Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how much income does a family of 3 need to make it?
less than 50,000 11 32.35%
50,000-60,000 3 8.82%
60,000-70,000 10 29.41%
70,000-80,000 2 5.88%
80,000-90,000 3 8.82%
90,000+ 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM

16 posts, read 23,376 times

Advertisements

ok, so this is a terribly personal question and i apologize, but as i said in my last post, hubby may be getting a job in the area and we're clueless.

how much income do you think a family of 3 (two adults, one baby) would need in order to make it comfortably in minneapolis? (<- the poll question) and how much can one person expect to make (i know this varies, but an average would do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betani View Post
ok, so this is a terribly personal question and i apologize, but as i said in my last post, hubby may be getting a job in the area and we're clueless.

how much income do you think a family of 3 (two adults, one baby) would need in order to make it comfortably in minneapolis? (<- the poll question) and how much can one person expect to make (i know this varies, but an average would do)
Depends on what "comfortable" means, what your debt-load (current and projected) is, and what fields you will be working in (and grade levels within those fields). We have friends who have bigger mortgages than us and make a fair amount less than us, and they seem to be doing alright, so I'm not exactly sure. I know some people that seem to be able to do it on $60K combined, but this is still a relatively low amount for a family IMO and would need to be low on debt- or rent-load...$70-90K would put you in a more comfortable range.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
Minneapolis is very affordable.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 AM

the only debt we have is my student loans which equal to about $90/month. other than that our expenses would be car insurance, rent (at least until we're sure everything's stable, then we'd look into buying), and the typical living expenses (groceries, gas, utilities, etc.).

Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
It depends on your lifestyle. You can live in a smaller home and make it here for under 50k a year although it can be tight if you need to take on some expenses. That works if you're not much of a shopper, don't eat out a lot and generally live somewhat conservatively.

I would say many can do fine in the 60-70 range and that would be ideal. That gives you some breathing room. However if you like to eat out a lot and hang out at the mall plus want a totally upgraded home you may want to up that.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
You will have to be a little more specific on what you consider comfortable as it varies so much. Some people are comfortable with a steady paycheck and no frills others want to have enough money to buy what they want, take vacations as they want, etc.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Less than $50,000 is a good salary for a single person. Sure a family of 3 could live on that, however there won't be much left over for fun stuff or savings.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:40 AM

138 posts, read 370,687 times
My out of state family members say they can't believe how cheap everything is in MN. I consider myself "comfortable." But would be in serious trouble with a job loss. My advice is to have a nice savings lined up for an emergency.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
It depends on your lifestyle. You can live in a smaller home and make it here for under 50k a year although it can be tight if you need to take on some expenses. That works if you're not much of a shopper, don't eat out a lot and generally live somewhat conservatively.

I would say many can do fine in the 60-70 range and that would be ideal. That gives you some breathing room. However if you like to eat out a lot and hang out at the mall plus want a totally upgraded home you may want to up that.
heh, well of course we would like the nicest things imaginable, but in reality we're fairly conservative with our spending. we go out to eat occasionally (1-2x a month) and generally only buy things we have to. now that i have my daughter, i'd love to do a gymboree (or similar) class with her, but other than that, we'd really only be spending on "necessary" things and we have a bit in savings just in case. i don't want to be living paycheck to paycheck and just scraping by, but i don't mind not being able to buy the latest new clothes and going out every night.

oh, and i'd love a two bedroom at least (we're in a one bedroom now!)

Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betani View Post
heh, well of course we would like the nicest things imaginable, but in reality we're fairly conservative with our spending. we go out to eat occasionally (1-2x a month) and generally only buy things we have to. now that i have my daughter, i'd love to do a gymboree (or similar) class with her, but other than that, we'd really only be spending on "necessary" things and we have a bit in savings just in case. i don't want to be living paycheck to paycheck and just scraping by, but i don't mind not being able to buy the latest new clothes and going out every night.

oh, and i'd love a two bedroom at least (we're in a one bedroom now!)
Renting a 2 bedroom you can plan on $1000/month, give or take. Utilities in most apartments aren't going to run you more then $100/month usually. Auto and renter's insurance is going to be in the $150/month range, a bit more in the city, a bit less further out, cell phone for 2 about $80/month depending on the plan. Add whatever for groceries, etc. Figure $25,000/year or so for the basics, then add $500-1000/month for savings, retirement plans, insurance, etc and bare minimum is around $50,000 and that would be pay check to pay check. Add in another $20,000 to be "comfortable" so in the $70,000 to start is what I would plan on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul