Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM

20 posts, read 70,693 times

Advertisements

I have floated almost all of the best float streams Missouri has to offer and have worked with a lot of canoe outfitters. I've always wondered though if the business is a somewhat of a lucrative one? I know it's profitable, I just wonder how profitable (particularly on the well-floated rivers like the Jacks Fork or Current Rivers).

It always seemed to me like it was a VERY tough business. Too dependent on the weather, you make your money in just a few months or weekends per year, long hours, seemed like lots of overhead with vehicles, canoes, river rights, etc. There have been frequent ownership changes on several outfitters, and there seems to be more individuals buying up some of the smaller shops. Is there money to be had or are they in it because they love the river?

May be an odd question, but it is one I have always had. For some reason, I've always had this idea of the owners of these places working hard for 5 months a year and the rest of the time they were relaxing on a beach somewhere (I probably only imagine this because I would love to own an float outfitter if it worked like this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times
My Son is Partner with an Outfitter on the Niangua River.Last three years they haven't made squat.

brushrunner

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
If you are dead set on owning your own outfit call Tim at Wilderness Ridge Resort in Duke, MO.

He may be ready to sell by now, owning a canoe livery and maintaining a campground has just about wore him out. If nothing else he can give you the gory details regarding the joys of ownership. Tim is a great guy!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Geographer View Post
I have floated almost all of the best float streams Missouri has to offer and have worked with a lot of canoe outfitters. I've always wondered though if the business is a somewhat of a lucrative one? I know it's profitable, I just wonder how profitable (particularly on the well-floated rivers like the Jacks Fork or Current Rivers).

It always seemed to me like it was a VERY tough business. Too dependent on the weather, you make your money in just a few months or weekends per year, long hours, seemed like lots of overhead with vehicles, canoes, river rights, etc. There have been frequent ownership changes on several outfitters, and there seems to be more individuals buying up some of the smaller shops. Is there money to be had or are they in it because they love the river?

May be an odd question, but it is one I have always had. For some reason, I've always had this idea of the owners of these places working hard for 5 months a year and the rest of the time they were relaxing on a beach somewhere (I probably only imagine this because I would love to own an float outfitter if it worked like this).
If I were looking to get into this business I would go to Arkansas and buy something on the Buffalo. Float trips have not enjoyed the popularity in recent years that they have in the past. I know the James River has been so low this year (except for the weeks that it has flooded ) that there have not been many float trips. My understanding is that the Jacks Fork was way down too. The Buffalo never seems to suffer as much from low water.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri