Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:40 PM

42 posts, read 54,383 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

So like the title of my posts suggests, I will be graduating from college here in NY next spring with a degree in English Education for the middle/high school level. I have lived in New York City for most of my life, and honestly I do not care much at all for the endless crowds, dirty sidewalks, and rude nature of many of the people here. I have only truly been to MS once while driving through to get to FL, but from what I encountered and saw in the Gulfport/Biloxi area I pretty much fell in love with the state. I have many questions about MS, but I will start with the most basic one for me: Are there many jobs available for English teachers, and if so, which county(s) offer them most readily? I am open to virtually any and all that are hiring. Also, what would be some good areas for a single, twenty-two year old male such as myself to look at potentially moving to? What is the overall quality of life there? I would preferably like to find somewhere suburban/rural as opposed to a bustling city; that is what I am looking to escape from in NY. Overall, I am really looking for areas that would just be welcoming to someone such as myself, an ex-New Yorker, while also offering some things to do for someone my age around the town. Some additional things about me, if they help, would be that I am a pretty strong conservative, Catholic (but not too religious at all), love the outdoors, all sports (particularly tennis), hunting (want to get into it more, as it is not too common up here in NY) and fishing all the time. If anyone could provide me with any information here that would be great, I thank you all for any help you can give me with here and if you need me to list anything else just let me know, thanks again and it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:14 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,992,625 times
I would recommend the Memphis metro area or the Coast. Maybe Jackson metro. Those will be where the best schools are and the most stuff to do. Hunting and fishing is everywhere in MS. More Catholicism on the Coast probably. Hattiesburg area is up and coming, so I hear. I can't verify that.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:00 PM

799 posts, read 1,066,759 times
You wont' have a problem finding a job here being a teacher considering the state has a major teacher shortage. If you want a city with lost to do then like has been said, you probably want to move to the coast or the metro areas of Memphis or Jackson. But the Delta is in desperate need of teachers.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGChargers123 View Post
Hello everyone,

So like the title of my posts suggests, I will be graduating from college here in NY next spring with a degree in English Education for the middle/high school level. I have lived in New York City for most of my life, and honestly I do not care much at all for the endless crowds, dirty sidewalks, and rude nature of many of the people here. I have only truly been to MS once while driving through to get to FL, but from what I encountered and saw in the Gulfport/Biloxi area I pretty much fell in love with the state. I have many questions about MS, but I will start with the most basic one for me: Are there many jobs available for English teachers, and if so, which county(s) offer them most readily? I am open to virtually any and all that are hiring. Also, what would be some good areas for a single, twenty-two year old male such as myself to look at potentially moving to? What is the overall quality of life there? I would preferably like to find somewhere suburban/rural as opposed to a bustling city; that is what I am looking to escape from in NY. Overall, I am really looking for areas that would just be welcoming to someone such as myself, an ex-New Yorker, while also offering some things to do for someone my age around the town. Some additional things about me, if they help, would be that I am a pretty strong conservative, Catholic (but not too religious at all), love the outdoors, all sports (particularly tennis), hunting (want to get into it more, as it is not too common up here in NY) and fishing all the time. If anyone could provide me with any information here that would be great, I thank you all for any help you can give me with here and if you need me to list anything else just let me know, thanks again and it is greatly appreciated!
Take a trip down to Bay St. Louis.
Bay St. Louis Old Town, Mississippi Gulf Coast - Home

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,248,932 times
As an English teacher you'll have your work cut out for you. Your first task will be to try and figure out the local dialect so you can communicate with the locals. In some extremely rural parts of the state it only passingly resembles English, and it varies wildly from one part of the state to another. Some residents from different areas can barely understand each other. I've traveled a lot and have a good ear, and one time I literally had to translate between someone from north Alabama (edge of Appalachia) and someone else from extreme south-west MS (edge of Cajun country, but this guy had a heavy accent).

No location anywhere near Mississippi is even remotely close to New York City. The NYC itself has a population of 8.4 million people crammed into about 300 square miles. The NYC Metro has a population of about 20 million in 13,000 square miles.

The entire state of Mississippi has a population of about 3 million spread out over 48,000 square miles.

To follow up on what's been said before, you won't have a problem finding a job. What you will have a problem with is finding a job with sufficient pay. MS's taxpayers are notoriously tight with money, and many uneducated types see teaching as a cushy job not worthy of decent pay. You only work 7 hours a day for 9 months, right?

Also, many in Mississippi don't view an education as a priority. "Teaching to the test" is about as far as many go.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:11 PM

93,478 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
You wont' have a problem finding a job here being a teacher considering the state has a major teacher shortage. If you want a city with lost to do then like has been said, you probably want to move to the coast or the metro areas of Memphis or Jackson. But the Delta is in desperate need of teachers.
Is this true about the Delta? I'm curious, because I have roots in Holmes County, as well as Leflore County.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM

MsAl Line and Sammy Reynolds:
Thanks for the information, really do appreciate it. In particular, are there any specific towns/cities along the coast that you guys would recommend, as I take it that the coastline and Memphis area are my best bets and I would definitely like to find out a bit more about them. Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Just checked out the link, and the place does look awesome. I have to make it a priority to see it in person real soon haha!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this true about the Delta? I'm curious, because I have roots in Holmes County, as well as Leflore County.
Partially, I think. That's because the delta is losing population steadily. Holmes county, for example, peaked at 39,000 people in 1940. They are now at about 18,500 and still shrinking. Shrank 11% between 2000 & 2010, and projected to shrink another 10% by 2020.

So the statement that teachers are badly needed is true because the people that are left in these counties of the delta have children who need teaching. On the other hand, it would not take much imagination to see that there used to be a whole lot more teachers in Holmes county than there are today, and teacher turnover is a problem. There will be very few career teachers who see their career through to the end in Holmes county.

Holmes is typical of delta counties.
The tax base of delta counties is the stuff of nightmares.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGChargers123 View Post
Just checked out the link, and the place does look awesome. I have to make it a priority to see it in person real soon haha!
Take your favorite person and stay at Bay Town Inn.
Bay Town Inn - Bay Town Inn | Bed & Breakfast

Every single business in Bay St Louis sports a brand new sign that says "ALL are welcome here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi