Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM

49 posts, read 135,513 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been thinking about moving to Gulfport or Biloxi. I do not know much about MS except driving by along I-10 and seeing the most beautiful trees outside of the Pacific Northwest. I have read that MS has a slower pace of living which I would welcome actually as I live with a disability. My condition is not too limiting and I can still live a normal life.

I want to be as open minded about MS as possible. I have lived in 6 other states and each state has its pros and cons. I don't want to presume that Mississippi is a backwoods and redneck state because it is the Deep South. I have always been fascinated with Southern history and scenery. No one likes to be typecasted so I want to hear people's honest viewpoints on life here.

I am Hispanic and want to know if this is going to be a liability. This is an important question because Hispanics are targets these days. I have lived in so-called progressive places where I have been discriminated against. I won't go into the specifics as I am sure that you all watch the news. I just don't want to deal with negative attitudes because of who I am. This is all the more sad to me because I am an American, born and raised here and I love this country as much as anybody else. I look more like a mixed light black person than the stereotypical mestizo look that most people expect from Hispanics. When I was in N. Carolina and Jacksonville, FL I had black people saying that I was Oriental and Filipino which I found curious.

I am a live and let live kind of person. I have read that the local economy is slower and that the pay is low. I know that accompanies the low cost of living. I am looking to start a business within the next five years and want to know people's perspectives on the business market here. I also want to write a book. I know that MS has a lot of fine authors and maybe the region will inspire me.

Ultimately what I am looking for is inspiration for creative and business pursuits. I want to be in an environment where there are other people working towards the same goal because I hate feeling like the only one.

Currently I live in the West Coast and find people so cut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:03 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Hi dorada19, welcome to the Mississippi forum. I can't speak for everyone in the state, but I can tell you that I am married to a woman from Belize who is part East Indian (India), West Indian (West Indies), and Hispanic and we have no problems. Her skin is darker than most Hispanic people. She manages a Cracker Barrel and visitors from across the country frequent the restaurant, so occasionally some narrow minded person may give her a hard time, but not often.

Mississippi has the lowest number of hate crimes in the nation, so you are pretty safe here. From my own experience, everyone gets along pretty well.

As far as starting a business, I think the best areas would be Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Southaven/Olive Branch, or Tupelo.

If you want inspiration for writing a book, visit Eudora Welty's home in Jackson, and William Faulkner's home in Oxford. A little research will reveal more places.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Hi dorada19, welcome to the Mississippi forum. I can't speak for everyone in the state, but I can tell you that I am married to a woman from Belize who is part East Indian (India), West Indian (West Indies), and Hispanic and we have no problems. Her skin is darker than most Hispanic people. She manages a Cracker Barrel and visitors from across the country frequent the restaurant, so occasionally some narrow minded person may give her a hard time, but not often.

Mississippi has the lowest number of hate crimes in the nation, so you are pretty safe here. From my own experience, everyone gets along pretty well.

As far as starting a business, I think the best areas would be Jackson, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, Southaven/Olive Branch, or Tupelo.

If you want inspiration for writing a book, visit Eudora Welty's home in Jackson, and William Faulkner's home in Oxford. A little research will reveal more places.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions.
Hi jhadorn. Thank you for your warm welcome. I know Belize is a multicultural nation. I'm Cuban and know all about the mixing of races. I have African, Chinese, Spanish, other European and Native heritage in me. That's good to know that you and your wife live in peace. This lets me know that if I wind up living in MS, I shouldn't have issues when it comes time to have a boyfriend because it would be interracial dating no matter if the guy's white or black. I will check out these cities and places. I should be visiting the state in May or June.

My mom's leery of the Deep South because of the history that's attached to it, but I always told her that racism is everywhere. I had a Southern friend who told me that because Southern people have experienced so much together (i.e. racism, wars, loss of nationality, etc.) that this gives them a unique perspective on life. He also mentioned that people are more 'used' to each other and race is actually a lesser evil than the newer states that didn't have to endure the trials and tribulations of the South. My friend also told me that blacks are just as prejudice as whites. This is true because I have lived it firsthand.

Once again, thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
Hi jhadorn. Thank you for your warm welcome. I know Belize is a multicultural nation. I'm Cuban and know all about the mixing of races. I have African, Chinese, Spanish, other European and Native heritage in me. That's good to know that you and your wife live in peace. This lets me know that if I wind up living in MS, I shouldn't have issues when it comes time to have a boyfriend because it would be interracial dating no matter if the guy's white or black. I will check out these cities and places. I should be visiting the state in May or June.

My mom's leery of the Deep South because of the history that's attached to it, but I always told her that racism is everywhere. I had a Southern friend who told me that because Southern people have experienced so much together (i.e. racism, wars, loss of nationality, etc.) that this gives them a unique perspective on life. He also mentioned that people are more 'used' to each other and race is actually a lesser evil than the newer states that didn't have to endure the trials and tribulations of the South. My friend also told me that blacks are just as prejudice as whites. This is true because I have lived it firsthand.

Once again, thanks
You're welcome.

I think to some extent what your friend told you is true. Most people, when speaking of racism, think in terms of black and white. There is a larger percentage of African American people in Mississippi than any other state, and unlike many Northern states, black and white live side by side in many areas, so in that respect we are used to each other and get along well.

If you are accustomed to living on the West coast you will experience culture shock in Mississippi. We do things differently and at a slower pace, far fewer people live here which means fewer amenities such as restaurants etc. but make no mistake, there is some really good food here.

If you move here and want to find a good place to eat, shopping, etc. just ask on the Mississippi forum and we will be glad to help.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
You're welcome.

I think to some extent what your friend told you is true. Most people, when speaking of racism, think in terms of black and white. There is a larger percentage of African American people in Mississippi than any other state, and unlike many Northern states, black and white live side by side in many areas, so in that respect we are used to each other and get along well.

If you are accustomed to living on the West coast you will experience culture shock in Mississippi. We do things differently and at a slower pace, far fewer people live here which means fewer amenities such as restaurants etc. but make no mistake, there is some really good food here.

If you move here and want to find a good place to eat, shopping, etc. just ask on the Mississippi forum and we will be glad to help.
I haven't lived anywhere where it is just black and white. I sometimes have lived in predominantly white and black neighborhoods. I have always been an outsider in both neighborhoods. This is why I have been cautious about the South in general. The times that I have been in Southern states people have been friendly, but regard me as a foreigner. I can't say that this has bothered me because in some ways it has kept me out of the problems, responsibilities and politics that black and white Americans have to deal with.

I was thinking about the culture shock because I am used to seeing people of different cultures like Koreans, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Filipinos, Ukrainian, Croatian and etc. I have been fortunate enough to sample a lot of tasty treats from cuisines around the world as a result of the multicultural life that I have led.

How do you guys do things differently? I need the slower pace of living due to my condition. I am a fast paced personality, but my body does not allow me to do the things that my mind wants to do. Despite my impatience, I have to bite my tongue and accept the innate slowness of my body. The fewer amenities will be something to get used to because in my neighborhoods I have 3 grocery stores within a a half mile, a Walgreens, a Walmart that's less than 10 minutes away, 4 restaurants within walking distance, a community college that is less than 5 mins away driving. Downtown is a 10 minute drive on clear days. But I do not like the pollution in Las Vegas. The air quality and chemicals have slowed me down since living here. Vegas in my opinion is West Coast because a lot of people from LA live here and we are the only state in the Southwest with Pacific Time. I am from California as well. I also do not like the disrespectful, fake and self centered people.

The West Coast has become very expensive these days and it is not worth it. I also find a good life almost unattainable due to the competitiveness of the region (i.e. Oregon, Washington, California and Nevada). When I lived in Washington State and Oregon I remember that finding a good paying was very difficult due to the overqualified pool of job applicants. There were people with Master's Degrees getting paid 12-14 an hour. California was even more competitive and my mother and I started getting mysterious rashes upon moving there. The rashes disappeared once we left.

I heard that Mississippi has some good down home food. I can't wait to try it. If I wind up moving here I have to make sure that I have a gym nearby because I will need it eating all that food. Since you are from there do you know of good eateries in Gulfport and Biloxi? I may also visit the Jackson area and check out some universities like Ole Miss and Miss State as I want to start preparing for my Master's Degree when I graduate college.

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 AM

Let's use Biloxi as an example for a moment. The population is 50,644. The racial makeup is 70% white, 19% black, and the remaining 11% is Hispanic, Vietnamese, Indian, Filipino, and other. Biloxi has been under control of the French, English, and Spanish in the past and before Hurrican Katrina the influence was evident, however, I have not been to Biloxi since Katrina destroyed most of the coast.

As for doing things differently, what I mean is a slower pace, people wave at you driving, people are more likely to stop and change a tire for you, etc. and the South as a whole tends to be more conservative and religion is more evident. Some people from other parts of the country don't care for the conservative, religious aspect, so I guess it depends on your preference.

When I say fewer amenities what I mean is that we have Walgreens, Walmart, etc but they are spread further apart. Most things would be within a 5 or 10 minute drive, so you will definately need a car for most things.

If you want to see Ole Miss and Mississippi State, they are in Oxford and Starkville respectively. Hope you enjoy your visit, and if you decide to move here I hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited by jhadorn; 12-10-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 PM

40 posts, read 143,942 times
Hi Dorada19, I recently moved to the DC area from Biloxi after living there for 2 1/2 years. On culture shock...The Gulf Coast has a very pleasant culture and is easy to get used to. Pace is slow but relaxed. Mardi Gras is HUGE. So is Seafood and water activities in general. As jhadorn said, the area is conservative but I just make it a general policy in life not to discuss politics wherever I go and that works well. I'll be honest in that i felt like racism existed on the coast but by no means is everyone racist. Unfortunately, it exists everywhere I guess. I'm white so I never experienced it first-hand but I heard comments that made me shudder. But I want to emphasize that it definitely wasn't everywhere.

Overall, I liked the coast a lot. You need a car but you won't really be that far from anything. It takes me longer to get to grocery stores or restaurants in the DC suburbs where traffic is horrible than it ever did in Biloxi. I lived three minutes from a Winn Dixie, Wal Mart and Wal greens. No, you won't be shopping at Whole Foods (unless you want to drive to NOLA) but you won't have to trek miles to get to a grocery store either. Oh and my commute to work was literally 5 minutes. You can't beat that!

There are so many great restaurants to choose from that I don't even know where to start. For upscale places, I liked Mary Mahony's and Emerils. For lunch type places, there is Mr. Greek, Bernie's, etc. Niche type places include Le Bakery and Tato Nut. My absolute favorite place, which is also fairly inexpensive, was Lookout 49. There are a lot of similarities to the food in New Orleans with French and Cajun influences. It's hard to find a bad meal.

I can tell you that if I could move back to the Coast, I probably would. The cost of living is great, I loved being near the beach and once I got used to the culture, I enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, my career took me to the cold, congested northeast, where I'm afraid I'll have to stay at least for a while.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Let's use Biloxi as an example for a moment. The population is 50,644. The racial makeup is 70% white, 19% black, and the remaining 11% is Hispanic, Vietnamese, Indian, Filipino, and other. Biloxi has been under control of the French, English, and Spanish in the past and before Hurrican Katrina the influence was evident, however, I have not been to Biloxi since Katrina destroyed most of the coast.

As for doing things differently, what I mean is a slower pace, people wave at you driving, people are more likely to stop and change a tire for you, etc. and the South as a whole tends to be more conservative and religion is more evident. Some people from other parts of the country don't care for the conservative, religious aspect, so I guess it depends on your preference.

When I say fewer amenities what I mean is that we have Walgreens, Walmart, etc but they are spread further apart. Most things would be within a 5 or 10 minute drive, so you will definately need a car for most things.

If you want to see Ole Miss and Mississippi State, they are in Oxford and Starkville respectively. Hope you enjoy your visit, and if you decide to move here I hope you enjoy your stay.
You know I'm not very religious. I am deeply spiritual and believe in God. If I had to go to church I would do it out of respect and courtesy unless I came across a really good pastor. I don't want people to hover about over me when it comes to religion. I guess I will have to check Oxford and Starkville when I visit. Small towns and me haven't gone over too well because I am so mentally impatient, but if people are cool I may stick it out until I finish my masters and if the town grows on me I guess I could make it a home for me.

I can only hope to enjoy my visit and stay if all goes well. I do plan to give something back rather than taking from Mississippi and I hope that the natives appreciate this. I know that most people who are from any region feel used when they have 'outsiders' from other states come in to buy their normally cheap property at high rates, reap the benefits of untouched territory and etc. I live a green life and want to make something grow.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseyjen View Post
Hi Dorada19, I recently moved to the DC area from Biloxi after living there for 2 1/2 years. On culture shock...The Gulf Coast has a very pleasant culture and is easy to get used to. Pace is slow but relaxed. Mardi Gras is HUGE. So is Seafood and water activities in general. As jhadorn said, the area is conservative but I just make it a general policy in life not to discuss politics wherever I go and that works well. I'll be honest in that i felt like racism existed on the coast but by no means is everyone racist. Unfortunately, it exists everywhere I guess. I'm white so I never experienced it first-hand but I heard comments that made me shudder. But I want to emphasize that it definitely wasn't everywhere.

Overall, I liked the coast a lot. You need a car but you won't really be that far from anything. It takes me longer to get to grocery stores or restaurants in the DC suburbs where traffic is horrible than it ever did in Biloxi. I lived three minutes from a Winn Dixie, Wal Mart and Wal greens. No, you won't be shopping at Whole Foods (unless you want to drive to NOLA) but you won't have to trek miles to get to a grocery store either. Oh and my commute to work was literally 5 minutes. You can't beat that!

There are so many great restaurants to choose from that I don't even know where to start. For upscale places, I liked Mary Mahony's and Emerils. For lunch type places, there is Mr. Greek, Bernie's, etc. Niche type places include Le Bakery and Tato Nut. My absolute favorite place, which is also fairly inexpensive, was Lookout 49. There are a lot of similarities to the food in New Orleans with French and Cajun influences. It's hard to find a bad meal.

I can tell you that if I could move back to the Coast, I probably would. The cost of living is great, I loved being near the beach and once I got used to the culture, I enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately, my career took me to the cold, congested northeast, where I'm afraid I'll have to stay at least for a while.
Hi horseyjen. Sounds like you enjoy horses. I am a water baby and have lived along coastlines most of my life. I am a seafood lover and so is my dog. I don't like to discuss politics unless someone starts it and at that point if they are too conservative I don't wish to go any further. I won't say that I am a lefty because I am disillusioned with both sides. I just want peace and love for all. This is something that people can agree on along party lines.

At least everything is nearby! I do love Whole Foods and will have to drive to Nola every so often to buy whatever organic goodies that I can't find from local vendors. When I used to live in Florida I saw people selling boiled and toasted peanuts, fresh caught shrimp, peeled oranges and apples, stone crabs, roses and anything else on the street. I miss that simplicity and down home appeal. I don't like pretensious and unaccessible places.

Racism is always an issue when trying to find a good place to live in especially because I am neither black or white. Some blacks on the forum are also concerned about this matter, but being ethnic these days poses a bigger problem than being black in my opinion. At least blacks have a community in most places that they go to. I had a rough experience in Seattle and never want to encounter that again. Seattle racism is not upfront, but you definitely feel it and it became oppressing. Racists are everywhere but I do not want to deal with people refuse to let me participate in their social activities because I am of the wrong ethnicity. I do not want to live isolated like when I was in Seattle. I am at a point in my life where I want to be more social and reach out to people.

If all goes well I have thought about opening a restaurant later on mixing Southern food with Latin food. I want to show that not ALL Hispanic foods are not Mexican therefore hot and spicy. We are a diverse group of people you know and have blacks, whites, indigenous tribes, Asians and Mid East peoples.

I loved living in the East Coast. I spent a brief time in Massachusetts. The cold weather took some getting used to, but there was a lot of history and the energy of Boston was incredible. I lived a blue collar life in New Bedford and Brockton and visited Boston on weekends and holidays.

I understand living in a place not of your liking due to work. The same thing happened to me in the time that I have been living in Nevada. But I think that the time has come to move on. I am almost done with my degree and want to finish that so that I can expand my horizons.

Have a good weekend.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorada19 View Post
You know I'm not very religious. I am deeply spiritual and believe in God. If I had to go to church I would do it out of respect and courtesy unless I came across a really good pastor. I don't want people to hover about over me when it comes to religion.
That isn't what I meant when I said Religion is more evident. You will notice there are more churches here, and people may invite you to church or ask where you go to church, but by no means do you have to go, just decline. We rarely attend church, mainly because of my wife's work schedule.

Like horseyjen said, the culture is easy to adjust to, and the food is great. I haven't been to the coast in a long time but one of my memories was of catching crabs off the pier using bait fish, a fishing pole, and a net.

I think you would enjoy it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi