Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,066,687 times

Advertisements

I have a 2002 Montero Sport. The Service Engine Soon light came on. I read the code, and it was P0403 (EGR circuit malfunction). I replaced the EGR valve solenoid, which seemed to correct the problem. A couple of weeks later, on a rainy morning, I drove through a huge pond of water on my way to work. Just before getting to the parking lot at work, I noticed the engine idled rough when I came to stops. When I left work to go home, I noticed the rough idle problem still there. On the way home, the Service Engine Soon light came on again. I read the code and this time it was P0401 (EGR insufficient flow). Doing some quick troubleshooting I discovered the EGR valve would open as soon as the ignition was turned on. This is what was causing the rough idle. On a whim I re-installed the old EGR valve solenoid that I had previously replaced. This fixed the rough idle problem, but did not clear the P0401 code. I removed the EGR valve, checked for carbon build-up, and found none. I ended up replacing the EGR valve, and resetting the computer to clear the code. This seemed to fix everything for a few days, then the Service Engine Soon light came on again. Now I am back to the P0403 code. I could try buying another EGR valve solenoid and replacing that again, since that cleared the P0403 code the first time, but I hate to keep spending money by guessing what the problem is. Before I replaced the EGR valve solenoid the first time I had measured the resistance on the power connector port on the valve, and it read less than a couple of ohms of what it should. I didn't think that was a big deal, but replaced it anyway. After having the rough idle problem, I measured the resistance on the power connected port of the new EGR valve solenoid that I had installed, and it was way off. That would indicate that it had crapped out. Any other ideas rather than replacing the EGR valve solenoid again? I am seriously starting to doubt that it is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi