Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,424 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just accepted a summer job in Hibbing for May-August 2010. I am from New Mexico and I have never been to Minnesota or anywhere near Minnesota. What do I need to know before I drive up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM

160 posts, read 454,595 times
Hibbing is "wayyy up Nort!" Beautiful and quiet. If you're a city boy, you won't like it. If you like the beauty of God's creation, like hunting and fishing.....you're in heaven!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Being it's a summer job from May-Aug, you should be experiencing some of the greatest weather in the nation. ( IMHO)-------enjoy !

Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,631 times
Since your job is only 4 months I'd say you'll have a great time in Hibbing, especially July & August. If you have the time - even for a day - go to Duluth and experience Lake Superior. It is not far from Hibbing if you have a vehicle. But don't be surprised if there are no leaves on the trees yet when you arrive in May. Once they come though, it is beautiful! Oh, bring a few warm items to wear in May - "just in case". Enjoy your stay!!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Visit Grand Rapids too. And don't be surprised if some people in Hibbing aren't very friendly. It's not uncommon on the Iron Range for that to happen. Lived there and experienced it. Go to the Hull Rust Mine - largest open pit mine while there and be sure to have Sammy's Pizza.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
If you like Bob Dylan at all, Hibbing is where he grew up from ages 5 to 17 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOeBfOX7Ys

Old 12-29-2009, 04:29 PM

75 posts, read 188,804 times
It is cooler and Hibbing is small rural town probably not much to do, fishing if you like that.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

118 posts, read 316,450 times
There is a law against dancing in this town. The town preacher has a big influence on all the people. You need to go there and cause trouble and hold a dance just outside city limits to show everybody dancing is not evil. You need to get your Footloose!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,424 times
Thank's for all the great advice. I do like the outdoors etc. while I am not a big hunter/fisher, I like hiking and wandering around. I will actually be working for an iron mine while I am there.

As for the dancing thing, that is a major bummer. I actually used to teach a country dancing class at my school. Oh well.

Thanks again for all your advice. Please keep it coming

Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Never been to Hibbing, but given that the chamber of commerce sponsors a street dance I'm assuming that the Footloose reference is a joke. You should be able to dance as much as you'd like. That part of the state also has a polka tradition; I don't know how much of it is still around, but maybe you can find some good old-fashioned MN traditional polka opportunities. (it is, after all, home to the Polka Mass (http://www.rangenet.com/~frperk/ - broken link), among other things...)

I'm hoping to get up there this summer to visit the mines and to visit the Greyhound Bus Museum. It sounds interesting in a quirky way.

And I'll echo the recommendations to get over to Duluth when you have a chance. It would be a shame to visit MN and not see Lake Superior.

On the way back home try to find time to stop at the Minnesota State Fair (in the Twin Cities); it runs from late August to Labor Day. It's one of the biggest in the country and is worth the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota