Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

MO experts, I need your opinions. We are relocating to MO this summer and intend to stay put for at least the next 5 years. Deadline to plant our roots: August, because the kid is school-aged. The fiance currently has a job in Mexico, which is similar to the small town in another state that I've grown up in, so it's fine. BUT he has been offered a job at Lake of the Ozarks, Osage Beach area to be more specific. Which is a better area for a small family? We're in our early 30's and have the 9-year-old and might usher in another kid or two later. We're not night-life types. Going out to eat is fine, but then we like to relax at home with a sunset and movies. We all prefer outdoors and love water. The kid is used to very small private schools. Mexico has the little Catholic school which I've toured and I like it, I haven't researched schools at the Lake, yet. Mexico isn't too bad. The community is decent and it has a few nice parks and the YMCA. For anything else we've been driving to Columbia. I don't know anything about the Lake, yet, as I haven't been there. I'll visit this weekend, but am hoping to get some opinions in the meantime. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM

108 posts, read 284,534 times
Having been to both Mexico and Osage Beach, I feel like Osage Beach is the obvious choice especially since you prefer outdoors and love water. There are many family friendly activities to do there, and a much bigger selection of restaurants. Sunsets over the Lake are great too. Osage Beach just seems to have much more going for it; I've been to Mexico a couple times and it's definitely a quieter small town but didn't seem to have a lot else going for it...

...Unless you dislike crowds. If you dislike crowds consider staying in Mexico, as Osage Beach can get very crowded on summer weekends in particular in a way that you just won't see in Mexico. All of the main throughfares in Osage Beach can be VERY congested on nice summer Saturdays, and basically all of the family friendly activities will also be overrun by tourist families.

Now if you got a nice home near the Lake and could just stay around home, not needing to get out on 54 or Business 54 on Saturdays, then it would be less of a concern -- though there would still likely be a lot of boat traffic on the water itself. The crowds would be the biggest deterrent I can think of against moving to Osage Beach.

Can't comment on schools though as I have no idea.

Source: Lived in Columbia for 3 years before moving eastward to STL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri