Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,982,996 times

Advertisements

One of the best cards of the year. I'm stoked! Here are the matches and my (most likely incorrect) picks.

Main Card Bouts (Pay-per-view):

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Frank Mir
Anything Frank can do Minotauro can do better. This is going to be embarrasing on the Pac-Man/De la Hoya scale.

-Forrest Griffin (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rashad Evans (#4 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
This fight won't be all that exciting. Forrest will control and dictate the fight while Rashad will counter fight. Forrest wins by being bigger and controlling the pace.

-Quinton Jackson (#2 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Wanderlei Silva (#6 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
Who cares if they've fought twice already? Things are different here - no ring, careers have changed, and most importantly, steroid testing! I honestly can see this going either way, but I'll take "Rampage" in the upset, although I'm rooting the "the Axe Murderer."

-Mostapha Al Turk vs. Cheick Kongo

-C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio
It's a shame this is on the televised portion of the PPV.

Preliminary Bouts:

-Yushin Okami (#5 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dean Lister
This one could become ugly in multiple ways.

-Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy

-Ryo Chonan vs. Brad Blackburn
Never been too impressed w/Chonan. Taking Blackburn in the upset.

-Pat Barry vs. Dan Evensen
Devastating KO!

-Antoni Hardonk vs. Mike Wessel
TKO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,626 times
Mike -- glad you posted about this....

My curiosity was with the Mir vs Nogueira fight.... I really don't know much about them as fighters.... Nogueira was in Pride, right? which i never watched ...so i dont know much about him as a fighter. [though i think he's one of the good guys, personallity-wise]

Mir ... I do not care for... seems really arrogant ... And i do recall a few of his fights, then he was in that accident ... so it's been a while since i've really seen him in a fight... and yes, i saw the one with him and that WWE guy.... i was not impressed.

Anyhoo -- i'd love to see Mir get his hat handed to him.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:55 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Nogueira vs. Mir - I dont like Mir and dont think he's all the skilled anyway. Nogueira is actually very skilled in his art so I hope and expect him to win.

Griffin vs. Evans - Griffin is one tough s.o.b. but Evans has actual skill, so I hope and expet Evans to destroy him in much the same way he destroyed Liddel.

Jackson vs. Silva - I dont know why this fight was made other than UFC promoters hoping that Jackson loses so that they can get rid of him (because of his driving Rampage). Silva is washed up, I hope Jackson knocks him out then goes on the knockout the Griffin/Evans winner to reclaim his belt. UFC needs Jackson to be champion. He's charasmatic, outspoken without sounding stupid like a lot of other fighters, and is a big fan of TV news and tv talk shows.

Other:

Kongo - this is the French guy who will one day fight for a championship. He just had a bad day when he got ko'd in another fight. This guy is GOOOD!

Hamill - I like Hamil, he should be on the PPV part of the show. He should win and one day fight for a title.

Who cares about the rest of the nobodys fighting.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,894 times
I agree with Mir being arrogant. I don't like Mir, seems like an a$$hole. But I don't think Mir will get "embarrassed", but who knows. Minatauro was on his way to being embarrased IMO with Sylvia until he caught him in a choke.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Nogueira was in Pride, right?
Yeah, he ran through the entire HW division there, with exception of Fedor Emelianeko.

Quote:
which i never watched
'Tis a shame b/c PRIDE was great! Some terrific fights in that organization. The UFCs absolute best cards would be mediocre by PRIDE standards.

Quote:
...so i dont know much about him as a fighter.
Chin of granite; submissions galore, competent boxing, good strategies, etc.

Quote:
i saw the one with him [Mir] and that WWE guy.... i was not impressed.
Neither was I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez
Jackson vs. Silva - He's [Rampage] charasmatic, outspoken without sounding stupid ...
You think?

Quote:
Kongo - this is the French guy who will one day fight for a championship. He just had a bad day when he got ko'd in another fight. This guy is GOOOD!
The guy with essentially no ground game that got beat by Heath Herring?

Quote:
Who cares about the rest of the nobodys fighting.
Well, the middleweight number 1 contender (Okami) is fighting on the undercard. Granted, that fight will be a snoozer though.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

Anything Frank can do Minotauro can do better. This is going to be embarrasing on the Pac-Man/De la Hoya scale.
Oh the fail.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,264,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

that was embarrassing alright.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,355,773 times
Nog looked stiff. Lesnar seems prepared to battle Mir again, though. I hope he's progressed much since his fight with Couture.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
[b]
Griffin vs. Evans - Griffin is one tough s.o.b. but Evans has actual skill, so I hope and expet Evans to destroy him in much the same way he destroyed Liddel. Yep. Im very happy with the outcome of this one.

Jackson vs. Silva - I dont know why this fight was made other than UFC promoters hoping that Jackson loses so that they can get rid of him (because of his driving Rampage). Silva is washed up, I hope Jackson knocks him out then goes on the knockout the Griffin/Evans winner to reclaim his belt. Happy with the result of this one as well. I knew Ramage would KO him.

Other:

Kongo - this is the French guy who will one day fight for a championship. He just had a bad day when he got ko'd in another fight. This guy is GOOOD! I told you guy this Frenchman is GOOD. He just had a bit of a hiccup losing to the extremely overrated loser Herring. If you've got an powerful striking game then you can overcome the grapplers (just like Liddel and Rampage). This guy would destroy Mir and Lesner.
Other than the Mir vs. Nog fight, the night went pretty much as I expected.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I was 8-2 on predictions and won 4 units on fights I bet on. I bet a ton on Nog and somehow won it back on other fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)