Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times

Advertisements

oh i am not disagreeing at all.
the undertaker has said he is to old, batista thinks he is going to do well because he is a freak athlete but i think he will get a couple of fights A LA herschal walker. i think the freak show aspect has always been there and will never go away. boxing claims they dont have it but most of the mma freak show started with boxing (see butter bean.......). i dont want to see the train wrecks but then the promotions like pride/ dream also had a lot to do with the modern day freak show.

these things will never go away, i expect they will slow as mma gains ground and settles in over more time. mma is just to new.

also having a trained in MA since you where a kid doesnt always help either. i mean jose canseco thinks he can fight because he has trained TKD since he was a kid.

there are kids that are training purely mma now like we all did tkd or kung fu or boxing or what not when we where growing up. have you seen the 2 brothers on the tap out commercial? my son has been training mma (mainly bjj) and i cant wait to see what he can do when he gets older. his jiu jitsu technique is beautiful and while he doesnt have as much knowledge as i do his technique is becoming just as tight as mine. he has only trained about 2 yrs full time, and since he was 3 on and off in "games". his work ethic is sick too, the kid does pushups better then 99% of the men out there today, he has his own kettlebells, jump rope, gloves wraps, and some weights. while he might never be a world champ but i tell you this much, he is gonna jack some "bully" up if he runs into him. (ok enough bragging lol, can you tell i am super proud)

anyway, i think there is a whole new future coming up which is why a guy like fedor is becoming obsolete. his training has not really evolved and while it still works, notice how few people will respect him like before. also notice his poor technique, especially his boxing, this is why he breaks his hands so often, proper technique would not stop it but will slow or lessen the chances of broken hands. this is the problem with rich franklin as well.

think about how bad royce would be owned if he where in his prime today playing the same ol gjj game he still plays. matt hughes owned him with little effort. even the "undefeated" rickson gracie would get beat down.
notice what a thai fighter can do with some takedown defense (also notice the mock gracie stomp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0HCXRgU5g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I always thought it would be interesting to see how small a fighter could have done in the original UFC tournaments. Royce was what 180 lbs or something? Be cool to see Aldo or Florian back in time versus guys like Dan Severn.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 PM

646 posts, read 801,249 times
Well one thing for sure rigas is that you having your son in mma or in any type of martial arts will keep a good head on his shoulder regardless if he becomes a "world Champ" or not.I have an 18 yr old nephew who has wrestled and is wrestling in college.he has taken tkd for over 6 yrs.he can defend hisself over a bully.But when I see him with other kids his age you can just tell how much more of a gentleman and more mature he is.I consider the reason for this is his being in wrestling and martial arts at an early age.But yes mma is very young and each generation of fighters will bring something to the cage that the previous fighters did not.Guys like Gracie,Shamrock and even fedor will not be considered the best ever because fighters and fighting styles do evolve.I just love martial arts,true martial arts practioners and to me even if your kids my kids aint world champions.To me it is just like the military in that it just makes young men out of kids and just good all the way around.Maybe that was a bit off topic.I am 36 and have practiced since I was 11.It kept me out of the bars and jail probally.I just hate to see it go down the wwe road,maybe it wont,maybe that crap will fade.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
sick fight rigas...thanks for posting.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I always thought it would be interesting to see how small a fighter could have done in the original UFC tournaments. Royce was what 180 lbs or something? Be cool to see Aldo or Florian back in time versus guys like Dan Severn.
i believe royce was closer to 170 back then.

i think a guy like aldo might be slightly to small, but his technique would serve him well with the art jimersons, and harald howards of the world. i think he would get crushed by a dan severn.
really i think royce was lucky that dan never learned how to throw a punch of any sort, because if he had he would have finished royce. royce also got lucky that kimo had a pony tail.

a guy like bj penn, or diego sanchez, would own, and anderson silva would destroy on the feet. its not even funny how much these guys in 17 yrs since ufc 1 have developed leaps and bounds.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM

so patrick cote got beat, again, and so he got cut from the ufc. gonzaga got beat up, again, and yet he still has a job. titos big ass head got beat to a watermellony pulp, again, and he not only still has a job but got paid $250,000 for the beating. (by the way, if you look him up on sherdog, did they use a wide angle lens or is that a normal picture of his head? you be the judge)

titos record in his last five fights, 0-4-1
gonzagas record last five, 2-3 with his 2 wins coming against nobodies.
cotes record last five, 2-3, 2 wins coming against quality opponents, 1 loss to the champ, and 2 losses against quality fighters.

ufc needs to give gabe and especially tito the boot.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Yup!

I can understand keeping someone with a so-so record who will be a gatekeeper at best if they consistently provide entertaining fights. I'd watch guys like Chris Lytle, Kurt Pellegrino, Melvin Guillard, etc. all day even though their chances of ever wearing a belt are pretty much nil.

Tito's fighting style consists of working plodding ineffective standup in hopes of getting takedowns that he rarely gets anymore. Gabe just backs up and occasionally swings for the fences. Boo.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Gonzaga got cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)