Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 26,900 times

Advertisements

I am going on a trip across the Midwest to check out larger and smaller towns to put down roots as I am starting a new phase in my life. I've pinpointed some towns and have been doing research.

I'd like to know a bit more about Mexico, Missouri. It seems to be close enough to Fulton and Columbia (for arts/education?).

I am interested in a community that is welcoming, has some arts available, antiques, a bit of shopping and is a community that pulls together when the chips are down...a place where you know your neighbors and has a bit of civic pride. Columbia seems great, but the cost of housing is quite high. So, I'm looking at communities that might be in the general area. (General in the Midwest---is an hour commute, I think!) Is there a community college there? Or any place where continuing ed classes are taught? Is Columbia a do-able commute (not on a daily basis, of course.)

If you live or have lived in Mexico...would you kindly post some information? Pros and cons? Crime? Activities? Is it open to new businesses?

Thank you in advance!

GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Sorry, haven't been there. Hope you have a good trip though. There are so many great places to check out. My experience with Missouri has been kept to the NW and I do love it.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
I think there is a junior college at Moberly.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 PM

27 posts, read 47,732 times
Don't go to Mexico Missouri! The people are unfriendly with the attitude of "if you weren't born and bred here, you don't belong here" This is a decaying trashy town with a handful of people who run it for a handful of people. I live there now and am moving in a year.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM

76 posts, read 213,548 times
I thought Mexico was quite a friendly town, although I don't live there.

I live in Columbia, Mo at the moment.

Mexico does have antique shops, restaurants, wal-mart and just about anything you need (no mall though).

Columbia is probably a 45 minute drive to Mexico. If you wanted to check a smaller community, very friendly, about half way between Columbia and Mexico you might check Centralia. A very very friendly small town, but has some amenities and is a 20 minute drive to Columbia or Mexico.

In Mexico, there is a junior college campus (Moberly Area Community College has a campus there.)

Moberly is a town of about 13,000 people. 45 minutes from Mexico and 35 minutes North of Columbia.

Do you have school age children?

Boonville is a town just west of Columbia as well. It's a nice place with amenities.

Jefferson City is South of Columbia, but maybe a little pricy (similar to Columbia).

Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Mexico is open to growth. It has enjoyed the benefits that come with being the hometown of Missouri's senior Senator (Bond). I recently heard on the radio that the Sydenstricker family is promoting soy research in Mexico and their may be new growth/jobs associated with this venture.

An article is linked regarding the science center:
Plant center signals shift in research | ColumbiaTribune.com

If education is what you are seeking in a small town don't forget to check out Fayette while you are checking out Mexico. While it is significantly smaller than Mexico, MO it does have Central Methodist University and is about 40 min. drive to Columbia.

http://www.centralmethodist.edu/

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
I have lived in mexico all my life. It is a very conservative town so it does not settle well with me being a shove it down your throat belief town. There are many nice people and some not so nice people that is any where you go. There is not much crime i think it is pretty safe i mean i wouldn't leave your purse or wallet in your car unlocked or your house unlocked but many do and nothing bad has happened yet. The school is ok but i would recommend a bigger community in order to give your children a better opportunity if you do have children.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

109 posts, read 204,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGirl View Post
I am going on a trip across the Midwest to check out larger and smaller towns to put down roots as I am starting a new phase in my life. I've pinpointed some towns and have been doing research.

I'd like to know a bit more about Mexico, Missouri. It seems to be close enough to Fulton and Columbia (for arts/education?).

I am interested in a community that is welcoming, has some arts available, antiques, a bit of shopping and is a community that pulls together when the chips are down...a place where you know your neighbors and has a bit of civic pride. Columbia seems great, but the cost of housing is quite high. So, I'm looking at communities that might be in the general area. (General in the Midwest---is an hour commute, I think!) Is there a community college there? Or any place where continuing ed classes are taught? Is Columbia a do-able commute (not on a daily basis, of course.)

If you live or have lived in Mexico...would you kindly post some information? Pros and cons? Crime? Activities? Is it open to new businesses?

Thank you in advance!

GG
How do you define welcoming?

What sort of "arts" are you hoping for?

There are lots of antique places that dot the region, check.
You can get to know your neighbors, check.
Civic pride, check.
Nearby Moberly provides a community college option, check.

What do you consider to be a "do-able" commute? You can do it in 30 minutes.

Crime is low. The town is growing in terms of business activity (slowly but no less typical of small isolated towns in the Midwest).

Most of the folks that live there have been been there for generations. You will be considered an outsider if you move there.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
How do you define welcoming?

What sort of "arts" are you hoping for?

There are lots of antique places that dot the region, check.
You can get to know your neighbors, check.
Civic pride, check.
Nearby Moberly provides a community college option, check.

What do you consider to be a "do-able" commute? You can do it in 30 minutes.

Crime is low. The town is growing in terms of business activity (slowly but no less typical of small isolated towns in the Midwest).

Most of the folks that live there have been been there for generations. You will be considered an outsider if you move there.
But no fish tacos!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM

543 posts, read 855,678 times
I don't know a lot about it, but it's located in the "Little Dixie" area of Missouri which is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri