Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 02:15 PM

237 posts, read 440,450 times

Advertisements

So I was driving yesterday and began to see light steam (like cigarette smoke) coming from under the hood on driver side. Pulled over and popped hood and realized that coolant had sprayed from some unknown point of origin all over engine compartment. There is no knocking or anything wrong engine wise that I can see, so my question is if anyone can diagnose this issue. Possible radiator leak? Or worse? I didn't cause some front end bumper damage more toward the wheel well on driver side about two weeks ago driving to work in snow so possible a culprit right there. Thank you in advance.

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
155,000 Miles
Minnesota Car (says it all)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Find out what broke/cracked is leaking and you will have your problem. Could be anything from a leaking hose, worn out gasket, to a plugged/cracked radiator, or it could be something much much worse like a head gasket/warped head

Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
I have the same year/model. A few years back I was driving and got that same light steam coming from under the hood. I was able to fill the radiator with bottled water and get it home that way, but it turned out to be a crack in the radiator. I think Mitsu used a lot of cheap plastic on these cars. If your dash hasn't cracked already, it probably will soon. So my first guess would be a cracked radiator, especially if you noticed the engine starting to overheat before you turned it off.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Ya I will have my mechanic take a look at it a give you guys the diagnosis but I hope all is well. The dash has not cracked yet though the entire interior was refurbished under 50,000 miles ago.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Well, question is - WHAT ENGINE? 4 cyl and 6 cyl have very very different layout.
Radiators on 4 cyl leak around radiator nech, and coolant backsprays onto the engine. radiator needs to be replaced.
There is or was a goofy coolant line, joining thermostat housing and something on the driver engine side, 2 metal pipes connected with rubber hose - rubber hose being right above the exhaust manifold, heat, basically, caking that hose.
Those are 2 known leak spots for 4 cyl engine, 2.0L.

What do you ask for, if you going to give it to a mech anyway? That's his headache. And btw, low coolant does not cause engine knock, low oil does.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM

V6 and my bad for some reason I thought failing coolant system caused knocking but it does cause engines parts to begin expanding and seizing right?

And I asked because I had the hood popped up for an hour or so

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
No. You simply burn all rubber seals and gaskets in the engine. If driver has any common sense, he or she will shut engine down way before disaster strikes. Of course, unless you are a woman stuck on the cell, doing makeup and eating lunch - all same time.

What happens inside an overheating engine

When an engine starts overheating, a cascade of things start to go wrong. Most gasoline engines (not diesel) have a normal operating range of 195 to 220 degrees. At hotter than about 220 degrees, the engine may start misfiring as fuel combusts in places other than the combustion chamber. At 250 degrees, rubber and plastic parts of the engine start softening. At about 265 degrees, the aluminum, cast iron and metal components begin to soften, distort, stress. Boiling coolant can also cause the radiator to burst, the head gasket can be crushed, and old hoses can develop holes.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Cracked Radiator for sure

Old 01-15-2018, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
I have a 2000 eclipse gt v6 and I have been getting smoke on the passenger side under the hood and now my defroster doesn't work and I have no heat...... Could it b a bad radiator cap and or thermostat???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi