Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,388 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife and I live in West Mobile (west of Schillinger) and we have two small children who will soon be starting pre-school. We have done some checking and it is likely that our kids will end up at either St. Paul's or St. Luke's schools. Our preference is to keep them in the chosen school until they finish high school.

We would both appreciate it if people could give us their impressions of both St. Paul's and St. Luke's.

We are interested in hearing anything that people care to relate about about their experiences at each school. Here are a few specific concerns -
1) How easy is it to get to both schools (from the west) when school is starting and ending?
2) Is social snobbery a major problem at the schools?
3) Are admissions difficult at either school?
4) Is there a heavy emphasis on sports at each school? We don't mind sports, but we don't want our kids to spend a ton of time on them, either.
5) How are the academics at each school? Of course, this is our biggest concern.

Well, I probably asked too many questions. Thanks in advance for anything that you'd care to share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM

275 posts, read 536,334 times
Hello,

I'll wade in here and share what I know. Our kids went to a very good Catholic elementary school and McGill-Toolen, so what I know is from friends and relatives.

St. Paul's is long-established and considered very "upscale" socially; there is definitely a snob factor going on. The academic standards are high, and the facility is good, though it didn't completely knock my socks off when I was there for a "college night" several years ago. It may be very difficult to get into, but I am unfamiliar with their requirements, waiting list, etc.

St. Luke's has been around a while, but doesn't have the same "cachet" as St. Paul's. I think their standards are high, based on what I have heard from relatives. Their high school is quite new and small, but they take great pride in it and place strong emphasis on academics. My daughter has spent some time there with a little niece and has been pretty impressed with the elementary school. The lower grades are located off Azalea while the high school is on University Blvd. in the old Julius T. Wright school building.

The school traffic around St. Paul's is hideous (Old Shell Rd.) and I avoid it like the plague. You can get to St. Luke's either via Cottage Hill or Hwy. 90; though traffic is bad everywhere when school is starting and letting out, you have more options with St.Luke's.

Wish I could help more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
View detailed profiles of: