Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 02:18 PM

261 posts, read 205,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Oh I see, personally I enjoyed the old version more, I liked how cliche it was

Also I had no idea there was plan for reconstruction of St Louis Street, Always wondered why they left the road in the condition it was with all the planned developments, but makes sense now
Yeah I thought they were just adding lights and improving the sidewalks and stuff around each new development, but they definitely need to fix the drainage in some areas as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 09:20 AM

5,012 posts, read 9,215,605 times
Another nice development on Dauphin Street.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1721029130

Old 07-07-2021, 09:51 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,236,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Another nice development on Dauphin Street.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1721029130

Awesome, glad to see the uptick in Downtown projects

Old 07-07-2021, 04:59 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,364,462 times
Was in downtown Mobile a couple of weeks ago. Some on this forum want to paint downtown Mobile as thriving. We saw vacant stores, boarded up stores, and people that looked homeless. Someone even said he takes his family down there. (This would not be near the top of my list for a family outing). Saw a few more restaurants/bars/breweries, but would certainly not say downtown Mobile is thriving. I sincerely hope downtown Mobile progresses and improves. It is my hometown - I was hoping to see what some on this forum have bragged about - unfortunately, I didn't find it.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,236,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Was in downtown Mobile a couple of weeks ago. Some on this forum want to paint downtown Mobile as thriving. We saw vacant stores, boarded up stores, and people that looked homeless. Someone even said he takes his family down there. (This would not be near the top of my list for a family outing). Saw a few more restaurants/bars/breweries, but would certainly not say downtown Mobile is thriving. I sincerely hope downtown Mobile progresses and improves. It is my hometown - I was hoping to see what some on this forum have bragged about - unfortunately, I didn't find it.
Very pessimistic I see. I don’t know when you went but every time I’ve gone downtown it’s been pretty busy, at times being comparable to the activity of the Strip in Tuscaloosa

Old 07-07-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Very pessimistic I see. I don’t know when you went but every time I’ve gone downtown it’s been pretty busy, at times being comparable to the activity of the Strip in Tuscaloosa
No, just looking at it realistically. Why are the some of the buildings on Government near the Bankhead Tunnel still vacant? Downtown Mobile still looks rundown. Really sad. Based on what some on this forum have said, I was hoping to see more progress.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Because it's the type of mindset you have. I take my family downtown all the time.We ride bikes and scooters just as you will see several other families do.

I've been to Birmingham,Dallas,Houston,Knoxville, and Nashville within the last 3 months. And none of them were without homeless or vacancies.And they all had several developments going on also.

What world do you live in where there aren't any homeless or vacancies in any city downtown ? No one is painting a false narrative. The restaurants, apartments, condos,breweries,grocery stores and etc. Are downtown and are under construction. If you think that downtown Mobile look like it did 20,15,10,5, or even 3 years ago. Then maybe it's you and you have the problem. New Orleans has arguably the most touristy and vibrant downtown in the southeast and they have vacancies and homelessness.

And compared to other cities the homeless downtown isn't even a fraction as it used to be or compared to other cities.

You see people out riding bikes and scooters with their families downtown, you see tourist groups participating in the food tours, you will see the homeless sitting in Cathedral Square minding their business, you will also see every restaurant full as well as the out door seating. The next block over you may see another homeless guy laying on the street taking a nap. But also the next block over you will have 3 breweries.One store front or two may be vacant but the 3 breweries are full and jumping and people having a good time .Also you will see a group of 10 adults and kids all on the Gotcha scooters zipping down the street. That's downtown Mobile !

You love negativity and you focus so much of your life on it. Did you notice how hard the guys that work with the downtown Mobile Alliance have done with the plants and street scape ?

Did you notice the how clean it is ?

Did you notice that even though there are vacancies just like any other downtown that there are far less vacancies then it was 5 or even 3 years ago ?

Did you notice that we have far more restaurants then we did since the last time you may have visited ?There are more now then it was even a year ago.

YOU have a problem its you.

I visited Huntsville and drove through downtown area ast year in February before the pandemic was a thing. Huntsville is the most thriving as far as developments than any city in Alabama.But I also saw vacancies and homelessness. I was more focused on what has changed since I last visited the city in 2013 and a lot has changed sense then. I wasn't focused on how many vacancies and homelessness I can find.

Last edited by PortCity; 07-07-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No, just looking at it realistically. Why are the some of the buildings on Government near the Bankhead Tunnel still vacant? Downtown Mobile still looks rundown. Really sad. Based on what some on this forum have said, I was hoping to see more progress.

Again focusing on negativity.It's a mindset problem.

I'm downtown almost everyday and there aren't any vacancies on government near the tunnel. And if it was then it is what is. The downtown portion of Government runs from Broad street to Water street and if that small section has vacancies between Broad and Water streets, then that's a good thing ! From Broad to Water Street come on now? But there aren't any vacancies near the tunnel actually those buildings are fully occupied.

Have you notice how much Royal street and St. LOUIS streets are far more occupied then they were 3 years ago ?

Have you notice the infrastructure improvements to Water street ? Have you notice the new apartments and condos on water street ? Did you notice how clean the streets were on that section of Govt that you claim is vacant ?

Last edited by PortCity; 07-07-2021 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Because it's the type of mindset you have. I take my family downtown all the time.We ride bikes and scooters just as you will see several other families do.

I'VE been to Birmingham,Dallas,Houston,Knoxville, and Nashville within the last 3 months. And none of them were without homeless or vacancies.And they all had several developments going on also.

What world do you live in where there aren't any homeless or vacancies in any city downtown ? No one is painting a false narrative. The restaurants, apartments, condos,breweries,grocery stores and etc. Are downtown and are under construction. If you think that downtown Mobile look like it did 20,15,10,5, or even 3 years ago. Then maybe its you and you have the problem. New Orleans has arguably the most touristy and vibrant downtown in the Southeast and they have vacancies and homelessness.

And compared to other cities the homeless downtown isn't even a fraction as it used to be or compared to other cities.

You see people out riding bikes and scooters with their families downtown, you see tourist groups participating in the food tours, you will see the homeless sitting in Cathedral Square minding their business, you will also see every restaurant full as well as the out door seating. The next block over you may see another homeless guy laying on the street taking a nap. But also the next block over you will have 3 breweries.One store front or two may be vacant but the 3 breweries are full and jumping and people having a good time .Also you will see a group of 10 adikts and kids all on the Gotcha scooter zipping done the street. That's downtown Mobile !

You love negativity and you focus so much of your life on it. Did you notice how hard they guys that work with downtown Mobile Alliance have done with plants and street scape ?

Did you notice the how clean it is ?

Did you notice that even though there are vacancies just like any other downtown that there are far less vacancies then it was 5 or even 3 years ago ?

Did you notice that we have far more restaurants then we did since the last time you may have visited there are more now then it was even a year ago ?

YOU have a problem its you.

I visited Huntsville and drove though downtown last year in February before the pandemic was a thing. Huntsville is the most thriving as far as developments than any city in Alabama.But I also saw vacancies and homelessness. I was more focused on what has changed since I last visited the city in 2013 and a lot has changed sense then then I how many vacancies and homelessness.
You are entitled to your opinion, but realize that others may have a different opinion than yours. I can assure you there are many in Mobile who see it the same as I do. Did you even read my post? I said I saw some new businesses. Are you even a native Mobilian? I imagine I lived in Mobile far longer than you have. And yes, there are other southern cities with a 'thriving' downtown (e.g., Greenville, SC - both Austin and Asheville are thriving as well, but they both have a homeless issue). Has downtown Mobile improved? Perhaps, but it still has a long way to go.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:10 PM

261 posts, read 205,705 times
Quote:
I honestly feel bad for you if you think that Mobile isn’t on the upward swing because homeless people exist and there are vacancies, both of which exist in every single city in this nation. Why don’t you go go art walk on Friday and tell me downtown is rundown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area