Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,240 times

Advertisements

I am curious. While I was searching for places to live I seen underground storm cellar, storm shelter and basement. So my question which is the best and why? Another question how do you know if the underground storm cellar is SAFE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 04:21 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times
I dont know much about the underground shelter. I suppose they would be the safest because there is nothing on top of it to fall and cover the door. Its not like a seller has a house on top of it to cover your only exit when the storm passes and destroys your house.
ON the other hand, you may live in a home for 20 years and never use it. It just takes up space in your lawn and doesnt look very nice. I think a basement is just as safe. I prefer the walk out basement method for a few reasons.
1. You dont need to worry about flooding in the basement because at least one side of the basement is above ground level and the water will not stay there (have a sump pump anyhoo).
2. My (and most) walk outs have a safe room surrounder on 3 sides and a floor and roof with cement.
3. A walk out basement has windows and can serve as an additional level for your house, keeping fresh air downstairs and not smelling molded and stuffy. You can also have an additional pattio down stairs and its a great private place to put a hot tub.

The only other downfall that I see to having a detached seller would be having to take your family outside in a storm to get to the seller before the tornado. Sellers are usually verry small and stuffy inside.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:08 PM

145 posts, read 655,714 times
I will second the vote for a basement rather than a storm shelter or cellar. And Gsd353 is dead-on about walk-out basements--they are the best plan for all the reasons listed. The idea of walking across the lawn or going outside at all in storm time is not a safe option to me. At least with the basement, you can be comfortable while you riding out the weather, plus you can mange the upkeep of it far easier. Another thing is, sometimes the tornadoes come with such little warning that, again, I wouldn't want to have to run out in to the yard, personally. Sure, there is a whole level of the house above you, this is true, but the tornado usually picks stuff up off of the top level anyway, leaving little to really fall in to the bottom (if it does damage at all--some houses get touched and others don't on the very same street). I'm not saying all of it couldn't fall in, just saying it's not highly likely (not enough to make me want a storm shelter or cellar instead). No matter what, there is no way to guarantee that any of these types of places are completely "SAFE"; storms are unpredictable by nature, can dig up at the ground, etc, so just keep that part in mind. On the other hand, also keep in mind that like Gsd353 said, you might live in a home for like 20+ yrs and never see a tornado (you will see storms, no question on this, just maybe not ever a funnel formed nearby). Hope this all helps!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
I am curious. While I was searching for places to live I seen underground storm cellar, storm shelter and basement. So my question which is the best and why? Another question how do you know if the underground storm cellar is SAFE?
Also, there are a lot of homes here in MO with walkout basements. Its a pretty popular thing. You dont see storm shelters around here unless they are old homes (usually on a farm). They got pretty popular here for a short time after an outbreak of twisters here in Jasper / Barry County on May4 04. Not so much any more.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 AM

Wow! Thank You SO MUCH for taking the time to explain. I learned something today. I will keep a look out for basements when I buy a home. As soon as I figure out where. Hopefully Farms out there have basements.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:01 AM

75 posts, read 108,660 times
Basement, definitely. You can finish it out so it is actually useful when the maybe once in a century tornado swings through your immediate neighborhood.

Tornado = 30 minutes of freaky, tops

Basement = decades of useful space

Besides, if a tornado comes to your house, and you are underground, and it gets you anyways? Well, darlin, that tornado was made for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
I plan to retire in Missouri, and (having lived in "tornado country" before) I know that I would feel a lot happier during tornado warnings if I end up buying a house with a basement.

But, it seems to me that most houses with basements have the washer/dryer down there. While I could retreat to a basement during tornado warnings, stairs are difficult for me at this stage in life so I wouldn't want to be dragging several heavy baskets of laundry up and down stairs several times a week, and trotting up and down to check on whether the laundry was done and so on.

I would never use the basement for anything else, most likely, due to the stairs.

Guess I will get a house on a slab and cower in a central hallway or bathroom when there are tornado warnings. I hate that.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I plan to retire in Missouri, and (having lived in "tornado country" before) I know that I would feel a lot happier during tornado warnings if I end up buying a house with a basement.

But, it seems to me that most houses with basements have the washer/dryer down there. While I could retreat to a basement during tornado warnings, stairs are difficult for me at this stage in life so I wouldn't want to be dragging several heavy baskets of laundry up and down stairs several times a week, and trotting up and down to check on whether the laundry was done and so on.

I would never use the basement for anything else, most likely, due to the stairs.

Guess I will get a house on a slab and cower in a central hallway or bathroom when there are tornado warnings. I hate that.
I think that the story with some older houses. Mine has a walk out basement and the utility room is off of the garage. My basement is fininshed unto a Large living room with a mini kitchen, 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths and a small bar/pool room. So, you see a basement can be like another house down stairs. Would be a dream if you had older kids!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I think that the story with some older houses. Mine has a walk out basement and the utility room is off of the garage. My basement is fininshed unto a Large living room with a mini kitchen, 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths and a small bar/pool room. So, you see a basement can be like another house down stairs. Would be a dream if you had older kids!
My girls would love it Especially if it is a huge play room. Not to crazy about having the laundry room in the basement. Hey that is whay my husband is for

Old 05-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
My girls would love it Especially if it is a huge play room. Not to crazy about having the laundry room in the basement. Hey that is whay my husband is for
Its also nice because at the end of the week when the house looks like it has been "lived in" for, well.... a week, you can have friends over and keep them downstairs where it is neat and in order and you have no need to feel like the house is a mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri