Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,388,011 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/us...ting.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
I am certain there is more to the story...

Red Flags:

There was a warrant for his arrest for "Theft by Deception". Who's to say there wasn't a bulletin out with the make, model, and tag number for his vehicle?

Also, he ran, hid, then attacked the officer.

Don't run from the cops or try to fight them and most of the time you will walk away. In his case he would go to jail, therefore he fought.

Don't care if you think i'm wrong or racist. I'm certainly not the latter, but I do believe that if you don't break the law and don't fight the cops you stand a much better chance not to get killed by them.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 AM

135 posts, read 93,875 times
I have always felt that the police should not fire unless someone is being a threat to them. Running away from a police officer will never be justifiable and considered a threatening action. It is very disturbing to use that action as a defense to say that the police was in the right and that they were doing their job. It is not a justifiable shooting, it is murder and should be charged as a criminal crime.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:14 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
I have always felt that the police should not fire unless someone is being a threat to them. Running away from a police officer will never be justifiable and considered a threatening action. It is very disturbing to use that action as a defense to say that the police was in the right and that they were doing their job. It is not a justifiable shooting, it is murder and should be charged as a criminal crime.
You didn't read the article, did you?
No, you did not. Or if you did you have a comprehension problem...

Quote:
Mr. Shumpert hid in the crawl space under a house, then attacked Officer Cook, who had been searching for Mr. Shumpert with a police dog.
Want pictures? Here. I'll give you one:

City releases photo of Tupelo officer involved in shooting - Daily Journal

This is what your "innocent victim" did to an armed police officer before he was finally "murdered", as you so stupidly put it. Of course you could have looked all that up yourself, but you didn't.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Running away from a police officer will never be justifiable and considered a threatening action.
I agree, and have spoken out against police when that happens, however, how hard is it to understand that if you attack a police officer you ARE a threat.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You didn't read the article, did you?
No, you did not. Or if you did you have a comprehension problem...

Want pictures? Here. I'll give you one:

City releases photo of Tupelo officer involved in shooting - Daily Journal

This is what your "innocent victim" did to an armed police officer before he was finally "murdered", as you so stupidly put it. Of course you could have looked all that up yourself, but you didn't.
Where you there to know if he attacked the officer? If you didn't see anything with your own two eyes don't speak on what you don't know. The officer doesn't looked like he was attacked, where is the bruises? looks like dried up blood on his face.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Where you there to know if he attacked the officer? If you didn't see anything with your own two eyes don't speak on what you don't know. The officer doesn't looked like he was attacked, where is the bruises? looks like dried up blood on his face.

That's funny!

Old 08-08-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

That's funny!
My point exactly. Can't believe everything you read, see, and hear. Especially mainstream media.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
My point exactly. Can't believe everything you read, see, and hear. Especially mainstream media.
But that only applies to us mortals, right. You, on the other hand, can just invent your own reality and wave it around declaring it to be the truth. You can dismiss the findings of all elected and hired officials, dismiss what is reported by numerous media outlets, fill in the blanks any way you want and declare the police department to be full of murderers. You alone.

Nah. Justice was served when the officer finally managed to get his gun out and shoot the guy 4 times at point blank range. Personally, I would have emptied the gun, gone back to the car for more ammunition and emptied it again. So I think the officer was pretty restrained.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:12 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
It does seem like when ever the cops shoot somebody, about 95% of the time it's because the person who was shot did not co-operate with the cops.

It doesn't matter what color you are, if you don't co-operate with the cops, or if you act like you're going to attack the cop or go for his gun, there's a chance you might get shot, because the cops will shoot, and that, my fellow readers, is a fact. And that's the conversation every parent in America needs to have with their kids, regardless of race, creed, color, nationality, gender.

I'm white and I think if I acted like I was gonna physically attack the cop that pulled me over, or I was gonna go for his gun I think there would be a good chance the cop would shoot me before I had a chance to lay a hand on him.

I don't believe for a minute that cops are singling out people of certain races to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: