Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,776 times

Advertisements

I'm in San Luis Obispo, and I'm going to be moving to the Twin Cities area in January, driving the whole way. Does anyone know the best (mix between safety and speed) way to drive for someone inexperienced in snow driving, specifically over the Rocky Mountains? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Kipple Snacks; 11-12-2006 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 02:25 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Well...there are many possibilities....but all tied to the weather....so you will have to check the weather carefully along the route before you leave and during the trip. The obvious being said....the least likely route through the Rockies to have snow would be I-10 through southern Arizona to Las Cruces NM...from there though you would have to take the interstate up to ABQ then I-40 east into Oklahoma. I-40 from Barstown to Flagstaff to Gallup then to ABQ would be a logical easiest route for you....Flagstaff gets a good amount of snowfall most winters and the high plateau from east of Flagstaff to Gallup then east of there is also prone for icy/snowy conditions at times. But I-40 would be the best choice, given no weather issues. If weather then I-10 would go through areas further south where snow would be unlikely. Other routes through the Rockies...I-70 through Colorado to Denver would be the worst for driving as it crosses higher mountains and has more snow. I-80 through Wyoming can also be bad at times and can be closed often in snowstorms around Rock Springs and Rawlins.

With the above, if you come out on I-40 east of ABQ ...take I-40 through Amarillo to Oklahoma City then I-35 north through Wichita, KC, Des Moines to MSP. That would be most direct and is a pretty good road. Again, you would need to watch the weather for any plains storms at the time. Also, each state had a Dept of Transportation web site and phone line for which to call to get road information....use it before and along the route. The phone number to call for road info can easily be found via internet under each states DOT web page.

I have driven in snow lots of times,,,and if you run into it...just slow down but dont drive to slow as that is just as bad as driving fast. Be sure to have a winter survival kit along (candles, matches, some food, blankets, boots, shovel, extra wind shield washer fluid, etc)

I hope this helps....

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: