Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,690 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving back to MO after a break overseas. I used to live in KC and enjoyed MO! At least KC I did, but most of that time I was married. Of course I made friends in those years and carved out a social life for myself but about half of em' were friends of my ex husband, while some others have left KC (moved elsewhere).

Is MO a good choice for a transplant who's divorced or should I consider a state of higher density and which sees more transplants.. eg Texas?

Also heard about KC being known to be cliquish, most people have formed their cliques from high school and are married to somebody they've known from way back then. Is St Louis similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM

582 posts, read 779,416 times
Everywhere has some degree of cliques. In larger cities they tend to be less noticeable than in small towns, but every place has them to some degree. What is more important is how outgoing you are and your willing to meet people. The number of transplants you meet in a city is more dependent on you than the city.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM

154 posts, read 346,584 times
If the boundaries are:

1. Moving to Missouri
2. Choice between KC and STL

It would be a close call, but I'd go with KC. Here's why, based on 1st and 2nd hand anecdotal information:

1. STL is geographically and legally divided: There is St. Louis City and all of the myriad municipalities that comprise St. Louis County. This geographic-political division colors almost everything in St. Louis. All of the turf-protecting bickering BS wears.
  2. KC is a part of Jackson County. Based on my observations, the people in KC do a better job of collaborating on things than in STL, on everything from economic development to quality of life issues (social services, park resources, etc.)
  3. Coming from a sojourn overseas, I think you'll see a more visible international presence in KC than in STL (notwithstanding that STL has the largest Bosnian population in the country).
  4. If you like to travel, KC puts you four hours' drive time closer to interesting points west than STL. Also, it's possible that you can get better fares/routes from KC airport than the STL airport, which is no longer a hub of any major airline. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.
  5. Overall, I think the KC skyline is prettier than that of STL, even though STL boasts the iconic arch. The small town of North Kansas City is especially well-located, I think, to live in what feels like a small town, but with super-easy access to the big city, along with a great view of same.

On the other hand:
  • KC seems to have winters that are consistently more brutal than those in STL - bitterly cold winds that roar in off the plains and heavier snows.
  • Also, STL has some world-class venues such as the Botanical Garden, Tower Grove Park, the zoo, the City Museum. .... (But at the end of the day, how often am I truly going to visit these places throughout a typical year? I can come for a couple of weekends from KC each year and enjoy them.)
  • For hiking, scenic drives, fall colors, winery visits, canoeing --> STL beats KC hands down with its proximity to lush, green, rolling hills near or along many rivers, not to mention the Mississippi and Missouri.

As for the cliquishness, unless you have an interest in joining some particular organizations where most members have a shared socio-educational-economic history, it's hard to fathom how one would not find friends in a metro area (either KC or STL) that exceeds two million residents.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I live in rural Missouri (western part of the Ozark area) and it is a little clique-ish, yet people have overall been very open and welcoming to me. Really I think a lot of places are that way, even not-so-small towns. I would recommend Missouri to any transplant. I moved here several years ago (I'm losing track, I think it's 5 or 6) and have no regrets. Even met my dear husband here! I will say that Missouri has some very fine men, polite, respectful, family-oriented... I would recommend a Missouri farmer or cowboy to any single gal.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I live in rural Missouri (western part of the Ozark area) and it is a little clique-ish, yet people have overall been very open and welcoming to me. Really I think a lot of places are that way, even not-so-small towns. I would recommend Missouri to any transplant. I moved here several years ago (I'm losing track, I think it's 5 or 6) and have no regrets. Even met my dear husband here! I will say that Missouri has some very fine men, polite, respectful, family-oriented... I would recommend a Missouri farmer or cowboy to any single gal.
I went to Springfield and Branson once. Pretty place (the Ozark hills), yes the boys are cute no doubt. Branson was rather boring because the shows really don't appeal me given that I'm below 60 years old, but the landing is nice. I had a very nice time shooting at the trap and skeet, zip-lining and riding on ATV, especially because I stayed with a friend at his ranch so I was warmly hosted.

One thing that deters me for sure is the presence of white supremacists and nazis in that region, and most of the deep south.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Back on the topic of Missouri, I'd say that STL is more "cosmopolitan" than KC but it's difficult to compare them because both they and their histories are so different. The Ozarks are very southern below I-44 and far more rural. In my time here I've not observed much racism and I'm usually quick to pick up on such things. As far as I'm concerned, there's something for just about everyone in this state. Obviously, I'm partial to the hill country. Since you've been away you may have to travel a bit before making your decision. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Quite concerned about St Louis crime rate, the figures look very scary, so will most likely be back in KC!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 AM

582 posts, read 779,416 times
Do forget about the farmers market in KC. It is one of the best I have seen. You can get about anything you want there.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM

396 posts, read 653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Quite concerned about St Louis crime rate, the figures look very scary, so will most likely be back in KC!
KC metro is actually more dangerous than STL -

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2011...Lo-Hi_2011.pdf

On this list, which ranks safest high to dangerous low, St. Louis ranks 266 out of 354, KC ranks ahead of St. Louis at 285, making KC more dangerous, according to these stats.

Both cities are relatively about the same "threat" level - just make sure befriend the right people and stay out of a handful of neighborhoods, but KC is no safer than STL.

I would say that spend a weekend in both places, hit all the neighborhoods, figure out what you want in a city and what each one offers.

STL and KC amount of immigrants is about dead even in raw numbers, most of KC's are Latino, STL has more Europeans (mostly Bosnian) and more Asians.

I know one of the guys I use to work with in our KC office was from Taiwan and would make a special trip to STL 3 times a year to buy stuff he could not find in KC at St. Louis fledgling Chinatown along Olive Boulevard in U-City

St. Louis' Chinatown Thrives - St. Louis Magazine - April 2011 - St. Louis, Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri