Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 46,003 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a job for about a year now and I simply can't find a thing. I do not however have my high school diploma yet, but I am starting school again in the fall to recieve it since I dropped out of high school in 2003.

Cashering jobs are basically what Im looking for at this point. No retail, cold calling or sales. Maybe hostess but some places need experience in that position. So Ive heard. But if anyone can help me.. please, I'd appreciate your opinions on what I should look for in a job or if anyone knows of anything in cashiering positions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,904 times
No retail meaning no selling? Try Target. All ya do is ring things up.

Really? You need experience to greet and seat people? That's silly.

I'm a tad bit surprised that you haven't found ANYTHING out there...I know times are tough but...

Have you tried all the job search engines?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
No retail meaning no selling? Try Target. All ya do is ring things up.

Really? You need experience to greet and seat people? That's silly.

I'm a tad bit surprised that you haven't found ANYTHING out there...I know times are tough but...

Have you tried all the job search engines?
I can't go to jobs that have drug tests cause I smoke marijuana. And yes Ive looked for everything and anything on the internet and haven't found a thing. Another reason I can't get around is because I don't drive. So its kinda difficult finding a job for me. I just need a little help haha!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 AM

51 posts, read 281,878 times
LOL this post gave me a good chuckle...

Try to stop smoking, your employment options will increase.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Well, you have pretty much eliminated yourself from 99% of the job market. Pretty much every company does drug testing now. Stop smoking pot, get your GED and you will be amazed how much better your life will become.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:19 AM

I havent smoked in like 2 days but that still doesnt matter because its still in my system. Also it takes like a month to get out of your system if you drink enough water. Im starting school in the fall and only have 15 credits left until I graduate.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,703 times
It's fat soluble so it stays stored in your fatty tissues, not to mention your hair.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
It's fat soluble so it stays stored in your fatty tissues, not to mention your hair.
So, what am I supposed to do? Got any suggestions.. this includes for everyone also!!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
Default I hope you really want suggestions!

First, get off the pot. Yes, it will take a few months for it to get out of your system, but it won't start leaving until you quit smoking.
Be honest with prospective employers that you have recently quit and it may still test positive. If you are having trouble staying away from the pot, get help from Narca-Anon or similar group. They really do help. You may have to distance yourself from your friends, too, if they tempt you too much.
Continue with your plans to get your GED. Maybe start thinking about junior college. Have you given any thought to a career, or area of interest?

Do this hard work now and you will thank yourself for the rest of your life. Let me tell you, my husband is almost 50 and finally decided to give up pot. He dropped out of high school and college and never got a degree. He's good at what he does, but the lack of degree still affects him (he's in computers) negatively. And all the smoking he did over the years made it difficult for him to make good decisions. He's got a lot more to overcome at 49 than you do at, what, 21? Perhaps you can learn from that.

Stellar9

Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar9 View Post
First, get off the pot. Yes, it will take a few months for it to get out of your system, but it won't start leaving until you quit smoking.
Be honest with prospective employers that you have recently quit and it may still test positive. If you are having trouble staying away from the pot, get help from Narca-Anon or similar group. They really do help. You may have to distance yourself from your friends, too, if they tempt you too much.
Continue with your plans to get your GED. Maybe start thinking about junior college. Have you given any thought to a career, or area of interest?

Do this hard work now and you will thank yourself for the rest of your life. Let me tell you, my husband is almost 50 and finally decided to give up pot. He dropped out of high school and college and never got a degree. He's good at what he does, but the lack of degree still affects him (he's in computers) negatively. And all the smoking he did over the years made it difficult for him to make good decisions. He's got a lot more to overcome at 49 than you do at, what, 21? Perhaps you can learn from that.

Stellar9
I really appreciate your honesty! And I have been thinking hard about quitting pot because its really not going to get me anywhere in life. After I get my high school diploma I plan on going to college to be a CNA. I've looked into everything and really liked everything I read about that career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota