Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,281,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
If the Republicans in the Legislature fail to impeach Greitens, it won't be because they're scared of the voters. It will because Greitens started bribing them last week by doling out more than $500,000 from his PAC "A New Missouri." (That's on top of $1.2 million the PAC has shelled out over the past few months.)

It's interesting how in the last week the Legislature quickly resurrected and started to ram through a bill on "right to work." This has long been on the state GOP's wish list, even though voters don't like it.

Greitens has shelled out almost $2 million to change their minds. He's corrupt.

Greitens and dark money are fueling Missouri's ugly right-to-work battle | The Kansas City Star
Actually, the latest poll shows right to work tied at 40 percent right now.

Could go either way IMO. This isn't 1979 anymore.

Of course there are places in St. Louis region that will vote against this as well as the KC area. IN 1979 when it was on the ballots the st. louis Television viewing area counties didn't vote for it as well as KC but in most of the other counties all voted for it. Especially southern Missouri and rural areas north of the Missouri river.

There was a map of it showing how each county voted. YOu could cut out the stl TV viewing area precisely on it. The unions did a advertising blitz in the St. Louis television market right before the vote.

Most jobs outside of the skilled construction trades and government are not union anymore anyway.

I know you got unions like UCFW which is a communist useless union anyway. I had to join them when I worked at shop in save. UCFW union starts grocery store workers super low. I was a produce clerk and at the time the starting wage was just barely over min wage. Then you have the union fee on top of it and the union does nothing for you. Only the grandfathered old workers got the real benefits .

I could have worked at McDonalds and made more money than what UCFW wages are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Oh, I see. When I read the article I had thought Gardner was the judge, for some reason.

Anyway, this creates an interesting what-if scenario: Let's say the case hadn't been dismissed, and the jury found Grietens not guilty. Seems to me that would make it harder for the legislature to impeach him. But now that the case has been dismissed, we won't know what the jury might have done (sans a new trial), so the legislature can go ahead and do whatever they want. Interestingly, it's possible this dismissal might actually have made it easier for the legislature to impeach him.
True. Like I said before though with the case being thrown out they could still impeach him. Like I said it's a slippery slope. It could really backfire on the Republicans big time impeaching the governor without a crime.

Lawmakers simply do not like Eric Greitens and will do anything to remove him it seems like.

The whole donor list is BS too. ALmost all politicians do illegal or borderline stuff like this all the time. The sex allegations are a lot more serious.

If Matt Blunt was in office right now they wouldn't be trying to impeach him for it. Lawmakers loved him.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Reading more comments today on the liberal post dispatch website and I'm surprised by the amount of comments against Kim Gardner and the libs of St. Louis and how Greitens is being railroaded.

As I said I really think this could be a disaster of the Republicans in the house and senate if they go ahead and impeach him. It could anger people. Even if it causes just a handful of people to vote third party in Nov it could cause a few of the seats in swing districts to go democrat and maybe the Republicans will lose their super majorities. Of course they will always keep the majorities but I could see the numbers go down to about 108 in the house and 22-23 in the senate.

A lot of people are mad at Josh Hawley too regarding how he has treated Greitens and won't vote for him in the primary and calling him a liberal hack.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:10 PM

20,747 posts, read 9,382,883 times
I can't help but wonder if all these people - including many in his own party - don't like Greitens for a good reason? Many the guy is really, truly a jerk?

Anyway, all I really care about at this point is to get a governor who doesn't have any skeletons in his or her closet that somebody will uncover and set off yet another scandal. It gets tiring after a while. I can't believe anybody with such skeletons in their closet bothers running for high office these days, thinking nobody will find aforementioned skeletons. Are they really that naive? Maybe their lust for power overpowers their sense of judgement? I mean, maybe 30+ years ago somebody could get away with stuff like that, but not these days. When the inevitable uncovering of said skeletons occurs, all it does is waste a lot of time.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,525,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I can't help but wonder if all these people - including many in his own party - don't like Greitens for a good reason? Many the guy is really, truly a jerk?

Anyway, all I really care about at this point is to get a governor who doesn't have any skeletons in his or her closet that somebody will uncover and set off yet another scandal. It gets tiring after a while. I can't believe anybody with such skeletons in their closet bothers running for high office these days, thinking nobody will find aforementioned skeletons. Are they really that naive? Maybe their lust for power overpowers their sense of judgement? I mean, maybe 30+ years ago somebody could get away with stuff like that, but not these days. When the inevitable uncovering of said skeletons occurs, all it does is waste a lot of time.
Oh, he is (or has been-- we shall see whether his come to Jesus moment has really happened) a jerk; that's why the Republicans have led the impeachment investigation. How he treated Rob Schaaf (a senior Republican senator) was insane, and insanely stupid-- tweeting his personal cell phone number because he dared to disagree with Greitens on something that, as I recall, was minor. He's yelled at, and belittled, several other legislators, more so last year than this year, probably because he's been distracted this year...but that didn't stop him from putting up some other nasty anti-Schaaf billboard on US 50 heading south into Jeff during this session. (I don't drive that way as a rule and just noticed it once, the message didn't stick).

I mean, I wouldn't bother harassing Democrats if I were him, there are so few of them, and most of them have safe seats courtesy of Republican-drawn gerrymandering. A few don't know when to shut up (Hello, Ms. Chappelle-Nadal!), but they're utterly powerless and therefore harmless.

As for the dark money buying right to work votes, I think the Republican majority were more than happy to deliver a present to their regular sugar daddies.

As for teh dismissal, I knew it was a foregone conclusion once the prosecutor couldn't find a picture. Even a St. Louis City jury wasn't going to convict without pictures.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 PM

20,747 posts, read 9,382,883 times
Well then, there you go. If they impeach him, he's probably getting a bit of, You Reap What You Sow.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Oh, he is (or has been-- we shall see whether his come to Jesus moment has really happened) a jerk; that's why the Republicans have led the impeachment investigation. How he treated Rob Schaaf (a senior Republican senator) was insane, and insanely stupid-- tweeting his personal cell phone number because he dared to disagree with Greitens on something that, as I recall, was minor. He's yelled at, and belittled, several other legislators, more so last year than this year, probably because he's been distracted this year...but that didn't stop him from putting up some other nasty anti-Schaaf billboard on US 50 heading south into Jeff during this session. (I don't drive that way as a rule and just noticed it once, the message didn't stick).

I mean, I wouldn't bother harassing Democrats if I were him, there are so few of them, and most of them have safe seats courtesy of Republican-drawn gerrymandering. A few don't know when to shut up (Hello, Ms. Chappelle-Nadal!), but they're utterly powerless and therefore harmless.

As for the dark money buying right to work votes, I think the Republican majority were more than happy to deliver a present to their regular sugar daddies.

As for teh dismissal, I knew it was a foregone conclusion once the prosecutor couldn't find a picture. Even a St. Louis City jury wasn't going to convict without pictures.
Most are safe.

Jill Schupp's seat isn't in a safe district though. If you can get a good candidate against her she could lose in a close race. Same with district 11 in KC could swing Republican.

The way the senate is set up it will be hard for Republicans to go under 23 members due to the districts. Actually 8 years ago it was even more favorable when they had like 27 seats I think but a judge ordered them to be re-drawn and that's how I lost Jim Lembke because they put more of his district in St. Louis city which caused it to go democrap.

Most of the Republicans in the MO senate currently are in heavily Republican districts that would be almost impossible for one to lose a race even if Jesus was a democrat.

Caleb Rowden and Schaff's districts are the only two I believe where competitive the last two elections. Others wise the republicans all win by huge margins so big that there is no way they will ever flip.

Oh and there is more to why Greitens is hated.

It has to do with tax credits and a few big political donors who own property getting shafted because Greitens refuses to support the tax credits hence causing these landlords to lose a lot of cash.

This happened with Matt Blunt too when he refused to support the renewal of them. One even wrote a letter to Blunt chewing him out and told Blunt he would donate campaign money to Jay Nixon instead of the Republican. Blunt didn't budge and even posted the letter for the public to see.

Blunt is a great guy. I'd love to see him run for a second term as governor of Missouri. However, he has a cushy high paying lobbyist job in DC now. I doubt he would want to give that up to be governor again.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Breaking right now! Prosecutors decline to charge the governor on the campaign financing.

This donor list was supposed to be the charge that had a better chance of sticking.

https://www.kshb.com/news/state/miss...finance-report

IF they impeach him, it will be because the establishment in the capital hate him and simply want to get the guy out of office to get their bubba Mike Parsons in there.

That's why I said that if charges are dropped or found not guilty but they go ahead and impeach him anyway could be a big blow to the Republicans in the house and senate. That would anger a lot of voters in the state of Missouri, especially being a deep red state. If you read the comments on stltoday and other news sites, many people think its BS how they wasted stl city money on this bogus privacy charge.

This could cause Republicans to sit at home or simply vote third party and could cause a few seats to flip that are in the more swing districts.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,351,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Put a fork in that trumpkin. Hes done.
I guess all the phoney baloney you were counting on with smug confidence didn't hold up.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I guess all the phoney baloney you were counting on with smug confidence didn't hold up.
Still to early to say because as I said the establishment wants to get rid of him. However this could make him more popular than ever especially beating out prosecution and if he beats out being impeached. It means he's Teflon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri