Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM

380 posts, read 963,524 times

Advertisements

We literally have bushels of acorns from our red and white oaks this year. (This is not a complaint, Ozarks Boy, just a statement of fact).

I know that squirrels, deer, turkeys and chipmunks (ground squirrels) eat them. What other critter might we expect to see at our bountiful buffet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
We literally have bushels of acorns from our red and white oaks this year. (This is not a complaint, Ozarks Boy, just a statement of fact).

I know that squirrels, deer, turkeys and chipmunks (ground squirrels) eat them. What other critter might we expect to see at our bountiful buffet?
Deer hunters, squirrel hunters, and turkey hunters if your aren't posted

Squirrels got all my acorns this year. And my hickory nuts. I might have to take up squirrel hunting next year to protect my nuts!

That sounded wrong didn't it

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM

380 posts, read 963,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Deer hunters, squirrel hunters, and turkey hunters if your aren't posted

Squirrels got all my acorns this year. And my hickory nuts. I might have to take up squirrel hunting next year to protect my nuts!

That sounded wrong didn't it
Ahem

You can have some of mine. We've been collecting them, putting them in the loader on the tractor and dumping them about a quarter mile down the tree line. Our dogs have a conniption when there are deer in the yard so I'm hoping this will draw them down the pike.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post

Bluejays love acorns. Good thing too because it keeps them out of the birdfeeders.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
We have oak trees in out yard and I have never witnessed a blue jay eating one.

Deer, squirrels & chipmunks

Old 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
We have oak trees in out yard and I have never witnessed a blue jay eating one.

Deer, squirrels & chipmunks
Perhaps I should have been specific and stated acorn from pin oaks and red oaks, not the larger white oak and burr oak acorns.

I see jays going after pin oak acorns year round, be they freshly fallen, picking them off the tree, or sifting through the grass in the summer to find ones the squirrles missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri