Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Columbia/Jefferson City sub-forum added?
Yes, it would be very helpful. 18 81.82%
No, there is no need. 4 18.18%
Don't know/don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Advertisements

There are so many inquiries about Columbia and Jefferson city on this forum but the information gets lost on the larger state forum.

Should we request a sub-forum for Columbia/Jefferson City be added to the Missouri forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
How about a forum for Columbia/Jefferson City?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
That's been 2.5 years ago and that poll is closed. Perhaps it is not inappropriate to revisit the subject?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

332 posts, read 525,359 times
Columbia has the flagship university of the state and Jeff City has the state capital, and there's enough people in those areas and they're growing. Why shouldn't there be a sub-forum?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
I say yes for a local-centric, selfish reason-- there's not really a place to discuss local issues for CoMo/Jeff and the area...and there's a lot to discuss that probably isn't of (that much) interest to other Missourians. For example, Columbia has a devious, spendthrift city and county government that plays accounting games to hide money, then miraculously "finds" it just in time to build some ridiculous Taj Mahal-like city hall and a mostly empty 10-story garage that, aside from its emptiness, is primarily known for its suicide attempts. And they want to build another one! And raise taxes, to boot.

I'd say expand the subtopic area to Columbia/Jeff/the Lake.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,688,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I say yes for a local-centric, selfish reason-- there's not really a place to discuss local issues for CoMo/Jeff and the area...and there's a lot to discuss that probably isn't of (that much) interest to other Missourians. For example, Columbia has a devious, spendthrift city and county government that plays accounting games to hide money, then miraculously "finds" it just in time to build some ridiculous Taj Mahal-like city hall and a mostly empty 10-story garage that, aside from its emptiness, is primarily known for its suicide attempts. And they want to build another one! And raise taxes, to boot.

I agree with what has been said here. Probably 50% of the posts that are about certain localities in the Missouri forum are related to those three areas. I can honestly say I'm not biased either since I live about as far away from them as you can & still be in the same state

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
I don't really think it would be that heavily trafficked.

And there's actually more people in the Springfield metro area than Columbia/JC and they don't have a subforum in Illinois .

Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Columbia has the flagship university of the state and Jeff City has the state capital, and there's enough people in those areas and they're growing. Why shouldn't there be a sub-forum?
Well, there isn't one which is why I posed the question. I look at state forums like FL with so many subforums and it just doesn't seem to make sense thatin the Missouri forum Columbia/Jeff City doesn't have one.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I couldn't have summed up my feelings about the CoMo government any better

The only suicide attempt I have heard of via jumping off of a parking garage was the sordid drama of former MUPD officer Steven Rios trying to jump off of the Virginia Avenue garage at MU after escaping from Mid-Mo. I've been out of the area for a little while so maybe I've missed something.

Quote:
Columbia is the fourth-largest city in Missouri- I say go ahead!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,565,836 times
For the record, the last census showed that Independence is the fourth-largest, and Columbia is fifth.
But regardless, the combined Columbia Metro area and Jeff City Metro area contains a decent amount of people, so a subforum is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri