Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Come one krudmonk, can't you get along with me? Why can't we get along? I haven't been critical of San Jose lately, isn't that enough?

Hey, I didn't know that it was common knowledge that Kimbo Slice was considered a joke, my God man. I don't follow MMA, just the occasional peek at what is being marketed. Differing opinions are what this world is all about....and you're right, I do have a bias. I prefer Boxing.

About starting a bogus thread, you should loosen up and try it sometime. Generates great discussion.
Yes, Kimbo was/is a joke. He would have been waxed by a real boxer too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,361,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Come one krudmonk, can't you get along with me? Why can't we get along? I haven't been critical of San Jose lately, isn't that enough?

Hey, I didn't know that it was common knowledge that Kimbo Slice was considered a joke, my God man. I don't follow MMA, just the occasional peek at what is being marketed. Differing opinions are what this world is all about....and you're right, I do have a bias. I prefer Boxing.

About starting a bogus thread, you should loosen up and try it sometime. Generates great discussion.
I'm aware of the backlash only because I associate with some who follow the sport, or rather, the amalgamation of sports. I see you're a boxing guy, but don't be like the desperate goons on ESPN who argue the old status quo against the newcomer with ignorant tags like "human ****-fighting." Kimbo Slice is a hack and a freakshow. He's analogous to George W Bush falsely representing Americans. It's a false front.

In what I've seen of MMA, the stand-outs are known for their expert disciplines. None of those include "street fighting" or "backyard wrestling." They are established martial arts (the MA in MMA) with actual credibility. It's probably too much for the television public to learn or relate to, so they propped up a big dude who pummeled guys. **** happens.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,341,285 times
well a grappler would beat the boxer if the boxer has absolutely no grappling knowledge

however it would not take long of the boxer to catch up to the grappler in regards to being able to at least neutralize the grappler's grappling to some extent

on the flipside, it would be harder for the grappler to catch up to the boxer in regards to striking

Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,985,238 times
I'd love to see someone like Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, or Urijah Faber get the push that Kimbo received. I don't think we've seen a well rounded fighter receive much hype yet. Even the guys who were huge at one point or another - Chuck Liddell, Royce Gracie, Randy Couture, etc. - seemed to have plenty of holes in their game and had almost handpicked opponents.

Oh, and since we're already discussing "Kimbo," I see the state of Florida has begun a preliminary investigation into whether the promoters (Elite XC) tried to influence the fight between "Slice" and Petruzelli. Seth made some comments to an Orlando radio station that (paraphrasing) implied the promoters wanted him to keep the fight standing and he would be compensated for doing so. He later backpedaled and said he was just referring to the "KO of the night" bonus - which may or may not be true. Who knows? Aside from the Kimbo stuff, I actually enjoy the Elite XC promotion and wouldn't want to seem them fade away - at least just yet. I guess we'll see how all of this unfolds.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I'm aware of the backlash only because I associate with some who follow the sport, or rather, the amalgamation of sports. I see you're a boxing guy, but don't be like the desperate goons on ESPN who argue the old status quo against the newcomer with ignorant tags like "human ****-fighting." Kimbo Slice is a hack and a freakshow. He's analogous to George W Bush falsely representing Americans. It's a false front.

In what I've seen of MMA, the stand-outs are known for their expert disciplines. None of those include "street fighting" or "backyard wrestling." They are established martial arts (the MA in MMA) with actual credibility. It's probably too much for the television public to learn or relate to, so they propped up a big dude who pummeled guys. **** happens.
Like I said, I don't care for the gimmick however it is marketed. Can't believe that this gorilla-looking character was being promoted as much as he was, but glad that he wasn't representing the sport of Boxing.

My preference is for Boxing absolutely, and I can express that preference in whatever manner that suits me. I didn't care for WWF, Roller Derby either. If they ever come up a another gimmick sport like Blind-Folded Lumberjack Groin Pull or Trailer Park Liquor Bottle Noggin Smash, I might be amused at the ridiculousness of it, but I won't appreciate the "special" skills of the participants and I certainly won't be a fan of these "sports."

MMA has its following, but I think it sucks.

...and so it goes.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:49 PM

Are you saying MMA is a gimmick?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,931 times
You may not appreciate it, and that's fine. That does not mean there is no talent or skill involved. I really don't like opera, but I appreciate the talent.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,341,285 times
but you have to admit

It is being marketed like a gimmick

I mean with a reality TV series, fights on free TV quite often

BJJ schools popping up everywhere run by some run guy who was given a black belt to make him legit so he can make money for the guy who promoted him

Muay Thai schools popping up everywhere run by some guy who was given a "certification" so he could also make his boss money

Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
but you have to admit

It is being marketed like a gimmick

I mean with a reality TV series, fights on free TV quite often

BJJ schools popping up everywhere run by some run guy who was given a black belt to make him legit so he can make money for the guy who promoted him

Muay Thai schools popping up everywhere run by some guy who was given a "certification" so he could also make his boss money
Boxing has all of the above as well. The reality shows came after The Contender which was boxing.

You do have a point on the schools, but that's not who fights in these events. You can't condemn boxing for cardio box workouts at gyms either.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM

How can you complain about fights on free tv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)