Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,721 times

Advertisements

1. Which city do you like more??
2. Which city has a brighter future??
3. What are some major differences between the two cities??
4. Which city has better neighborhoods??
5. Which city has a better downtown??
6. Which city is prettier? (Nature and man made)
7. Which is more recognizable on a regional (midwest) and national scale?

I have never been to Rochester, MN. (Well, drove through it once a few years ago, but haven't ''experienced'' it)

Rochester, Minnesota really interests me. It seems like a really cool city, and seems like it has a chance to become MN's next large metro (currently behind Duluth-Superior and St. Cloud)

Duluth, Minnesota obviously has had it's past. Once was a really glamourous city, trying to rebound now, still has tons going on there. To me, Duluth, Minnesota is the worlds smallest 'big city'. Seriously, a town of 90,000 people sometimes feels like a town of 5,000 with recognizable faces, etc.

Rochester and Duluth could not represent any different geography of MN than they do now. Duluth is located in the NE Arrowhead. With pine trees, hills, and bluffs, not to mention Lake Superior. Rochester is in corn country, ligh rolling hills.

In 1970 Duluth, Minnesota had about 105,000 people and Rochester, Minnesota had about 55,000. 40 years later and Rochester sits at about 100,000 and Duluth is at about 90,000. Is this a representation of the future for the respective cities?

Let's hear it from C-D users?

Rochester, Minnesota
About 100,000 people
Founded 1854
14 Buildings over 10 stories
IBM and Mayo Clinic as Major Employers
Century, Mayo and John Marshall + Lourdes High Schools
University of Minnesota-Rochester

Duluth, Minnesota
About 90,000 people
Founded 1857
16 Buildings over 10 stories
SMDC and Cirrus Design as Major Employers
Denfeld, East and Central + Marshall High Schools
University of Minnesota-Duluth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM

164 posts, read 334,597 times
Never been to Rochester, but from what I know:
Rochester.
Rochester, hands down.
Rochester has money, they've got a lot of doctors and I'm pretty sure the city's ave. income is even quite a bit higher than the state's. Rochester's actually growing, Duluth's crumbling.
My guess would be Rochester, especially with the doctors.
Don't know.
Don't know, but Duluth is pretty if you like old and crumbling buildings, it shows when our tallest building turns 100 yrs. old this year.
Probably Duluth; though the Mayo clinic is a very recognizable name, I wonder how many people know which city it's actually in and I guess nation-wide most people think Rochester is in New York.

Denfeld, East and Central + Marshall High Schools

Not true anymore, this last school year was the last for Central (my alma mater), this upcoming school year I think it's just down to East and Denfeld, with Denfeld going to Central's building for a year. In the past 3 decades Duluth has gone from 4 public high schools to two.

I don't think Cirrus is that big of an employer, the second biggest employer after St. Mary's is school district, then it's the county, then UMD->City->St. Luke's; at least according to City-data statistics, though that was in 2005 so it's changed as the city layed-off some 170 people 2 years ago and the school district has been laying-off people over time and in the next two years are probably going to lay-off lots of people; I know Cirrus has layed-off lots of people too.

Anyways there are more threads similar to this:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...itan-area.html

Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
Duluth. I've been to Rochester several times and it's nice, but I prefer Duluth.
I'd say Rochester, but just like Duluth depended too much on one industry or two (mining, steel making) You'd have to ask how is our healthcare reform going to affect Mayo? What if IBM pulls the plug or reduces its workforce?
University of MN Rochester was just started. Rochester has the State backing a Bio-Sciences program in the city. It'd be nice if the state backed a huge new industry like that here. Obviously geography.
That's total a preference question. It depends on what you like. Obviously not central Hillside or Lincoln Park. Not sure if Rochester has anything close to neighborhoods like that.
Duluth's is getting a major makeover along East Superior Street but, I'd say Rochester's is newer but newer doesn't always equal better.
The Zombrota (sp) River adds some interesting scenery in Roch, but the Lake is opretty hard to beat in Duluth.
Probably Duluth, but a lot of people mix it up with the Atlanta Suburb now.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,442 times
I don't think Cirrus is that big of an employer, the second biggest employer after St. Mary's is school district, then it's the county, then UMD->City->St. Luke's; at least according to City-data statistics, though that was in 2005 so it's changed as the city layed-off some 170 people 2 years ago and the school district has been laying-off people over time and in the next two years are probably going to lay-off lots of people; I know Cirrus has layed-off lots of people too.

Anyways there are more threads similar to this:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/minnesota/834268-minnesotan-metropolitan-area.html[/quote]

SMDC has 5200 employees, St. Louis Couty has 1900, Miner's Inc (Hermantown) (Super One Foods) has 1900, UMD has 1700 (you'd think it would be more), UnitedHealth has 1600, St Luke's has 1600, Duluth Schools 1400, and Allete 1400. Leading Employers | NorthlandConnection.com | The Northland

Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Rochester and yes, I have lived in both.
Rochester. In reference to the comment about healthcare, Mayo Clinic employs over 34,000 people in Rochester alone. I don't see what happened to Duluth happening to Rochester. As far as IBM, the number of employees in Rochester has continued to drop. It's only about 4000 now. I don't think it would have too great an impact if they pulled out completely.
Rochester is growing. Duluth is stagnant. Rochester has much, much, much more diversity and culture.
Rochester. There is pride in ownership in Rochester and you can tell. There aren't run-down neighborhoods like you find in Duluth. There are beautiful older homes, although I guess there are some neighborhoods that are just full of cookie-cutter housing, so that's not as nice. But I do appreciate the fact that people keep their yards clean, put an effort into making their house nice even if they can't afford to repaint or reside.
Rochester - although Duluth's has potential to surpass with the more historical feel, but definitely Rochester's at this point.
Nature - Duluth. Man-Made - Rochester - again pride in ownership and the city makes an effort to keep the city clean. I live on the outskirts of town and have seen the street sweepers out in my area at least 4 times already this year.
That's a toss-up. I agree with the comment about people thinking New York as far as Rochester but I also don't think Duluth is well-known enough for people to know where it is either.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Bump

Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 AM

256 posts, read 664,318 times
@Kid Cann awesome name by the way--is it after the legendary MN mobster? My dad grew up in Minneapolis and talks about him a lot. Anyway, thanks for this topic. I'm trying to decide on a move to Rochester or Tucson, and there is not a whole lot of info on this city that isn't about "Minnesota Nice."

Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
@Kid Cann awesome name by the way--is it after the legendary MN mobster? My dad grew up in Minneapolis and talks about him a lot. Anyway, thanks for this topic. I'm trying to decide on a move to Rochester or Tucson, and there is not a whole lot of info on this city that isn't about "Minnesota Nice."
Yes sir, you are correct. Minneapolis' most notorious gangster. He'd make those Dipset fools on the northside pee in their little baggy pants.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 24,286 times
Duluth is better. Move there. It has lake Superior for a view and it has Glensheen Manshion and WAY better. I'd sugest there.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higglez123 View Post
Duluth is better. Move there. It has lake Superior for a view and it has Glensheen Manshion and WAY better. I'd sugest there.
Is this sarcasm? You had me until Glensheen Mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota