Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 PM

812 posts, read 2,176,524 times

Advertisements

Costco has great prices on gloves. Hats and scarves are dirt cheap at Arc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,760,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i live in edina. any stores nearby? what about walmart?
Southdale. Things are slow there because of the MOA (I imagine?) & they seem to have some pretty good prices on things. i.e. My wife wanted Bear Paws boots (sorry honey, no $180 Uggs). They seem to be $70-$100 just about everywhere including Famous Footwear (actually a great spot!). Southdale has some big shoe store (don't remember the name) Bear paws were on sale for $55. This was Friday of last week, so everyone knew it would get cold & snow this week.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:12 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,760,419 times
Quote:
Went to target last night thinking things would be different but they carry these thin gloves which dont help in the cold at all. What's the best store to stack up on AFFORDABLE winter accessories.(im not trying to pay $30 dollars for a pair of gloves) i prefer to get everything at one store compared to going to 3 different places
To directly answer your question...try Kohl's or Sears. We've got three daughters, so I get it. Just last winter I ran to Target & WalMart to find they were both out of gloves. Both Kohl's & Sears are traditional department stores that have everything under one roof & both have good prices. Some people LOVE Kohl's because of their coupons & sales. I find that with coupons & sales, I come out to about what the stuff should cost. i.e. It's intentionally overpriced, then marked down to fair prices. Still, they have more brand names & probably better quality than Sears. Sears though is very straight forward. Walk in buy everything, go home.

Not directly answering your question, but my general tips on shopping...

Sign up for Famous Footwear's email list. I got a 25% off all boots coupon 2 weeks ago & bought boots for all 3 of my daughters. 3 pairs of Bear Paws for $100. Boom!

We do a LOT of shopping on Amazon like many others.

Another go-to is TJ Maxx & Marshall's (same company I believe?). Really nice brand name stuff at a fraction of the cost. Marmot Soft-Shell jacket for $55. Ralph Lauren Polo 1/4 zip sweaters for $55. Izod 1/4 zip sweaters for $35. Lot's of kid's stuff.

Old Navy. A lot of their stuff is thin & flimsy like Target, but I'll buy jeans for myself there on sale for $19.99. Any cut/style you like, any color you like. I'm sure $120 jeans are better, but the $20 models work just fine for me. For kids stuff...I'm not buying my daughter's winter coat or boots at Old Navy, but I will load up on shorts/tank tops/socks in the Spring. Kids grow so fast that clothes are sort of disposable anyhow & at $7.99 for a t-shirt or shorts, you don't have to worry about long term quality. Join their email list & get solid sales/discounts/coupons.

REI. Hit & miss, but last Spring I bought a Columbia puffer/turbo down jacket for $35 & a Patagonia puffer/sweater for $40 on clearance. I tossed them on the closet & broke them out a few weeks ago. Feeling really smart right now.

Craig's List. Type in 'Girl's North Face', 'Columbia Girl's Winter Jacket' or 'Girl's Winter Boots' & see what comes up? I bought a $300 North Face Metropolis (worn 5 times) for my wife for $130. A $200 Columbia Tri-Climate (worn one season, in very nice shape) for $40. Men's Timberland Boots (new in box) $50. Some good deals here if you've got time to sift through the garbage.

Last edited by Mason3000; 11-10-2014 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

878 posts, read 1,211,703 times
Costco has high quality gloves for around $10 and outerwear for a decent price, 6pm.com has great prices on brand named outerwear and offers free shipping-- even Nordstrom has some great deals from time to time. If you're only looking for kids' gear, check The Children's Place-- their prices vary but their 3-in-1 coats can be found for under $30 from time to time and they're good quality.

For everything else, I've found that eBay (with a bit of searching and especially if you do your purchasing slightly off season), I've scored Columbia snowpants for $10 including shipping, The North Face 3-in-1 coats for all three of my kids for under $40 shipped/each and just scored a long Columbia coat for my daughter for $12 SHIPPED last week. Also, Craigslist as mentioned above can be great, but it's definitely hit or miss, I prefer eBay for the ease of shopping from home-- saves me time and aggravation.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 PM

68 posts, read 95,097 times
Check out Savers and Goodwill too. I've found great stuff there. And military surplus stores. The one near Nicolett and Franklin is great.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,922,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SForMNLee View Post
Check out Savers and Goodwill too. I've found great stuff there. And military surplus stores. The one near Nicolett and Franklin is great.
lol was at savers yesterday. love that store and acr's village in richfield

Old 11-12-2014, 09:56 PM

416 posts, read 561,319 times
Quote:
Went to target last night thinking things would be different but they carry these thin gloves which dont help in the cold at all. What's the best store to stack up on AFFORDABLE winter accessories.(im not trying to pay $30 dollars for a pair of gloves) i prefer to get everything at one store compared to going to 3 different places
Actually some of those thin gloves ARE very good in the cold. The key for <30deg temps is to use them as liners for bigger gloves. I use those 'thin' thinsulate gloves inside $12 deerskin gloves from Lowes and have excellent finger mobility and total insulation. I've gone on long walks the past few days with my hands nice and toasty. When I need to use the phone or drive I just remove the outer gloves and use the thinsulates. If you use good quality thin gloves for liners then you can spend less on the outer, just like you can spend less with layering and a softshell than shelling out for a single expensive jacket. Same principle.

The Zero Xposure jackets at JCPenney are as good as if not better than Columbia jackets and cheaper. They were on sale two weeks ago and I got an awesome one for $80. If you want good Columbia deals go the Columbia outlet in albertville. Also try Marshalls and TJ Maxx although a proper winter coat maybe harder to find. They had some nice light/mid weight softshells though. Not thick enough for current temps unfortunately.

I also recommend the Duofold 60/40 cotton/polyester thermals on Amazon ($12) or the Champion Polyester/wool baselayer at Target ($20). Much better than the cheapie thermals a lot of these stores have. The Champion especially is great for the money and can pass for an athletic long sleeved shirt.

There are some nice winter shoes at DSW in Maple Grove right now. Got waterproof -40 degree ready Kamik winter boots for $60. They're light weight and comfy as hell. Really well made for the money.

Also if you had gone to Target two weeks ago you would have found a larger selection. In fact a lot of these places had great sales over the previous weeks. You can't be shocked when all the gear is gone just before the first winter storm...

And one thing I've learned - 'cotton is rotten' or 'cotton kills' is a popular saying for winter wear. If you're going to be outside for a lengthy period of time keep cotton clothing to a minimum, stick to polyester and wool where at all possible.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:07 AM

183 posts, read 292,993 times
Go and check for alibaba or ebay. On alibaba you would find suppliers who manages large consignments but if you ask them for 2 3 pieces they will deliver you below $15 easily.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,256,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Fleet Farm has quality cold weather gear. They carry very utilitarian, solid gear. I get my boots there.

Gander Mountain and Cabela's also carry quality gear.
I also recommend Fleet Farm and Cabela's, with Gander Mountain a distant third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul