Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Where is the other? Because Springdale is a strip mall. And the city could support another we have in the past.
Are we just going to blatantly forget about the history and demise of Springdale Mall?

Springdale failed to compete with Bel Air and Eastern Shores and ultimately had to be converted into a strip mall to survive. Consider also that Bel Air is struggling to compete with the newer, more "upscale" Eastern Shores Center, thus proving my point that there isn't enough commercial demand in the Mobile area to support another regional shopping mall, much less the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Are we just going to blatantly forget about the history and demise of Springdale Mall?

Springdale failed to compete with Bel Air and Eastern Shores and ultimately had to be converted into a strip mall to survive. Consider also that Bel Air is struggling to compete with the newer, more "upscale" Eastern Shores Center, thus proving my point that there isn't enough commercial demand in the Mobile area to support another regional shopping mall, much less the city itself.
Of course I have no idea of your location but you reveal that you know little about retail in Mobile.

Springdale is not a strip mall......it has been reconfigured into a big box center and is doing a good job in that role. The mall went through what many across the USA have; it endured severe recession and also the merger of department stores, or demise of same. Since there are only so many stores to go around the two malls had to refocus on a new mission statement. Both have done that well so far. Mobile's MSA was divided into two counties but all of those six hundred thousand people are still there and with the new jobs coming on line from the European companies most likely the counties will be officially rejoined. It is laughable that you should think Mobile cannot support two malls, and even more that you think somehow that Eastern Shore is more upscale. (that proves you know nothing about the retail here.)

So, I would say you seem to have nothing to offer, but instead I will just suggest if you insist then go back read the title and stay on topic.

Thanks for your interest in the Metropolitan Mobile retail environment.

raj

Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Of course I have no idea of your location but you reveal that you know little about retail in Mobile.

Springdale is not a strip mall......it has been reconfigured into a big box center and is doing a good job in that role. The mall went through what many across the USA have; it endured severe recession and also the merger of department stores, or demise of same. Since there are only so many stores to go around the two malls had to refocus on a new mission statement. Both have done that well so far. Mobile's MSA was divided into two counties but all of those six hundred thousand people are still there and with the new jobs coming on line from the European companies most likely the counties will be officially rejoined. It is laughable that you should think Mobile cannot support two malls, and even more that you think somehow that Eastern Shore is more upscale. (that proves you know nothing about the retail here.)

So, I would say you seem to have nothing to offer, but instead I will just suggest if you insist then go back read the title and stay on topic.

Thanks for your interest in the Metropolitan Mobile retail environment.

raj
I've lived in Mobile over 20 years and the other poster you are responding too is right on point about Springdale. Yes, Springdale used to be a regular indoor mall and had to convert in order to stay afloat. You admit that it had to to with the decline in malls across America. So why do you think we should build ANOTHER indoor mall when we could not support 2 to begin with?

At most we need to expand Bel-Air, and Easter Shore, but adding an entirely new complex with many of the same stores, some of which hardly survive where they are is not a good idea. Maybe when Mobile actually sees population growth from this Airbus deal will it be able to support duplicate stores.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post

Springdale is not a strip mall......it has been reconfigured into a big box center and is doing a good job in that role.
I'm sure Springdale is performing well in its new "retail park" format, but it failed while it was an indoor shopping mall. I like how you seem to want to ignore that little revelation.

Quote:
The mall went through what many across the USA have; it endured severe recession and also the merger of department stores, or demise of same.
What utter delusion.

Springdale was already languishing prior to the recession.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
To be honest Easternshore is struggling to keep tenants Not Bel Air .Bel Air is 98% leased the E - shore is about 60% The E shore looks better and more modern but it can't compete with Bel Air . And I think its safe to say that management is the fault of Springdale's decline and the E- shore's issues evolve around lease rates which is a management issue.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
To be honest Easternshore is struggling to keep tenants Not Bel Air .Bel Air is 98% leased the E - shore is about 60% The E shore looks better and more modern but it can't compete with Bel Air . And I think its safe to say that management is the fault of Springdale's decline and the E- shore's issues evolve around lease rates which is a management issue.
Abercrombie and Fitch left Bel-Air.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
Yeah they are the 2 % that left lol.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
They left a lot of centers. You don't get out much?

raj

Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I'm sure Springdale is performing well in its new "retail park" format, but it failed while it was an indoor shopping mall. I like how you seem to want to ignore that little revelation.

Nature's, why does that bother you. I ignore many revelations............

Nature's.

Since you post a South Carolina address and you post in all the cities you can in Alabama and other states, I have no way of knowing why you think you have a clue about what has gone on at Airport Blvd. for the past twenty years. Your response reveals you do not have a clear grasp on the time lines and that Springdale being the weaker of two large malls was more affected by all that happened. Springdale did not , in and of its own existence fail anymore than the many many others throughout the USA did. (many in the Carolinas in fact) And at least it did successfully re-invent itself into something productive. That is an intensely saturated commercial area after all.

raj

What utter delusion.

Springdale was already languishing prior to the recession.
Nature's

All that I have written above should re-direct your 'delusional comment' right back to you. Are you trolling or do you have some connection to Mobile other than attempting to write as if you do.

To be fair I will assume that the style of your posts throughout CITY-DATA just happen to be aggressive and inflammatory to the locals without that intention.

I will point out once more that I created the thread and therefore it is incumbent upon me to write those things that were my motivations. I however don't really understand your passion to debate about a mall that I might have been in once in my life . My focus on this thread is Bel Air. People can take that wherever they want but it would be nice to be less combative and argumentative.

Best to you,
raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 06-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Mobile over 20 years and the other poster you are responding too is right on point about Springdale. Yes, Springdale used to be a regular indoor mall and had to convert in order to stay afloat. You admit that it had to to with the decline in malls across America. So why do you think we should build ANOTHER indoor mall when we could not support 2 to begin with?

At most we need to expand Bel-Air, and Easter Shore, but adding an entirely new complex with many of the same stores, some of which hardly survive where they are is not a good idea. Maybe when Mobile actually sees population growth from this Airbus deal will it be able to support duplicate stores.

Thanks for your response. You may be misreading me. I never suggested building a new mall in Mobile. My threads title is directly about Bel Air and its potential to be even more than it was in the past. It has location and size and room to grow and the beginnings of a new economic era here.

I am simply pointing out to what appear to be trolls that this metro can easily support two regional malls and a lifestyle type center. Most cities with over a half million people do just that.

I do agree with a previous poster that the next regional center should be an outdoor style as having the diversity good and especially in the coastal area of the country where people who come to visit are prepared to spend more time out of doors.

I hope I clarified my intent for you.

Best to you,
raj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area