Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the Semmes/Saraland, AL area from Knoxville, TN. I am interested in information regarding schools, shopping, restaurants, and general opinions of the area. Schools are of a concern for elementary and middle school age. How is traffic into Mobile during rush hour? Looking for a safe environment for single mom with children. Satsuma could be a consideration or other towns in the general area. Any general or specific information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 07:33 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkaAnne View Post
I am thinking of relocating to the Semmes/Saraland, AL area from Knoxville, TN. I am interested in information regarding schools, shopping, restaurants, and general opinions of the area. Schools are of a concern for elementary and middle school age. How is traffic into Mobile during rush hour? Looking for a safe environment for single mom with children. Satsuma could be a consideration or other towns in the general area. Any general or specific information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
As for schools and shopping I would go with Saraland hands down plus Saraland has better access to the interstate. Mobile's interstate traffic can get heavy but there is hardly ever any back ups or bottlenecking unless you are traveling I-10 through downtown but I-65 run through Saraland. Mobile's city street level traffic is pretty heavy during rush our.Mobile is not a interstate/freeway commuting city so the city streets can be pretty heavy at times.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 AM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Considering commute and schools, Saraland beats Semmes in both categories.

Both are nice areas though.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,413 times
Default Mobile area

We looked at some houses in Chickasaw this week and then drove around the adjoining neighborhoods. We got the blight in Pritchard, but couldn't quite figure out Saraland and the near North side of Mobile. Any info on Chickasaw in particular would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Saraland has their own city run school system (broke away several years ago), whereas Semmes is part of the Mobile County school system.

No way I'd leave Knoxville for Mobile, but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyl&lee View Post
We looked at some houses in Chickasaw this week and then drove around the adjoining neighborhoods. We got the blight in Pritchard, but couldn't quite figure out Saraland and the near North side of Mobile. Any info on Chickasaw in particular would be appreciated.
Chickasaw has their own school sytem and is a quaint city. I would put Semmes over Chickasaw but Chickasaw has better access to the interstate.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 PM

688 posts, read 1,205,930 times
Chickasaw could stand to redevelop the section of town from 12th Avenue north to Chickasaw Shopping Center. Beyond that, Chickasaw is a charming bedroom community.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i live in semis, its nice, but saraland has semis beat hands down, like they say, closer to interstate, the rivers, about seven minutes from downtown. chickasaw is a older retirement community, it has history, but the last twenty years its been running down hill fast, Im sorry ghetto is sneaking up on its fast,

Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. What about Satsuma? How does it compare to Semmes and Saraland? I thought Chickasaw had a crime problem, more comparable to a larger city. Of course what I saw was based upon statistics from a website called , so who knows how they compile their data, etc. We love Knoxville but the winters are getting to be more problematic and we don't have the budget to take care of the snow and ice, etc. We love the beach and TN is land-locked! Semmes and Saraland seem to be very comparable to the town we live in ner Knoxville. And, who can resist Mardi Gras? Just trying to find a nice place with amenities, good schools, etc. and enjoy the southern hospitality. You have all been very helpful, thanks again for the input.

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area