Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times

Advertisements

Don't people realize that we (America) already spend just about more than every other country in the Western world on K-12 education?

Quote:
Blog
U.S. Education Spending and Performance vs. The World [INFOGRAPHIC]
February 8th, 2011 by MAT@USC

We’ve put together this infographic that compares the United States’ education spend and performance versus eleven countries. The U.S. is the clear leader in total annual spending, but ranks 9th in Science performance and 10th in Math.
During the most recent State of the Union Address, President Obama put out the call to “prepare 100,000 new teachers in the fields of science and technology and engineering and math.” While the need is there to improve student performance in these subjects, the question remains: Are Americans ready to rise to the occasion?
How much does annual spending per child impact educational outcomes?

So what gives? I am tired of opening my Pioneer Press every other day to seeing the cries of spending more of our dollars on education. Like the rest of the nation, this seems to be a common theme in Minnesota as well, where we tend to be at the higher end of the public education producers in the entire country.

This perplexes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
The US is the only country on your list that educates ALL students. Most of those countries, by the time a child is 14-16 and hasn't shown top potential, they are shuffled off to their version of our community college system to learn a trade and hope to get a job in a factory somewhere. We also fund special education out of our school district budgets vs other funds like the rest of those countries do.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The US is the only country on your list that educates ALL students. Most of those countries, by the time a child is 14-16 and hasn't shown top potential, they are shuffled off to their version of our community college system to learn a trade and hope to get a job in a factory somewhere. We also fund special education out of our school district budgets vs other funds like the rest of those countries do.
Spending per child is still highest (whether you're implying that's because we educate them longer, I don't know.)

I would like to see kids who've not shown potential in the academics be pushed more into the trades, which I've heard of before. College isn't for everyone and somehow in America we've been duped into believe such.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Spending per child is still highest (whether you're implying that's because we educate them longer, I don't know.)

I would like to see kids who've not shown potential in the academics be pushed more into the trades, which I've heard of before. College isn't for everyone and somehow in America we've been duped into believe such.
Go spend some time in the villages in some of these countries or in the factories in the large cities and tell me they are better off....

Again, special education eats up close to 3/4ths of the operating budgets in districts around the nation, remove that and we are actually one of the lower spending nations...

It isn't about "going to college" it's about raising an educated population. Look around your neighborhood at the kids you know that dropped out of high school or didn't really participate in their high school education--what are they doing now? Would you prefer an entire nation of people like that? Having an educated population, college degree or not, benefits everyone. It is a good thing we push the amount of education we do on kids. Even just "learning a trade" these days requires kids to go to community college and know basic math, reading, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Go spend some time in the villages in some of these countries or in the factories in the large cities and tell me they are better off....

Again, special education eats up close to 3/4ths of the operating budgets in districts around the nation, remove that and we are actually one of the lower spending nations...

It isn't about "going to college" it's about raising an educated population. Look around your neighborhood at the kids you know that dropped out of high school or didn't really participate in their high school education--what are they doing now? Would you prefer an entire nation of people like that? Having an educated population, college degree or not, benefits everyone. It is a good thing we push the amount of education we do on kids. Even just "learning a trade" these days requires kids to go to community college and know basic math, reading, etc.
Like I said, college isn't for everyone and a trade is exactly the right fit for someone. Last I checked plumbers and electricians are making anywhere from $18-$35/hr.

On the side of dropouts, many come from single-parent or dysfunctional homes to begin with. You can't force anyone to go to school and dumping more of our tax dollars isn't going to change that under any circumstances.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom.... yeah, there are some real backward, third world nations on this list.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom.... yeah, there are some real backward, third world nations on this list.
Go spend some time in the smaller villages in most of these countries. Again, these countries STOP educating 80% of their kids by age 16 and some before that. Their special education funds do NOT come out of their public school funds. Compare apples to apples and you get an entirely different picture.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Go spend some time in the smaller villages in most of these countries. Again, these countries STOP educating 80% of their kids by age 16 and some before that. Their special education funds do NOT come out of their public school funds. Compare apples to apples and you get an entirely different picture.
Can you provide any sources for these assertions?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM

Ending Age of Compulsory Education around the World

Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM

989 posts, read 2,962,195 times
The number of years of required education would not affect the cost per year at the student level. The total cost per student would be less if the average number of years of education is lower, but the chart presented was not focused on total cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: