Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 AM

8 posts, read 11,386 times

Advertisements

We are are moving out to the USA within the next 6 months. My husband will be working in New Orleans. We have three children and are not sure which area to move to. Ocean Springs looks beautiful? Could anyone tell me where the nearest junior ice hockey club would be to Ocean Springs? My son is 16 and has been playing in the UK since the age of 7. Here in the UK we live in a very quiet town. Comes alive in the summer, but is so slow the rest of the year. Moving to New Orleans would be to great a move for them thats why I am trying to find somehwere with a slower pace of life. Also does anyone know what kind of cost is involved to rent a house for a family of 5? One more question? I would like to bring my cats with me? Does anyone have an opinion on bringing pets to somewhere like Ocean Springs? We think the relocation will be for about three years? So leaving them behind would break the kids hearts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Ice hockey? What's that?

Cats OK.

I'd contact the Ocean Springs Chamber of Commerce for rental information. Don't know anything about it, myself.

Most of us love Ocean Springs, and I'm betting that you will too.

New Orleans is not the environment to raise a family in. On the other hand, if you have a pet cockroach, he'll fit right in.

To you, the heat will be nearly unbearable. I have seen Brits and other Europeans suffer in that heat, but you will survive.

Sounds like you're off to a great adventure! Go for it!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your reply. If there isn't any hockey? Can you tell me how far I would have to travel to the nearest ice rink/team?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
There is a pro hockey team called the Mississippi Surge that plays in Biloxi with website called www.mssurge.com.

You could probably email them and enquire about youth hockey opportunities if they have that in the area.

For rental housing, you could try craigslist.com. I suspect finding something affordable in the Ocean Springs area will not be a problem. If you want to be closer to New Orleans, you might consider Diamondhead, a golf course community right of I-10 in Hancock County, which is very nice with plenty of new homes and also relatively affordable.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:21 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Ice hockey is not a big sport in the US, especially the southern US - it's almost nonexistent. You should definitely follow up on brickpatio's advice. That's your best chance.

Cats are totally fine. We are looking to relocate to Manchester so we may pass in the air! I don't know what the pet requirements are for getting into the US. We aren't looking forward to getting our little guys into the UK though.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
We aren't looking forward to getting our little guys into the UK though.

I think that it's very difficult to get animals into the UK because of the rabies issue. They have not had a case of rabies for years and they absolutely do not want to take a chance. I remember years ago, Liz Taylor (I think) was unable to bring her pets into England.
Probably any animals coming into the US would be welcomed w/ a vet's report.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 AM

Thanks all. I would have a very unhappy teenager if we can't find a hockey team so will check out what you advise.. As for Cats? I think you just have to get a cat passport which means they must have the rabies vac 6 mths before travel? In the UK its a goverment programme which you have to do etc... Coming back from the USA its the same. The vaccinations must be completed 6mths previous, plus worming etc. We are hoping to come out in the next few months and its a massive move for us. We live on the Isle of Wight right at the bottom of the UK. Its a tiny place, villages, fields, a tourist place and everybody knows everybody. So Manchester would be a really big move for us too. I believe that Manchester is fantatsic place, full of life, culture, arts etc. I wish you goodluck coming this way...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
I always wanted to visit the Isle of Wight.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow38 View Post
Thanks all. I would have a very unhappy teenager if we can't find a hockey team so will check out what you advise.. As for Cats? I think you just have to get a cat passport which means they must have the rabies vac 6 mths before travel? In the UK its a goverment programme which you have to do etc... Coming back from the USA its the same. The vaccinations must be completed 6mths previous, plus worming etc. We are hoping to come out in the next few months and its a massive move for us. We live on the Isle of Wight right at the bottom of the UK. Its a tiny place, villages, fields, a tourist place and everybody knows everybody. So Manchester would be a really big move for us too. I believe that Manchester is fantatsic place, full of life, culture, arts etc. I wish you goodluck coming this way...
I wish you the best. The Manchester move isn't solid yet. My husband has been doing phone interviews. We're waiting to see if the company is willing to sponsor our visas.

I don't know if the cat rules coming into the US are as strict as leaving. We have rabies here in the States so I'm not sure it's as serious as it is for island countries.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:33 PM

105 posts, read 274,072 times
I have a daughter that moved from Mississippi to the U K. She is well pleased with her daughters schooling there & she likes the idea of walking, riding a bicycle, or catching a train instead of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi