Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM

15 posts, read 19,947 times

Advertisements

I am currently going to be joining a new agent in the Tupelo area. Could anyone tell me how the entertainment scene is within Tupelo proper or of any good areas around the general northeast area? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Not sure what you mean by entertainment scene.
If you are looking for a single style night life scene, I really don't think Tupelo will rank highly, but that's going to depend on where you came from and what you are used to. The reputation here is, that Tupelo is a hard town to break in to, socially. Everyone in Tupelo, it seems, is from Tupelo.

What age group are you, and what are you looking for?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Thank you for the reply. I am in my 40s and just looking for local music and such. I am beyond the age of bar-hopping. Just a relaxed atmosphere.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Thank you for the reply. I am in my 40s and just looking for local music and such. I am beyond the age of bar-hopping. Just a relaxed atmosphere.
Oh. You might actually find a lot that you enjoy!
We have the Fairpark series during the summer. There is music, sometimes a movie. It's held outdoors. Free. Bring a chair, buy a beer.
Numerous downtown festivals; all of them low key, most with local music. Buy a hot dog; buy some chilli, buy a beer.
Elvis festival every year. Costs a little bit. We saw Little Richard one year. Outside, just dragged our chair right up to where he was playing and singing. He talked to the small crowd; sang.
There is always something going on at what we call the Link Center. This week it's highbrow music - chamber music. Don't know if we'll go or not, but we go often. Folk; Blues; soloists; just about everything you can name.
Gay community, but they don't all hang out together. They just mingle in with us straights.
Great baseball team and field in Memphis (90 miles away) - the Redbirds, AAA for the Cardinals. We usually go a couple times a year and spend the night. Eat barbeque on Beale street or eat at the ballpark.

And depending on which realtor you are going with - initials will do, I know them all - you may be fixed up with a date before you can get settled in. Our favorite realtor just isn't happy unless everyone has a date for everything. Boys and girls, both! We saw her Friday night when we went out for Mexican and she was tearing her hair out because her newly single brother in law won't go out with her friend at work...

If you are Baptist, that's good. But Methodist also has a huge presence. I'm none of the above, and I'm comfortable, too, so church isn't as mandatory as outsiders like to think. But, CAUTION!, you will be asked where you go to church. It's a Southern thing. Just say you haven't decided and ask where they go. They'll tell you all about it.

If you are looking for a way to start a conversation, act interested and maybe confused and ask if the person has ever eaten at Vanelli's. (They will have) And then ask if the food is good. People will feel sorry for you for not having eaten there and not knowing who Papa V was. They may adopt you.

PM me if you need help...

Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
If you are Catholic, St. James Catholic Church is on Highway 145 on the north side of Tupelo.

St. James Catholic Church Tupelo |

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If you are Catholic, St. James Catholic Church is on Highway 145 on the north side of Tupelo.

St. James Catholic Church Tupelo |
Well, actually, even if you are not Catholic, it is still there.....

Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Oh. You might actually find a lot that you enjoy!
We have the Fairpark series during the summer. There is music, sometimes a movie. It's held outdoors. Free. Bring a chair, buy a beer.
Numerous downtown festivals; all of them low key, most with local music. Buy a hot dog; buy some chilli, buy a beer.
Elvis festival every year. Costs a little bit. We saw Little Richard one year. Outside, just dragged our chair right up to where he was playing and singing. He talked to the small crowd; sang.
There is always something going on at what we call the Link Center. This week it's highbrow music - chamber music. Don't know if we'll go or not, but we go often. Folk; Blues; soloists; just about everything you can name.
Gay community, but they don't all hang out together. They just mingle in with us straights.
Great baseball team and field in Memphis (90 miles away) - the Redbirds, AAA for the Cardinals. We usually go a couple times a year and spend the night. Eat barbeque on Beale street or eat at the ballpark.

And depending on which realtor you are going with - initials will do, I know them all - you may be fixed up with a date before you can get settled in. Our favorite realtor just isn't happy unless everyone has a date for everything. Boys and girls, both! We saw her Friday night when we went out for Mexican and she was tearing her hair out because her newly single brother in law won't go out with her friend at work...

If you are Baptist, that's good. But Methodist also has a huge presence. I'm none of the above, and I'm comfortable, too, so church isn't as mandatory as outsiders like to think. But, CAUTION!, you will be asked where you go to church. It's a Southern thing. Just say you haven't decided and ask where they go. They'll tell you all about it.

If you are looking for a way to start a conversation, act interested and maybe confused and ask if the person has ever eaten at Vanelli's. (They will have) And then ask if the food is good. People will feel sorry for you for not having eaten there and not knowing who Papa V was. They may adopt you.

PM me if you need help...
Thank you for the nice reply. That helps quite a bit. I just made it in and relaxing. The drive through Birmingham was quite the experience this morning

I will definitely get in touch with you if I have any more questions. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Thank you for the nice reply. That helps quite a bit. I just made it in and relaxing. The drive through Birmingham was quite the experience this morning

I will definitely get in touch with you if I have any more questions. Thank you.
Birmingham has some of the worst driving conditions (i.e. drivers and freeway arrangements) in the U.S. Memphis is in the same category. The last 5 years of my working life I drove a big rig and put 750,000 miles on it, so I have been just about everywhere.
Traffic in Atlanta is really fast, but those drivers are very skillful. Memphis is fast and careless. Birmingham is slow, fast, careless, and unskilled.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,195 times
Ok I am relocating to Tupelo from Delaware definitely southern girl at heart love my country music trucks horses dogs etc.......will in be tough to become friends with people in Tupelo? Being a single female will there be places to meet fun people?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty cowgirl View Post
Ok I am relocating to Tupelo from Delaware definitely southern girl at heart love my country music trucks horses dogs etc.......will in be tough to become friends with people in Tupelo? Being a single female will there be places to meet fun people?
It can be a bit tough. But a lot of that depends on your job and whether it exposes you to people like yourself.

On the other hand, Mississippi people are a lot like rural Delaware/Eastern Shore Maryland/NE Virginia people. I know it sounds unlikely, but there is a similarity that made me feel comfortable when I was in those areas. You'll see it immediately when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi