Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:57 PM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times

Advertisements

Saddlebrook is a development that has now incorporated so I guess it is technically a town. I'm not sure how it is governed. You can do a search for a previous discussion about this. It is one of the prettiest places you will ever find. I wish it was a little closer to Springfield and I could afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Saddlebrook is a development that has now incorporated so I guess it is technically a town. I'm not sure how it is governed. You can do a search for a previous discussion about this. It is one of the prettiest places you will ever find. I wish it was a little closer to Springfield and I could afford it.
Thanks - - I did an MLS search on it, and found that I can't afford it either! At least, not unless life takes some sort of unexpected turn. Right now I'm not thinking of spending half a million on a retirement home in southwest Missouri. Those houses ARE gorgeous, and nestled in the Mark Twain National Forest like that on acres of land - - it does seem idyllic.

Yet I really think I'd be just as happy or happier in a nice, average home in south Springfield, which I can afford with a little extra $$ left over. To me, the opportunity to spend very little on an entirely adequate home is one of Springfield's greatest attributes.

Well, then there's the Bass Pro Shop! Love that place.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Ozarks21, is Saddlebrook a town or a subdivision? Where is it?
Saddlebrooke is a development and Village that is about 2/3 of the way to Branson off US65, headed south out of Sprinfield. I've contacted the Saddlebrooke personnel and this is what I've found. The developer is a local guy. He has the land, put in the streets, provided a sewer system, and a water system so you don't need to put in your own well.

As with any development, zoning issues needed to go through the county. However, the developer discovered that if he incorporated as a governmental entity, he could do his own zoning. So he did it.

When I asked about the issue, the salesman said that the incorporation was done just so they could do their own zoning. There was no other reason whatsoever. I don't know if I believe that, but it's what I was told.

So, it is a "Village" based upon it's size, but there are no additional city taxes. There are also no other municipal codes . . . at least for now.

There supposedly is no "Mayor" or city council. However, it appears that the developer (one man) is the defacto Mayor of the incorporated entity. The problem is that he can't be voted out of the governmental agency position by the residents of the Village, since it doesn't appear to have been created except for a zoning ability through the developer. It appears to be some kind of governmental entity, in whole or part, without any recourse through a democratic process.

That's what bothers me . . . Responsibilities without Accountabilities. Once you start down a hill, speed only increases and you end up crashing at the bottom of the hill. No matter what they say for now, something can be entirely different tomorrow and I don't know where it's going. It's a confusing situation for me.

The developement and Village of Saddlebrooke also has a Home Owners Association (HOA) common with many developments today. The HOA has Restrictions, Covenants, and Conventions, basically a list of rules that you agree to follow. When I read through them, I didn't find them overly restrictive.

Since it has an HOA, with a bunch of Association owned ammenties such as pool, roadways, tennis court, etc., there is an annual Association fee. I think it's $395 per annum right now, with the ability to rise 20% per year at the behest of the Association (aka developer). Again, I didn't read any ability of the homeowners to have input into an increase or any way to challenge a rise in fees.

BTW, you would never guess who's in control of the Association right now. Yup, it's the developer and, according to the Association documents, it appears to me that he doesn't give up control of the Association until he has sold all of his interest in the development. That's the way I read it in the governing documents so it somewhat concerns me. When will that time be and when will the stakeholders in the community (aka homeowners) be able to have a voice in their Village and Association?

Another issue that will one day raise its ugly head recently occurred in a development in Arkansas. It's the Bella Vista development near Bentonville. In that case, Bella Vista was in an unincorporated part of the county. It had an HOA that owned a lot of community assets.

The area recently decided that it wanted to incorporate into a town. In that scenario, the HOA common assets would be turned over to the new city entity for managment and maintenance.

Those assets couldn't just be given to the new town. The Associaton had to receive compensation, so the City of Bella Vista needed to float some bonds to buy them from the Association. That sounds fine on it's face until it was realized that the homeowners had previously paid for, and maintained, the assets through their Association dues. They would now need to pay for them again via their newly formed city taxes that would go towards paying off the bonds used to purchase them from the Association. They were effectively paying for them twice over.

So, is that the way it's going to go with Saddlebrooke way down the road? I don't know, but it is the way they went with another development in a similar situation. Combined with the other issues, there's this little bug in my ear that keeps telling me to watch out . . . something might be amiss.

In spite of all that, Saddlebrooke is an area that I will consider for our home. There's at least one in there that we like. However, I will need to gain further understanding of the situation and the future plans beyond what can be explained in a promise or via current intentions.

Last edited by garth; 02-09-2007 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Saddlebrooke is a town and Village that is about 2/3 of the way to Branson off US65, headed south out of Sprinfield. I've contacted the Saddlebrooke personnel and this is what I've found. The developer is a local guy. He has the land, put in the streets, provided a sewer system, and a water system so you don't need to put in your own well.

As with any development, zoning issues needed to go through the county. However, the developer discovered that if he incorporated as a governmental entity, he could do his own zoning. So he did it.

When I asked about the issue, the salesman said that the incorporation was done just so they could do their own zoning. There was no other reason whatsoever. I don't know if I believe that, but it's what I was told.

So, it is a "Village" based upon it's size, but there are no additional city taxes. There are also no other municipal codes . . . at least for now.

There supposedly is no "Mayor" or city council. However, it appears that the developer (one man) is the defacto Mayor of the incorporated entity. The problem is that he can't be voted out of the governmental agency position by the residents of the Village, since it doesn't appear to have been created except for a zoning ability through the developer. It appears to be some kind of governmental entity, in whole or part, without any recourse through a democratic process.

That's what bothers me . . . Responsibilities without Accountabilities. Once you start down a hill, speed only increases. No matter what they say for now, something can be entirely different tomorrow and I don't know where it's going. It's a confusing situation for me.

The developement and Village of Saddlebrooke also has a Home Owners Association (HOA) common with many developments today. The HOA has Restrictions, Covenants, and Conventions, basically a list of rules that you agree to follow. When I rad through them, I didn't find them overly restrictive.

Since it has an HOA, with a bunch of Association owned ammenties such as pool, roadways, tennis court, etc., there is an annual Association fee. I think it's $395 per annum right now, with the ability to rise 20% per year at the behest of the Association (aka developer). Again, I didn't read any ability of the homeowners to have input into an increase or any way to challenge a rise in fees.

So, is that the way it's going to go with Saddlebrooke way down the road? I don't know, but it is the way they went with another development in a similar situation. Combined with the other issues, there's this little bug in my ear that keeps telling me to watch out . . . something might be amiss.

In spite of all that, Saddlebrooke is an area that I will consider for our home. There's at least one in there that we like. However, I will need to gain further understanding of the situation and the future plans beyond what can be explained in a promise or via current intentions.
Wow, great overview and research report! I think you answered your own question... it's sounds....sticky. I'd avoid it. It may be beautiful and it may pan out fine...but what if it doesn't and the legal entanglements end up costing you money as well as scaring off potential buyers for your home in the future if you were to for whatever reason choose to sell it?
I'd listen to the the warning signals you're picking up and not invest in it... certainly not until you were absolutely convinced you would be safe, and certainly not before you had these documents and their implications versus ownership, rights, fees, taxes, bonds, etc. reviewed by a competent attorney to advise you thoroughly.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Hey guys, I just wanted to add that I don't mean to sound sooooo negative. I reread my last post and it might be taken that way by some. I just try to do my homework/due diligence so I can minimize any surprises. That homework will lead me where it chooses to lead me, both towards positive results and negative results.

BTW everyone, thanks for helping me with my homework over the past few weeks or so. I appreciate it!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 PM

To use Mark's words, this definitely sounds sticky!! I'd go with your gut feelings, Garth. One thing I've learned from living in Louisiana - - if there's opportunity for corruption then that's very likely what will occur. (It's no more likely to occur in Louisiana than in other states, but here it is customary to keep all of our dirty linen out in the open).

I didn't think you sounded negative, Garth. It's our responsibility as buyers to do our own due diligence. If there is something we don't feel comfortable with and we choose to look elsewhere, that's not negativity - - it's exercising freedom in our decisions.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-09-2007 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 PM

76 posts, read 394,527 times
Your home is nice MoMark. I am hoping to be on my way to Missouri by the time summer comes around in the next few months. Anything to beat the 110-115 degree weather around here in Vegas!

As far as the brick homes, my husband likes them. I don't mind either way, it just depends on the design of the house. I guess the brick would be better to ward off the termites and woodpeckers. I currently have a stucco home but we hardly get any rain here so it's really not a problem in regards to mold or fungus.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3bunny View Post
Your home is nice MoMark. I am hoping to be on my way to Missouri by the time summer comes around in the next few months. Anything to beat the 110-115 degree weather around here in Vegas!

As far as the brick homes, my husband likes them. I don't mind either way, it just depends on the design of the house. I guess the brick would be better to ward off the termites and woodpeckers. I currently have a stucco home but we hardly get any rain here so it's really not a problem in regards to mold or fungus.
Thank you c3bunny It sure took a search to find it! I'm very fortunate..I know. Believe me, I take nothing for granted.
I have to say though, before you move to Springfield, enjoy the things about Las Vegas you like best to solidly put them in your memory file.
I loved Las Vegas. I loved my home there overlooking the valley and the view of the Strip six miles to the north. I could lay in bed at night with my head perched on a pillow and watch the Strip from (in my south-to-north view) the Mandalay Bay to the Stratosphere Tower and the planes coming in and taking off from McCaron Airport. I also had a pool, so I'd often swim after the sun began to recede behind my neighbor to the west's house so I could enjoy the cool water without burning.
My home in Southfork off Eastern/St. Rose Pkwy. Sometimes I miss it! It was a joy to live in!!!

There is nowhere like Las Vegas and I will always remember it fondly. I don't miss 115F or 120F days with 30mph steady winds, but...I do miss the mornings of brilliant sunshine, crystal blue clear skies, the mountains in sharp relief and the clarity in clean air of the valley views, as well as drinking morning coffee outside with the dragonflies helicoptering over the back lawns after they were automatically watered.
Las Vegas truly is unique. I miss parts of it as it was my favorite place to live before moving to Missouri.
Missouri is spectacular, unimaginably lush and green, colorful, clean... You know you're in Classic America here and it feels like it and looks like it. It's breathtakingly beautiful. My mother had a similar reaction to mine upon first arriving here to visit me. She is originally from Massachusetts and has lived most of her life in Northern California (another beautiful area). Her home is a gorgeous redwood sided gem with two levels of decks overlooking the Stanislaus river and they are surrounded in typical Californian oak and it's very pretty. But when she saw southwest Missouri, she literally was bowled over. I remember taking her on a tour in June around Springfield, the countryside to the west, and to Branson and she literally was glued to the windows and gasping with amazement at the beauty. She couldn't believe it. She says it's one of the most beautiful areas she's ever seen. My mother is not easily moved. Even I was impressed with her reaction. She wants to move here and told me the other night she'll be here to visit very soon with or without my stepdad who HATES cold weather! (He likes it here in the summer as the golf courses are superb! But he heads for Arizona in the winter once N.CA. gets too cold for him).
I had Las Vegas yearnings during the ice storm... But overall, I know I made the best decision coming here for me. I truly love southwest Missouri. In warmer and good weather, I sit on the stoop and look out and view everything in detail and I think..."WOW!".
My home in Vegas was stucco too. It sure looked well-built and strong...but then I saw the styrofoam under the broken stucco on a corner of the garage that had been hit by a basketball...I was shocked! I was told that all the architectural details are mostly styrofoam covered in stucco...who knew?!!!
Then again, it doesn't have the weather of Missouri which is very harsh in comparison for a building. Brick is best here in my opinion.
My house in Las Vegas would quickly look beat up here I think!!!
Not my business of course, but if you can get top dollar for your home in Las Vegas ( can recommend a go-getter realtor for you if you like, one who charges 4.5% for full service and whose husband is an attorney to boot!!!), you can pay off all debts and there may be enough moolah left over to buy outright here! Nothing beats owning free and clear if you can!

Last edited by MoMark; 02-12-2007 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
(...) you can pay off all debts and there may be enough moolah left over to buy outright here! Nothing beats owning free and clear if you can!
You can say that again! I just paid off my house here in New Orleans, and I don't intend to ever have another mortgage. Housing here isn't as expensive as in Las Vegas. Still, after I buy a house in Springfield I'll probably end up with some left over to add to my retirement stash.

Nice house in Vegas, Mark! Still, I think you made the right choice. Maybe I'm biased towards Springfield, though.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Default Brick isn't so bad...

In Hawaii, here's a custom builder home that can be had in the high 200's:

We have thousands of hideous homes just like this one. Siding is T-111
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri