Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
AH. NOW we've got a real conversation going. The thing is, there is just no opportunity in the delta. To give an exaggerated example, I could be the best CPA in the world, have an MBA from Harvard, and so forth, and I still could not find a decent position.
So the people with brains and education leave. They go to Memphis and Atlanta and Birmingham. The rest stay.
Well, we can't just abandon the residents of some poor crumbling town. We have to do something for them, and that's what welfare is for.
And for those types of people, moving is just too scary; they're not going to do it. PLUS, having children seems to pay more, since they get paid every time one hatches. So the poor population - unemployable as they are - just continues to grow.

Are you ready for the solution? Pay them not to have children. They have figured out that having children "pays" and it won't take very long for them to figure out that not having children "pays" even more.
I can only imagine the howling about such a program, but with modifications and qualifications I would implement it if I were King of Mississippi.

What's the difference between 'not enough jobs' and 'too many people'? Functionally, there is none. We can't just command companies to move to the delta, and companies have made it very clear they ain't going, so decreasing the other side of the equation would make it balance.
Why are there almost no chain restaurants, retailers, or corporations located in the Delta? Not that Applebee's is a sign of wealth or success, but can you even find one in Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Negro is not the n-word. The n-word is the word which is extremely offensive. Black people belong to the Negroid race. Besides, how do you know the police office was white, as in Caucasoid if he was on the radio?
I was talking to him while he was in the car ON (as in using) the radio. Saying "negro" is not custom anywhere that I'm familiar with, even in eastern Mississippi I don't hear people say that.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM

74 posts, read 171,701 times
ColdAilment is right, even in Eastern Miss they don't say Negro. They go full out with the other N word and act like it's a good thing.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerhacke View Post
ColdAilment is right, even in Eastern Miss they don't say Negro. They go full out with the other N word and act like it's a good thing.
As a matter of fact they do, it's repeated daily on the evening news.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why are there almost no chain restaurants, retailers, or corporations located in the Delta? Not that Applebee's is a sign of wealth or success, but can you even find one in Greenville?
I dunno. I sure wouldn't put one there. Maybe they all see it the same way I do.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Because, as I said earlier, after people are through paying their children's (and grandchildren's and great-grandchildren's) private school tuition, there is no money left over for much of anything.

And similar to the situation with movie theatres, even if they DID open an Applebee's, one portion of the population notorious for being high-maintenance and bad tippers would keep away the portion of the population which behaves and leaves tips.

For those who have a little money left over after helping pay private school tuition for their descendants and impoverished cousins, and the children of pitiful people in their churches (whose kids were sent to the hospital by bullies in public schools, and at age ten have already attempted suicide) there are other expenses. Because of the agricultural chemicals sprayed all over everything, Leukemia and other expensive diseases are rampant. Those who have a little money tend to give to people with dying children, dying husbands...

Then there's the Random Enrichment Tax, which strikes in 'enriched' areas without warning. When you're lucky, it's just a broken window in your car - two, maybe three hundred Dollars. Or maybe it's the ceiling fan off your porch, or a bicycle. Some people have their homes burgled over and over. Others are hit with 'assessments' which run into the hundreds of thousands: head injuries , death - stuff like that.

And every time the Random Enrichment Tax 'happens', that's a little less money people have for spending on luxuries like eating out.

I would add that people in 'enriched' areas quickly learn that avoiding places where people have been drinking (OK, and pretty-much avoiding going out at night) is a good way to avoid 'incidents'. One 'incident' can result in your husband landing in jail for a few hours for trying to defend you. Your DH may leave the holding cell having been gang-raped, with permanent brain damage, and with the HIV virus. Trifecta! And all because you just had to have some onion rings and riblets. Worth it?

As someone who has played with retail development speculation, I can tell you that retailers are desperate to get away from customers who steal, customers who deliberately fall so they can sue, customers who follow other customers home in order to rob or rape them, customers who abduct other customers from parking lots, and customers who rob and rape right there in the parking lot. They also would rather be in places where they can choose from a selection of possible employees less likely to steal/embezzle/work with thieves on the outside. They really do not make any money dealing with situations like this one, involving an employee from the Delta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaptsFK9LsU This is simply more dramatic than usual, but is fundamentally no different from the usual day-to-day shrinkage obliterating profits. And I'm sure that the particular dynamic in evidence in that video is one reason why it's tough to make money in retail or industry in the Delta.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-13-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM

177 posts, read 971,606 times
With the exception of fast food chains, there hasn't been a chain restaurant (Applebee's type) in Greenville since the mid-80s and that was a Western Sizzlin. Those types in most of the Delta have almost always been private-owned restaurants.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM

26 posts, read 55,489 times
Except for Shoneys and Pasquales. Not bragging about them, but they have hung in there.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiK View Post
Except for Shoneys and Pasquales. Not bragging about them, but they have hung in there.
Now I want a roast beef covered in gravy.

Is Sherman's still there? Fermos (sp?)?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
I think Garfield's is still in operation in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi