Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,019,571 times

Advertisements

I would prefer organic over a lot of the frankenfood that is on the market today. The fact is that unless your food is home grown with organic fertilizers and pest control, from genetically unmodified seeds the chances are pretty good that you are not eating 100% organic food.

Definitely not worth the premium prices except for meat products.

I also try to buy local. I do that in every state I live. The local Craft Brewers are as good as anywhere in the country. But it is difficult to know if you are purchsing locally grown produce. Correct me if it is already being done, but Missouri should develop a "Made in Missouri", or "Grown in Missouri" Program to brand their produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I would prefer organic over a lot of the frankenfood that is on the market today. The fact is that unless your food is home grown with organic fertilizers and pest control, from genetically unmodified seeds the chances are pretty good that you are not eating 100% organic food.

Definitely not worth the premium prices except for meat products.

I also try to buy local. I do that in every state I live. The local Craft Brewers are as good as anywhere in the country. But it is difficult to know if you are purchsing locally grown produce. Correct me if it is already being done, but Missouri should develop a "Made in Missouri", or "Grown in Missouri" Program to brand their produce.
http://www.agrimissouri.com/agrimissouri.htm (broken link)

Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
About AgriMissouri (http://www.agrimissouri.com/agrimissouri.htm - broken link)
So why don't I see something like a "Grown (or made in) in Missouri" sticker on locally grown produce and goods? I've seen it in many states, why not Missouri?

This is exactly what I mean by settling for mediocrity. Instead of following a program or project all the way through, the local trend is to settle for "this is good enough" instead of "what will make this program great?"

Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So why don't I see something like a "Grown (or made in) in Missouri" sticker on locally grown produce and goods? I've seen it in many states, why not Missouri?

This is exactly what I mean by settling for mediocrity. Instead of following a program or project all the way through, the local trend is to settle for "this is good enough" instead of "what will make this program great?"

Old 09-19-2009, 12:27 PM

I feel sorry for people that can't comprehend, and then have to mock ideas that may only improve things

the little emoticons are cute.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for people that can't comprehend, and then have to mock ideas that may only improve things

the little emoticons are cute.
Watch it Buster.........
Maybe thats why Cali went broke, they spent all their $$$ on stickers, which is wastful anyway.......
If you would develop a relationship with some of the vendors at your local farmers market, they would be proud to tell you exactly where their product comes from, and exactly how its grown.......its not that difficult.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Thank you kshe95girl.

I was doing my best to remain gracefully kind and keep the high road in the face of flat out rudeness and condescending assumptions displayed by the previous poster.

Oh, and to our previous poster, you are most welcome for the link to the subject of which you displayed your ignorance and yet invited comment. Good manners, sir, are never parochial.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-19-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Watch it Buster.........
Maybe thats why Cali went broke, they spent all their $$$ on stickers, which is wastful anyway.......
If you would develop a relationship with some of the vendors at your local farmers market, they would be proud to tell you exactly where their product comes from, and exactly how its grown.......its not that difficult.
Again, you guys are not getting it. You've already have the program. Why stop there? Anybody with just a small amount of marketing knowledge will tell you to "grow the brand". Stickers would be a dent in the budget and could easily paid for by a cooperative relationship. Calling it wasteful is small thinking.

I don't have time to go to a farmers market every week (as much as I would like to). Remember I did tell you that I prefer to buy local as much as possible. But how do you know that something is locally made or grown? YOU BRAND IT.

I don't care if you think I'm rude. I told you I have no tolerance for mediocrity. Contrary to what you think about me, I do care about where I live.

And BTW, California is already on the road to recovery. I work in Advertising. I billed out for over $2200 last week from a California agency. When California advertising is making a recovery, it only means that good things are ahead of us.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 09-19-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thank you kshe95girl.

I was doing my best to remain gracefully kind and keep the high road in the face of flat out rudeness and condescending assumptions displayed by the previous poster.

Oh, and to our previous poster, you are most welcome for the link to the subject of which you displayed your ignorance and yet invited comment. Good manners, sir, are never parochial.
lifelongMogirl, you are so right, good manners are a hallmark of gracious living which seems to be on the wane.
I, for one, commend you on the goodness of your replies, which are the calling card of most native Missourians.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Again, you guys are not getting it. You've already have the program. Why stop there? Anybody with just a small amount of marketing knowledge will tell you to "grow the brand". Stickers would be a dent in the budget and could easily paid for by a cooperative relationship. Calling it wasteful is small thinking.

I don't have time to go to a farmers market every week (as much as I would like to). Remember I did tell you that I prefer to buy local as much as possible. But how do you know that something is locally made or grown? YOU BRAND IT.
I feel as though i am trying to have an intelligent conversation with a fencepost!
Dinsdale, I bet I know a LOT more about how grow local operates than you.
We are not interested in "branding", that sort of thing is rather eschewed in these circles. Marketing and all the artifice involved with the hype is NOT something that honest grow local people are interested in.
We dont want to get uber-wealthy, we are more interested in getting REAL product into the hands of locals who appreciate it, its not ALWAYS about money.
Also, I have had over 30 years experience in the retail world, much of has been spent growing my own brand in the interior design world, so dont dare to lecture ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri