Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:43 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,254,110 times

Advertisements

For many of us of a certain age who grew up in Jackson, being a part of the WZZQ 102.9FM listener community was a critical factor in becoming who we are. We never knew how truly unique it was until long after it was only a memory. Good friend and ZZQ lover Ann Ford has teamed up with Mississippi Public Broadcasting to create and air a documentary of the station, its history, and its personalities, many of whom are known to their fans by only one name--Wayne, Perez, Sergio, to name just a few.

When Ann floated the idea of doing the documentary to Mississippi Public Broadcasting, she found that her primary obstacle in realizing her vision, the licensing of the music, would be covered by the universal license held by MPB. She has traveled the country for interviews, sorted through piles of photos and other memorabilia donated by fans, and listened to countless hours of recordings from the era to create and convey a story whose only real down side is its brevity as a one hour program.

The screening last Friday night at MPB headquarters was booked solid nearly immediately, and the auditorium audience was shadowed by an overflow room, with total attendance approaching 500. It was followed by a lively Q-and-A session with Ann, Perez, Bill Elliot and Randall Pinkston, that while available on YouTube, unfortunately lacks the audio for most of the questions.

For those who missed the screening, the documentary is currently available on the MPB Online website or streaming on PBS Passport. Here is the link: WZZQ The Movie.

One factoid that I learned was that Bob Pittman, one of the founders of MTV was among the early WJDX staff before its reinvention as WZZQ.

Any memories?

I remember being at the Rutherford B. Hayes Memorial Picnic at Riverside Park and watching all the DJs as they ran the show, thinking how cool it would be to be able to hang out with them. As life would have it, I did end up hanging out with Wayne years later not too long before his death, and like Perez, I won't go into the details until I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi