Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Richer than most Americans? Yes...and she probably also worked harder than many Americans.
Well, she certainly did something to get all that farm subsidy money her family's pulled in over the years, about $1.5 million worth at last count. That's at least 3 or 4 full afternoons filling out the paperwork and calling in favors from her cronies. Pretty good money for a farm that's only worth $1 mil total, and for a couple that doesn't even farm for a living.

Bachmann fits the definition of "welfare queen" to a 'T' - she takes public tax funds to not work. And she's one to rail about higher taxes and gov't corruption? Pot meet kettle.

Last edited by audadvnc; 08-22-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold as ice 56 View Post
I heard this a few day's ago that Bachmann is worth 2.1 million dollars? Is this true? Does anyone know any info about this? Heck I just found out she is a tax attorney!!!! I live in Minnesota and must have my head in the clouds. Oh well!!!
Any opinions?
So?

What are you getting at?

She had the intelligence and discipline to raise 5 of her own children, take in 23 foster children, get an education, earn 2 law degrees, start a successful business and get elected to political office.

Sounds like a great person to me!

If she were a liberal, they would be building monuments to her!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So?

What are you getting at?

She had the intelligence and discipline ...
... to rip off the US taxpayer for $1.5 mil. If that's your idea of a sterling individual, it explains why your leaders are the moral midgets they are, and your society is in the predicament it's in. The fact that you give her a pass in the face of this blatant corruption shows how willing you are to bend your principles to get a scumbag like her elected.

Principles? Bah. It's all about power, isn't it?

Last edited by audadvnc; 08-22-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
#1 -- $2.1M in this day and age is pretty modest (especially for a family with that has supported numerous adopted children plus a large family on their own).

#2 -- Do we want unsuccessful individual to hold public office???

Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
[quote=GBCommenter;20542116]Perhaps simply the idea of "working hard" is not fully descriptive of my thoughts. More accurate was hard work and willingness to take a chance to found your own business to achieve further material gains from that gamble of founding your own business. To illustrate my point, my father worked 60 hours a week at a factory not particularly known for its easy and comfortable work surroundings. However, when the 8 to 12-hour day was done, he also was done and was off to leisure activities (okay, to the bar - but another discussion). Point being he was content with his hours at the job where he did what was needed during the time he was on the clock but wasn't willing to take a chance on a business of his own where he took the profit from that business and also the suffering from his poor choices and work needed to make the business successful.

Frankly, at this point I am also in a similar position. I happen to work a desk job but same idea...I put in the time required of the job but thus far have not been willing to take the gamble and hard work of founding a business - which includes toughing it out until you make the business successful and provide a product to your customers.

It is easy to run businesses when you receive business welfare from the government, run fraudulent therapy, a high paying government job with the best possible benefits and have friends in high places. Even invalids like Bachmann can have high income.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
... to rip off the US taxpayer for $1.5 mil. If that's your idea of a sterling individual, it explains why your leaders are the moral midgets they are, and your society is in the predicament it's in. The fact that you give her a pass in the face of this blatant corruption shows how willing you are to bend your principles to get a scumbag like her elected.

Principles? Bah. It's all about power, isn't it?
Not a Bachman fan at all but you clearly do not understand how farm subsidies work and calling them "corruption" is actually quite bizarre.

Agricultural subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
None of this changes my opinion of her. She is still an incompetent, crazy ding-bat.
We can all thank the voters of her district for releasing her stupidity on the rest of us and making Minnesota a laughing stock.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
#1 -- $2.1M in this day and age is pretty modest (especially for a family with that has supported numerous adopted children plus a large family on their own).

#2 -- Do we want unsuccessful individual to hold public office???
(1) It's not exceptional, but a lot depends on how you measure things. I know several people who have $millions in farmland, for example, but their actual ability to generate cash to go on trips, purchase gadgets, etc., is extremely limited. You can't spend land.

(2) Is wealth really the only definition of success?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM

127 posts, read 337,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
None of this changes my opinion of her. She is still an incompetent, crazy ding-bat.
We can all thank the voters of her district for releasing her stupidity on the rest of us and making Minnesota a laughing stock.
Much in the same way we can all thank Minnesotans for releasing Al Franken. Compared to what the options were, it wasn't a hard choice. Hell, even I think she's a little bat**** crazy. She went into politics, you have to be somewhat crazy to get into that cesspool. I wouldn't go as far as to say she's incompetent though. She's done a lot w/ her life. You know, foster kids, kids of her own, law degree or two, has her own business.... Doesn't sound like she's completely incompetent. Heck, sounds like she might be somewhat intelligent. I would fire her writer though. Double checking facts can save you from having pie in your face.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
Much in the same way we can all thank Minnesotans for releasing Al Franken. Compared to what the options were, it wasn't a hard choice. Hell, even I think she's a little bat**** crazy. She went into politics, you have to be somewhat crazy to get into that cesspool. I wouldn't go as far as to say she's incompetent though. She's done a lot w/ her life. You know, foster kids, kids of her own, law degree or two, has her own business.... Doesn't sound like she's completely incompetent. Heck, sounds like she might be somewhat intelligent. I would fire her writer though. Double checking facts can save you from having pie in your face.
Speaking as a software developer, Al Franken has taken some VERY good positions with regard to copyright law and other similar things.

Not sure of his general record, but the fact that he seems to understand that sort of subject when most congresscritters don't seem to is refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: