Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
I visited on a day trip from Yazoo City, came up on the train, this on a Thursday, the new train and greyhound station - great - then a building site and boarded up shops. Virtually no-one out on the street, no shops, no cafes, no signs directing visitors to the museums and attractions, made it to the Old Capitol Museum, great, then struggled to find anywhere to eat. It's great they're doing up East Capitol Street, let's hope they get some shops, cafes and restaurants moving in but as a tourist my first impressions were not good - maybe I just went the wrong way - so where is this bustling bit - it ain't downtown that's for sure - I will go back as I've not yet visited the Museums on Pascagoula Street, but it would be nice to know where the bustling areas are, and if you can get there walking or by bus from the train.
Jackson is not a bustling city. The museums are spread out, there are very few "cafes" in the city of Jackson, and businesses aren't exactly thriving, at least the touristy ones. Jackson is the last place I would go to tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 PM

110 posts, read 165,780 times
They're trying to get people in, with their fancy brochure (on-line and hard copy) saying how much there is to see and do around town, so it is being heavily promoted and sure, the museums are great, but I seemed to be one of the rare few taking them up on it - presumably a lot of locals know what it's like so don't go.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
They're trying to get people in, with their fancy brochure (on-line and hard copy) saying how much there is to see and do around town, so it is being heavily promoted and sure, the museums are great, but I seemed to be one of the rare few taking them up on it - presumably a lot of locals know what it's like so don't go.
Dave, are you still in the area? Have you had a chance to meet local people much?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:14 PM

110 posts, read 165,780 times
Loads - Yazoo City is a great little town - beautiful Main Street - just today a gentleman I'd met at a downtown bar at last night's Karaoke session (yes, I got up half a dozen times) pulled up on the street and offered a tour in his car - 2hrs all round, right into the Delta - everyone is so friendly and welcoming - first time at Tom's on Main Street and he knew my name already - it's nice to be somewhere this welcoming, made loads of friends already - it was just the capital that was a let down.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Loads - Yazoo City is a great little town - beautiful Main Street - just today a gentleman I'd met at a downtown bar at last night's Karaoke session (yes, I got up half a dozen times) pulled up on the street and offered a tour in his car - 2hrs all round, right into the Delta - everyone is so friendly and welcoming - first time at Tom's on Main Street and he knew my name already - it's nice to be somewhere this welcoming, made loads of friends already - it was just the capital that was a let down.
Wonderful!
We're from Mississippi, and a local character in Clarksdale took us around with the same sort of spontaneous tour. It happens.

Glad it's working well for you!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalmud' View Post
Oih vey ! who cares about Jackson Mississippi other than those already there ? if you're already in Mississippi you're probably obliged to be there or stuck somehow !

Let me assure you, across this great diverse nation of the USA, few people give Jackson a thought.
This ^

Jackson is by no means a lost or hidden jewel buried in the South. One thing is for certain though, and that is that Jackson is buried, underneath the weight of its own failures. No one outside of Mississippi cares about Jackson, it's a city that was never known for much of anything, and it will continue limping along in the shadows of the "has been" cities.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 PM

The saving grace is that there is a Jackson in probably every state. And maybe when people speak poorly of "Jackson" everyone will assume they are talking about their own state.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:54 AM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Jackson's problem is the local government. They haven't had a decent mayor there in over 20 years.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
One thing interesting about Jackson is that it really didn't begin to grow rapidly until the 1920s. According to the 1920 census, Jackson had about 23,000 people. Even the 1950 census showed the city as under 100,000.

Jackson, Mississippi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM

93 posts, read 216,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTalmud' View Post
Oih vey ! who cares about Jackson Mississippi other than those already there ? if you're already in Mississippi you're probably obliged to be there or stuck somehow !

Let me assure you, across this great diverse nation of the USA, few people give Jackson a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No one outside of Mississippi cares about Jackson, it's a city that was never known for much of anything, and it will continue limping along in the shadows of the "has been" cities.
Oy vey indeed!! 'nobody outside of Mississippi cares' - well duh, do y'suppose that's why this is posted in the Mississippi forum ? Y'all are real bright.

Mississippians are right to be interested in how Jackson fares, since it's the capital city. The rest of y'all are free to ignore us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi