Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM

15 posts, read 87,343 times

Advertisements

I've recently been accepted to University of Missouri. I'm a Hispanic student and I looked to see if there was any other minorities as well. Its such a small number that I a little afraid of coming here. I come from a school full of diversity where you can see everyone from different cultures. Is there a lot of diversity in Columbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiel735 View Post
I've recently been accepted to University of Missouri. I'm a Hispanic student and I looked to see if there was any other minorities as well. Its such a small number that I a little afraid of coming here. I come from a school full of diversity where you can see everyone from different cultures. Is there a lot of diversity in Columbia?
A major university, two colleges, nearly every large hospital in central Missouri ... yes, I think that you'll find Columbia diverse enough.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a location where Hispanics are in the majority, you'll need to head to a place like TAMU - Kingsville.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Definitely more blacks and Asians than Hispanics, but you'll find folks of every creed in Columbia, that I can say for sure.

I wouldn't give it another thought.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM

321 posts, read 837,970 times
Quote:

What is your current location?

There is cultural diversity in Columbia, and especially the College itself. If that is the only thing stopping you from accepting, I wouldn't let it get to ya.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
What is your current location?

There is cultural diversity in Columbia, and especially the College itself. If that is the only thing stopping you from accepting, I wouldn't let it get to ya.
I'm from a chicago suburb so around here there is alot diffrent kind of people. Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Quote:
I'm from a chicago suburb so around here there is alot diffrent kind of people. Thanks a bunch!
Have you considered any other schools? If you are going to be paying out-of-state tuition anyway, I'd consider either the University of Texas at Austin or Texas A&M if you are looking for a more diverse school within the Big 12. Both schools have good academics and a relatively large number of Hispanic students, with Texas A&M having more, although I believe UT-Austin is more diverse overall.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM

321 posts, read 837,970 times
Looks like you might have a few other choices you're considering. Nothing wrong with ASU either.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM

I've considered it, but in Missouri, its extremely easy to get residency.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
I've considered it, but in Missouri, its extremely easy to get residency.
You really don't need to worry to much because it is a Huge College town. You will love it there. It is the smaller towns that you need to worry about. I really like Columbia.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Here ya go, Hispanic student association at MU H.A.L.O. Hispanic American Leadership Organization (http://students.missouri.edu/~halo/ - broken link) Outside MU, there's enough of an Hispanic population to support two small restaurants, Taqueria el Rodeo and Carlito's, and all the grocery stores have Mexican imported foods like the Goya brand (can't remember the other ones). Some of the undocumenteds will move away as work dries up, but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri