Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:44 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Again.
Exiting Mississippi: Census finds state again loses people
Could they be going to Lake Oswego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,895,429 times
Its not that we are losing population as much as who we are losing. We are mostly losing the best and brightest while those with little motivation are staying and reproducing.

There needs to be a mass evacuation of the Delta, there are very few good jobs there and will never be...

Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
From my work experience, I know for a fact that the census bureau admits they don't accurate count rural cities (I can't remember the exact size, but I want to say it was under 50,000). I hope this is the case across Mississippi.

Even still, what can be accurately inferred is that there is a serious problem with the brain drain.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
If i were just graduating college I wouldn't stay here either. Go someplace else and make some money. People here won't pay you squat.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
If i were just graduating college I wouldn't stay here either. Go someplace else and make some money. People here won't pay you squat.
I saw where companies like Stein Mart and Back Yard Burger originated in MS. Their HQs are now in Jacksonville, FL and Nashville, TN respectively. Everybody knows about Bryan and Viking.

How can we expect the population to ever grow if these companies leave or sell?

The ones I've got my eye on are Drake Waterfowl, Trustmark, Renasant, Bancorpsouth, Newk's, Northrop Grumman and CSpire. I hope they stick around and keep their flag planted in Mississippi. Obviously the military presence is very well known and depended on.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:25 PM

I was told when Viking sold the buyers had to agree not to move the company for a period of time. Cspire has invested to much money into the Ridgeland area I hope they don't consider leaving. Milwaukee tool has also hired a lot of people that were laid off by Viking and are currently expanding.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:50 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Back Yard Burgers started in my hometown in the 1980s. They had an office in a shopping center. Stein Mart started in Greenville. They still have a store there.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:23 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,102,720 times
I agree with Viverlibre on this and only certain locations will those graduates remain career wise ( Jackson , Gulf Coast, & Southaven metros). There's always going to be certain industries the state lacks due to quantity more so quality in my opinion.

It's not so much lack in pay, plenty of jobs pays money to those with experience/knowledge just depends on the location/company. Yet my state should do more in attracting major tech companies. We have the potential and land space for multiple firms but some of our state's policies and overall PERCEPTION is truly weighing us down. People rather harp on the superficial characteristics of the state (both within & outsiders) than express unresolved tenacity for progress.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I agree with Viverlibre on this and only certain locations will those graduates remain career wise ( Jackson , Gulf Coast, & Southaven metros). There's always going to be certain industries the state lacks due to quantity more so quality in my opinion.

It's not so much lack in pay, plenty of jobs pays money to those with experience/knowledge just depends on the location/company. Yet my state should do more in attracting major tech companies. We have the potential and land space for multiple firms but some of our state's policies and overall PERCEPTION is truly weighing us down. People rather harp on the superficial characteristics of the state (both within & outsiders) than express unresolved tenacity for progress.
I'm afraid that with high tech, MS is better off trying to grow its own. I doubt Google or Microsoft will locate a branch office anywhere near the state (unless you call Atlanta and the Big Texas Cities 'near'). High-level techies want to be near lots of amenities and are willing to sacrifice purchasing power of their paychecks to get them. It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

Well, MS growing its own high tech stuff AND improving its amenities -- even advertising their amenities better could work wonders. Play up the music and literary scenes, and keep a lid on the most pointless of boneheaded legislation about "morality" (techies tend to have a very strong libertarian streak).

Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Phil is correct which is why when Amazon builds their HQ2 it will be in either Austin or Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi