 AM

126 posts, read 245,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Does anyone know any bike shop near Lake Calhoun that rents bikes with toddler seats? It doesn't look like Wheel Fun Rentals have those. Thanks.
Most places I'm finding that do rentals only seem to have the child trailers if those would work.

Both Freewheel Bike and MinneapolisByBike have child trailers available for rentals:

https://www.freewheelbike.com/about/...tals-pg647.htm

Minneapolis By Bike | Minneapolis Guided Bike Tours – Bicycle Rentals

Last edited by katmu; 07-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 07-28-2018, 09:01 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,198,040 times
https://www.hennepin.us/bikeplan
Hennepin county regional bike trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul