Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 12,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Here’s some back story, I currently live in Rural Alaska. Due to my wife’s health condition, we are forced to move from here to some place WAY warmer than here. We want to want to be in the southeast. We have already sold everything, have the money (and a business/equipment that I think will do alright anywhere.) Going to be paying cash for the property, with a sizable cushion left over for after the transition. Wanting to buy at least 10 acres, preferably 40+, in a very rural area. We have it narrowed down to Mississippi or Alabama at this point, but something about Mississippi intrigues me...

I understand that Rural Mississippi isn’t the place to go if you’re looking to make a good living and that’s OK. We basically are just looking for acreage to “homestead” hobby farm type of deal, be as “self sufficient” as possible as cheesy and impossible as that sounds. I’ve researched all the “drawbacks” and it doesn’t seem to be anything that we can’t overcome. We are also a very conservative family if that helps. Just want a nice piece of land and be left alone with a decent community within an hour or so...

So anyways, my question is, What’s it really like? What to expect? I have driven through Mississippi on backroads a while back. I unfortunately can’t go pre check it out again due to the distance/logistics. I obviously don’t want to buy anything sight unseen so will spend a few days/weeks checking areas out when I get down there this summer. Just want a heads up.

Too long didn’t read summary:
-Moving to either Mississippi or Alabama. (If you live in Mississippi and would rather live in Alabama please explain or vis versa)
- Any areas of Mississippi you’d recommend or not (Rural and far away from cities is what we’re looking for)
-Any special things to watch out for while buying property?
- Is it so full of violent crime and poor obese people like the statistics claim, that I am crazy for seriously considering this? ( I say this in jest but I do want a safe area)

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 11:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedDude View Post
Hello,

Here’s some back story, I currently live in Rural Alaska. Due to my wife’s health condition, we are forced to move from here to some place WAY warmer than here. We want to want to be in the southeast. We have already sold everything, have the money (and a business/equipment that I think will do alright anywhere.) Going to be paying cash for the property, with a sizable cushion left over for after the transition. Wanting to buy at least 10 acres, preferably 40+, in a very rural area. We have it narrowed down to Mississippi or Alabama at this point, but something about Mississippi intrigues me...

I understand that Rural Mississippi isn’t the place to go if you’re looking to make a good living and that’s OK. We basically are just looking for acreage to “homestead” hobby farm type of deal, be as “self sufficient” as possible as cheesy and impossible as that sounds. I’ve researched all the “drawbacks” and it doesn’t seem to be anything that we can’t overcome. We are also a very conservative family if that helps. Just want a nice piece of land and be left alone with a decent community within an hour or so...

So anyways, my question is, What’s it really like? What to expect? I have driven through Mississippi on backroads a while back. I unfortunately can’t go pre check it out again due to the distance/logistics. I obviously don’t want to buy anything sight unseen so will spend a few days/weeks checking areas out when I get down there this summer. Just want a heads up.

Too long didn’t read summary:
-Moving to either Mississippi or Alabama. (If you live in Mississippi and would rather live in Alabama please explain or vis versa)
- Any areas of Mississippi you’d recommend or not (Rural and far away from cities is what we’re looking for)
- Is it so full of violent crime and poor obese people like the statistics claim, that I am crazy for seriously considering this? ( I say this in jest but I do want a safe area)

Thanks for any replies.

Many pros and cons to both. Alabama overall is probably in better shape than the 'Sip. In North AL, you can get a little closer to a mountainous feel you may be more familiar with.

Not the Delta. In MS, look outside of Tupelo, Oxford, Hattiesburg, North of the Coast or South Desoto County. You want to be within reasonable distance of a major hospital. There is a rural broadband project underway in Mississippi and you may be able to get fiber internet via an electric co-op.

In MS, when buying acreage mineral rights are tricky. The closing attorney may not tell you, but likely mineral rights remain with a previous owner for a certain period of time. Make sure you are not land locking another property owner, you'll be dealing with easement issues the rest of your life. Yazoo Clay is common in areas around the state and can cause issues with a building's foundation, so if you are buying an existing house make sure you have the foundation thoroughly inspected.

- Is it so full of violent crime and poor obese people like the statistics claim, that I am crazy for seriously considering this? ( I say this in jest but I do want a safe area).

The Delta is one of the most desolate parts of the country, poverty reigns and where there is poverty crime follows (mostly property crime). In other rural parts of the state you may end up in the middle of meth rings (just like in Alaska). Same goes for rural parts of Alabama. Sparsely populated rural, poor counties mean light law enforcement and people who mind their own business. Most areas will be fine. I think the rankings showing MS as the most obese state (with bama close behind) are accurate.

Most rural land (that is not suitable for farming) will run between $2000 and $5000 per acre depending on the value of the timber on it. If no municipal water, a well will run another $15k, septic can run as much as $10k, getting electricity to the property could be expensive also.

Last edited by viverlibre; 03-04-2022 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-05-2022, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,609 times
Is Mississippi a good place to buy land?

Old 03-05-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post

Many pros and cons to both. Alabama overall is probably in better shape than the 'Sip. In North AL, you can get a little closer to a mountainous feel you may be more familiar with.

Not the Delta. In MS, look outside of Tupelo, Oxford, Hattiesburg, North of the Coast or South Desoto County. You want to be within reasonable distance of a major hospital. There is a rural broadband project underway in Mississippi and you may be able to get fiber internet via an electric co-op.

In MS, when buying acreage mineral rights are tricky. The closing attorney may not tell you, but likely mineral rights remain with a previous owner for a certain period of time. Make sure you are not land locking another property owner, you'll be dealing with easement issues the rest of your life. Yazoo Clay is common in areas around the state and can cause issues with a building's foundation, so if you are buying an existing house make sure you have the foundation thoroughly inspected.

- Is it so full of violent crime and poor obese people like the statistics claim, that I am crazy for seriously considering this? ( I say this in jest but I do want a safe area).

The Delta is one of the most desolate parts of the country, poverty reigns and where there is poverty crime follows (mostly property crime). In other rural parts of the state you may end up in the middle of meth rings (just like in Alaska). Same goes for rural parts of Alabama. Sparsely populated rural, poor counties mean light law enforcement and people who mind their own business. Most areas will be fine. I think the rankings showing MS as the most obese state (with bama close behind) are accurate.

Most rural land (that is not suitable for farming) will run between $2000 and $5000 per acre depending on the value of the timber on it. If no municipal water, a well will run another $15k, septic can run as much as $10k, getting electricity to the property could be expensive also.
Thank you for your well thought out reply, I appreciate it very much.

I do see that land is more affordable after the timber has been removed. If I zeroed in on a very large parcel recently clear cut would I have any problems with crime in such a rural location down logging roads? I’m not opposed to not having utilities readily available if it means the right piece of land comes with it. Obviously I would get an approved septic.

Also, If I bought 40+ acres in a rural county in Mississippi are the building inspectors reasonable to deal with? Want to build something very small, nice and up to code obviously. Is the permitting process reasonable for an owner builder down there? Just trying to avoid extreme red tape.

The pictures are absolutely beautiful, trying to figure out why it’s so affordable and other people don’t see the potential beauty or what I’m missing? What’s the drawback?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your well thought out reply, I appreciate it very much.

I do see that land is more affordable after the timber has been removed. If I zeroed in on a very large parcel recently clear cut would I have any problems with crime in such a rural location down logging roads? I’m not opposed to not having utilities readily available if it means the right piece of land comes with it. Obviously I would get an approved septic.

Also, If I bought 40+ acres in a rural county in Mississippi are the building inspectors reasonable to deal with? Want to build something very small, nice and up to code obviously. Is the permitting process reasonable for an owner builder down there? Just trying to avoid extreme red tape.

The pictures are absolutely beautiful, trying to figure out why it’s so affordable and other people don’t see the potential beauty or what I’m missing? What’s the drawback?
Thanks in advance.

The potential for crime is unknown until you get a feel for the property. I know plenty of folks who have hunting camps in the Delta, vacant camps getting burglarized is not uncommon. There's always the possibility of drug related crime anywhere, the issue is there are a lot places in MS with no law enforcement (or prying eyes from neighbors) and the would be criminals know this. Mostly property crime of unoccupied buildings/equipment. Not unusual for people who live in these areas to open carry. The same as in much of Alaska. Make your property hard to get to and not seen from the road.

This is MS, there is very little in the way of those regulations and even less enforcement. You want to dig a hole? You dig a hole. Outside of towns/populated areas, there's not much in the way of building codes, permits, inspections or enforcement (even in town in many cases). Your realtor will be able to tell you the situation in your county. I just had a well drilled on some rural property, there was no permit, inspection, etc., just contract with a well company. One note of caution, it was over a year before they got to me, but mine was just a contingency, I may have been able to find a company to do it sooner. However, I know from experience that in Rankin and Madison Counties you will have to jump through hoops when selling a property with a septic system/treatment plant. These are likely not counties you are in interested in though.

A very poor state with little opportunity, very few good jobs for motivated young people. Last in most rankings, devoid of desired landscapes (no mountains, cliffs, rocks, the barrier islands even screwed us on our coast), most of our large lakes are muddy. Few amenities, other than hunting, fishing, watching football, youth sports and church, not a lot of other recreational opportunities for kids and adults. In much of the state public schools systems are poor, which really holds us back in attracting high tech type industries. Heat, high humidity and mosquitoes are also less than desirable. To me it seems most of our political leaders (be it black, white or whatever) are satisfied with the status qou. There seems to be a lack of vision, innovation and willingness to cooperate from many of our state leaders. Many middle class parents encourage their kids to leave after graduating high school/college.

The pros are; cheap land, low cost of living, little regulation, being able to do whatever you want (as long as you don't infringe upon others), good deer/turkey/duck hunting, good bass/catfish/crappie fishing and mild winters.

Last edited by viverlibre; 03-05-2022 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-05-2022, 10:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,406 times
Land will likely be cheaper in MS, simply because there are less people here. Sounds like what you're looking for. I'd probably look in NE MS area. You get more 'seasons' up there, and it's hilly and starting to get into Appalachia. Farther south you go, the flatter and hotter it gets, more 'river' terrain than hilly. Basically in the triangle made by I-22, Tennessee line and Alabama line. East of Holly Springs. I'd stay away from Memphis, it's mostly suburban anywhere around there.

Don't be fooled by the stats. Yes there is crime and obesity, like anywhere else. But it's mostly in the Delta and Jackson, two areas where you won't ever likely need to go. People are fooled because they don't come here and they don't know, and they don't understand that a few areas basically bring down the stats for the whole state. Think about that, it's totally imaginary borders. The politicians here aren't any better or worse than Alabama or anywhere else. And personally, if you want a cheap rural homestead, it's a pretty dang good place to look. Bottom line in this - take out the Delta/Jackson, and MS is a DECENT place. I wouldn't go so far as to call it great. But for what you're looking for, maybe it can be. I've always said that with Starlink and internet spreading all over, if someone could work from home and wanted land, this might be the best kept secret in the USA. Not everybody wants that city-slicker atmosphere.

Somehow or another Alabama has crossed the line and become a 'perceived' good place to live, and now the sheep keep following each other. But how can Alabama be much different than Mississippi when it's the same damn place? The answer is, it's not, but they do have a bigger city center (Birmingham) and Huntsville going for it, because those obviously provide jobs and urban areas. But if you don't need that, I don't see the attraction and I've lived all over both. Same thing going east in Georgia, they have Atlanta, more people and more money - that's it. All these rankings are driven by urbanism - and MS is last in that. Crime and obesity is going to be the exact same in rural AL as it is in MS. I've never been robbed in MS, but some meth-heads tried an attempted robbery on me when I lived outside Huntsville, AL.

I don't know much about the red tape. I do own a few acres in metro Jackson, and I know this - I can't think of a better place to live lately especially during COVID. Of course, I do live hiking, so I have to drive for that, but I deal with it.

Last edited by Mississippi Alabama Line; 03-05-2022 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-05-2022, 11:32 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Crime?........ Personally, I would not be afraid to buy land and live anywhere. But NE Mississippi has the best climate and prettiest terrain.
Even with that said there is a stretch along Hwy MS 57 and Hwy MS 63 from about State Line, MS down to Interstate 10 that is really pretty.
And the land north of Kiln, MS on Hwy 603 has special appeal. Really pretty up there.

Both of those areas give you ready access to beach areas, within an hour or so.

We have a school principal in Tupelo who moved his family from Alaska. They could not BELIEVE the heat in the summer, but they acclimated and their kids do well with it.

BOL, OP! ............. I'm excited for you!

Old 03-05-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Crime?........ Personally, I would not be afraid to buy land and live anywhere. But NE Mississippi has the best climate and prettiest terrain.
Even with that said there is a stretch along Hwy MS 57 and Hwy MS 63 from about State Line, MS down to Interstate 10 that is really pretty.
And the land north of Kiln, MS on Hwy 603 has special appeal. Really pretty up there.

Both of those areas give you ready access to beach areas, within an hour or so.

We have a school principal in Tupelo who moved his family from Alaska. They could not BELIEVE the heat in the summer, but they acclimated and their kids do well with it.

BOL, OP! ............. I'm excited for you!
Any of these areas is good advice, a buddy of mine lives near Hurley (closer to I-10 down 63) and loves it. Being close to I-10 means a lot.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 PM

Thank you all for the information and ideas of where to look at. We have been finding multiple properties that we really seem to like based off internet pictures and google earth in our price range.

Can’t wait to get down there sometime in June or July and see them first hand!

Old 03-05-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the information and ideas of where to look at. We have been finding multiple properties that we really seem to like based off internet pictures and google earth in our price range.

Can’t wait to get down there sometime in June or July and see them first hand!
Feel free to PM any potentials, I'll let you know if I know about anything about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi