Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 AM

256 posts, read 287,009 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm probably reallllly putting the cart before the horse on this one (our first child isn't due until December!), but it's something I was wondering about for future reference.

I was curious if I could get some responses, based on personal experience (preferably), what some of the better areas for youth hockey associations in the TC metro are. Note that I'm not asking "where is Urisicinus Junior's best shot at growing up to make the NHL?" Also not asking for the "most successful" associations in terms of numbers or metrics, or whatever. I'm moreso just wondering if any specific areas/associations have a better reputation amongst parents for things like supportiveness, family involvement, fairness, and so on. I've heard a good bit of negative stuff through the grapevine about Edina and Eden Prairie, where everyone is super-cliquey and the teams are chosen based off your last name and what make/model your SUV is, or whatever. But that said, I'd also ideally like to get my kids involved in an association that is decently organized while having a track record of nurturing players, as opposed to just teaching them that winning is everything at an early age.

Just curious whether these negatives are pretty much the case everywhere, or if some places have varying degrees of pros and cons. None of this will be the primary determining factor on where we relocate, but again, I'd just kind of like to know for future reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
congratulations on the upcoming arrival of Urisicinus Junior! However, if he hasn't grasped the needed stickhandling skills and begin strengthening the ankle muscles required in hockey by his 2nd trimester, I'm afraid he will be long behind the development curve when he steps onto the ice this Christmas...there's always soccer though.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
congratulations on the upcoming arrival of Urisicinus Junior! However, if he hasn't grasped the needed stickhandling skills and begin strengthening the ankle muscles required in hockey by his 2nd trimester, I'm afraid he will be long behind the development curve when he steps onto the ice this Christmas...there's always soccer though.

Thanks

To be quite honest, I am mostly curious about this stuff from a "community" standpoint. I have no delusions of vicarious grandeur, or retirement-via-kid's-first-NHL-contract nonsense. I'd be happy if my kids played at all beyond their 7th birthday. I would just like to start them early enough that if it is something they want to keep doing, they won't be at a hindrance from doing so, and additionally, it's something we could share as they grow up and beyond. So with that in mind, I was just curious if there are any specific places that would be a bad place to try and be involved in.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,274 times
Sadly, youth hockey is a breeding ground for politics (the sports kind, not the election kind)-- as someone who is relatively new to MN, but not at all new to youth hockey-- it's actually better here than it is in most places as there's not money involved (at least during the regular hockey season, AAA/summer hockey is a different beast all together).

EP and Edina want to WIN-- so while family names and connections might matter in the younger age groups (especially if that last name is attached to a former NHL player who would be willing to coach!)-- once you get to the upper age groups, it becomes WAY more about talent and ability and less so about who your daddy and mommy are.

Edina is great for player (not goalie) development-- EP is struggling a bit at the younger age groups (aging population, influx of international people= fewer youth hockey players)-- Minnetonka is strong and HUGE, same with Wayzata-- Maple Grove and Rosemount have been growing and developing stronger and stronger programs--Chaska-Chan is growing and has some strength in the younger age groups, but aren't seeing much (yet) at the high school level. Mahtomedi has been very successful as of late. Burnsville and Bloomington, despite being powers in the past, are seemingly on the downswing (more so Burnsville than Bloomington). Look for large and growing population (and, sadly: wealth) and you'll generally find great hockey-- smaller communities, even wealthy ones, (i.e Orono) can't field strong teams consistently because they have fewer kids to choose from, yet every now and then they'll have a great year/team.

What this will look like when your kiddo is ready to strap on skates, I can't tell you-- but that's a (likely biased) snapshot from a hockey mom (x2) and wife of a professional, youth hockey coach.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the great post, Ellysbelly As far as "player development" and all that, I did assume Edina was the best, based on other things I'd heard/read. But like I said, I'm not really concerned about that at all. I would really just like for my kids to be able to give it a shot when they're young and have fun with it, as opposed to dealing with lots of "keeping up with the Joneses" silliness or being taught that winning is everything at age 7. I wonder if in that sense, a smaller program might be "better"... although I'm sure there are inherent problems with that, too. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul