Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM

28 posts, read 218,368 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I grew up in SE MO and have been living in the Colorado and now New Mexico areas for over 20 years. I recently went back for a family reunion on Current River and now I'm missing MO terribly. I would love to buy a home in the Van Buren area but the only obstacle I can see is employment. I would be willing to drive as far as Poplar Bluff. My background is computers and network administration. Surely I can find something in this area correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Maybe w/ a school district, or local business that requires/demands computers, such as an electric co-op? Start up or join a computer repair shop? Best of luck - that area is definitely wonderful... [except the new US60 bridge over the Current River - there is now just a cold feeling when traveling over the river there, no sense of being a part of it - just a disconnect...]

Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
ShadowCaver has some good ideas. In fact, here in our little town (NM byw) our great computer guy left about a year or so ago. Where did he go? MO. He went back to work for a company but I don't remember who. I know he was going to be doing traveling and I think it had to do with cable in some way. He ran our only coumputer repair shop in town. the guy he sold it to isn't as knowledgable or he appears not to be and not nearly as friendly. Boy do we miss Paul.

anyway, I am sure you can find something. I would write to a few companies, like he said maybe school districts etc. You might be surprised.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Thanks for the comments

I was definitely thinking school districts for computer work and advertising for computer repair an instruction in the local papers (within 40 mile radius). I know what you mean ShadowCaver about the bridge but if you ever drove the old Springfield to Poplar Bluff road then the divided highway is a welcomed site.

What town in NM nmnita? I'm in Taos. I think if one can make a living in Taos one can make it anywhere. I came here without a job three years ago and have manages to make a decent living by Taos standards.

I think what we will do is first buy a home, then transition to Van Buren. Worst case scenario I will have to work in a bigger city but I will still have a nice little home on the river and my family near by.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

zeldaII - yea, have been on both the previous and then new divided highway on that route, and the new section is indeed a definite improvement . Just wish that the bridge designers/engineers could have used some artistic license, and couple some form w/ function, as I've seen elsewhere. This is just a slab of concrete, w/o any sight lines or 'togetherness' with the beauty of the river/area there. Anyhow, sorry, a bit off-topic from your query - in any case, again, best of luck! Oh, another idea - wonder if possible to work out of your house, w/ your type of computer background? Have you seen that 3geeksandamouse type of computer/data work?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 108,490 times
We just moved to Van Buren, and bought a small restaurant, Hungry Owl Steakhouse. It has a great feel to it, and we are happy with our choice. It is a thriving town, and you needn't go to Poplar Bluff very often, which we like! I hope you find something in the area job wise, good luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Well, we bought house here in Van Buren last October and moved here in December. We have been here 5 months and love it. I found a job in the computer field. I provide hardware support for Dell. I would actually be making really good money if I didn't have to pay for gas.

I read that the Hungry Owl re-opened. We will have to check it out.

We are going to float this weekend if they open up the river. It's still at flood stage.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Flood stage - yea, that's a good time to float - white waterrrrrrrrr!

Indeed, will have to ensure that Hungry Owl is in my sights next time bopping about that area...

Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,513 times
Glad you hear you made it there and found work. The Current River and the whole area is awesome...I just spent today and Saturday on the Jack's Fork and it makes me miss the Ozarks terribly! The river was high though...real easy when you just cruise over all the rocks!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,836,883 times
I'm glad you found some work there. My brother-in-law's family lives in Van Buren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri