Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yep. Watching him vs. Okami in the second round, I knew what he was about to do (clown him), and I still couldn't believe it. The best fighter I've ever watched, by far.

In a sport that makes folks who don't know much about it think of brute force, here's a guy who floors people with jabs because he puts his strikes in the right places at the right times. UFC is running out of people to feed him; if he beats Sonnen (assuming he gets past Stann), what else is there to do but move up in weight or retire?
I guess that's the one knock on Anderson Silva: I don't know if UFC is running out of people to feed him, but they're running out of 185-pound fighters for sure. He and GSP are arguably the two most dominant fighters in a single weight class in the history of their sport, but if he wants to be even more legendary, he needs to do what Randy Couture did and win titles in two weight classes. Anderson's fought at 175 pounds before, so he could probably fight a catch-weight bout at about 180 or 175 against GSP. If he didn't do that, then let's see him fight a catch-weight bout against an elite light-heavyweight fighter like Rashad Evans, Mauricio Rua, or Bones Jones. I think Evans and Jones would give Silva all kinds of trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I guess that's the one knock on Anderson Silva: I don't know if UFC is running out of people to feed him, but they're running out of 185-pound fighters for sure.
True, he's run thru most of the division. Even the intriguing rematches that get mentioned (Hendo, Sonnen) are recycles.

However seems like middleweight has been a relatively thin on contenders for some time, guys like Cote and Lietes getting title shots. Even though Silva would be a huge favorite I wouldn't mind seeing him fight winner of Bisping/Mayhem. Also Stann is out there, if he beats Sonnen why not. How about a 185 lb version of Shields?

I wonder if they can get Jacare into UFC?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times
The only mega fight left is against GSP at a catch weight. Or a move to 205 again but challege the top guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yep. Watching him vs. Okami in the second round, I knew what he was about to do (clown him), and I still couldn't believe it. The best fighter I've ever watched, by far.

In a sport that makes folks who don't know much about it think of brute force, here's a guy who floors people with jabs because he puts his strikes in the right places at the right times. UFC is running out of people to feed him; if he beats Sonnen (assuming he gets past Stann), what else is there to do but move up in weight or retire?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,836 times
I don't care to see silva get any skinnier so gsp at 185 or not at all IMO. I would much rather see him at 205 or fight a couple strikeforce guys..... Jacare, hendo again, Tim kennedy.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM

229 posts, read 206,788 times
Nog won and that made me happy. Meh to the rest, already knew Silva was going to win so it kinda put a damper on that match for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)