Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 12:32 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Because at the time the Orange Grove, Da Bottom, and Camp Ground Communitues were not loosing population nor gaining at that time .They are newish but older than you think. I'm 35 and they were built when I was in middle school.Prior to that both schools were located directly in the Orange Grove Housing projects. They were in horrible conditions as they were extremely old. So the community received new schools as they should have at the time. If my memory serve me correct they were in the same building and over crowded. But never less the original schools were dead smack in the housing projects.

And also when I was in high-school Williamson had a much larger student body I'm a graduate of Leflore. When I was in high school Leflore had 1800 students( 2004 graduate).At one time it was 2k in the 90s. Now it's like 700 students now. And Williamson high had around 900.

Both Calloway and Florence had relatively large student populations at the time.
Ah, I never knew they were over there. I wonder why they decided to buy so much land inside the loop of downtown. Were there plans to make the school bigger over time or something? Because the middle school has a massive amount of land with nothing on it. From what I’ve seen, Murphy has also had a loss of students, granted they were always huge to begin with. I graduated from McGill in 2016, but went to ER Dickson and Phillips before that. Phillips was so bad that my 7th grade science teacher quit mid year because she said the building had such a negative impact on her health. And at the time I had a sinus infection last a full year and had to be one of the youngest patients that my doctor had done this surgery on to get rid of the infection. I can’t say for certain that the school had an impact there, but my parents were so unhappy with how that situation was that I left after 7th grade, so I feel for the students of Dunbar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Yes that area is a dead zone from the festival center to the mall. Downtown, midtown, and West Mobile is were all of the developments are popping off at. I wouldn't call the Festival Center a mall but it has so much potential. It needs to be redeveloped to a life style centere. Keep Jo Ann's and Academy, add some more things and make Dirt Cheap leave.

These are examples that could work.

https://images.app.goo.gl/djQC5VmRze2wmaaK8

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZzPdV5AqwPqoRZT38

https://images.app.goo.gl/TNRnYVsPx3sejuEw8
I fully agree. That would be a massive upgrade to have anything like that. I wonder why we don’t get large scale massive projects that other cities have like Birmingham and Huntsville. Shoot even having that white water rafting thing they’re building in Montgomery would be nice

Old 07-25-2021, 06:02 AM

490 posts, read 464,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Ah, I never knew they were over there. I wonder why they decided to buy so much land inside the loop of downtown. Were there plans to make the school bigger over time or something? Because the middle school has a massive amount of land with nothing on it. From what I’ve seen, Murphy has also had a loss of students, granted they were always huge to begin with. I graduated from McGill in 2016, but went to ER Dickson and Phillips before that. Phillips was so bad that my 7th grade science teacher quit mid year because she said the building had such a negative impact on her health. And at the time I had a sinus infection last a full year and had to be one of the youngest patients that my doctor had done this surgery on to get rid of the infection. I can’t say for certain that the school had an impact there, but my parents were so unhappy with how that situation was that I left after 7th grade, so I feel for the students of Dunbar
Was that before or after the major renovations, demolitions, and rebuilding of Phillips?

Personally, I think a lot schools should be shut down and consolidated.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:29 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
I don't know why Calloway is on so much land but Azalea middle/Denton is too. I attended Dunbar and it was in good condition back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I fully agree. That would be a massive upgrade to have anything like that. I wonder why we don’t get large scale massive projects that other cities have like Birmingham and Huntsville. Shoot even having that white water rafting thing they’re building in Montgomery would be nice
We had at one time. You maybe to young to remember if you graduated in 2016. You probably was too young to understand what was going on. There was the construction of the RSA Battle House Tower, Cruise Terminal, large scale renovation of the Admiral, large scale renovation of the battle house hotel ,large scale renovation of the RSA Trust Mark building( moon pie building), Construction of the Hampton Inn on Royal, and construction of the Candle Wood suits on Royal, large scale renovations to the GM&O building , Large Scale renovations to the Van Antwerp building, and so many others like the Senior Bowl headquarter building renovations..That's a lot at one time tbh.We have a lot of developments going on now but compared to what I mentioned it seems small bu they aren't. I would say Mobile has seen a billion if not more in developments. And that's not counting what's going on now.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
We had at one time. You maybe to young to remember if you graduated in 2016. You probably was too young to understand what was going on. There was the construction of the RSA Battle House Tower, Cruise Terminal, large scale renovation of the Admiral, large scale renovation of the battle house hotel ,large scale renovation of the RSA Trust Mark building( moon pie building), Construction of the Hampton Inn on Royal, and construction of the Candle Wood suits on Royal, large scale renovations to the GM&O building , Large Scale renovations to the Van Antwerp building, and so many others like the Senior Bowl headquarter building renovations..That's a lot at one time tbh.We have a lot of developments going on now but compared to what I mentioned it seems small bu they aren't. I would say Mobile has seen a billion if not more in developments. And that's not counting what's going on now.
RSA built the state's tallest building in Mobile, and they have a decent building (I believe the largest in the city) in Montgomery. But they've built nothing in Huntsville or B'ham, other than golf. Never understood why.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
RSA built the state's tallest building in Mobile, and they have a decent building (I believe the largest in the city) in Montgomery. But they've built nothing in Huntsville or B'ham, other than golf. Never understood why.
Me neither for some reason. I think they have a resort in one of the Birmingham suburbs but that's it.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Me neither for some reason. I think they have a resort in one of the Birmingham suburbs but that's it.
You're probably thinking of Ross Bridge in Hoover. They have a Marriott resort hotel, and an overpriced golf course, along with some nice houses in the neighborhood, but that's about it.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Was that before or after the major renovations, demolitions, and rebuilding of Phillips?

Personally, I think a lot schools should be shut down and consolidated.
It was before they added that new part onto the front of it. I remember a huge difference in the original building compared to the new math building that was in the back. Did they redo a lot of the inside as well as that addition onto the front?

Old 07-25-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah it was kind of wild for me. I never caught on to a lot of this happening at the time it happened. I definitely remember the RSA being completed. My dad took me and my brothers into the battle house when it was renovated to show us the inside. When we were in high school we never came downtown for any reason other than Mardi Gras parades because I always thought downtown on dauphin street was nothing but bars. We always parked on St. Louis street and walked to bienville square for parades, but I had gone off to college for multiple years and didn’t go to any parades, and like 2 years ago my dad just took me driving downtown and I didn’t even recognize the street with the courthouse and multiple entire block renovations that happened. That’s what got me interested in the city, seeing that and meridian at the port, merchants bank building renovation, etc. It made me hopeful that we were turning the corner as a city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area