Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 AM

535 posts, read 1,296,020 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Austin, Texas but my 21 year old son resides in Mobile. This past Sunday night his car was stolen from out of the front of his apartment where he lives on off Downtowner Blvd. His car was locked.

My son has been living by himself in the same apt. for the past two years while working and going to college. He drives an older model "souped" up Honda Civic. It is white with a micro carbon(I think that's what it's called) black hood and it's pretty loud.

If anyone sees this car around town and the driver is not a young white male (although I'm pretty sure it's in the chop shop by now) please get the tag # and contact the Mobile Police Dept. - although in Mobile I'm sure the police are having bigger fish than stolen cars to fry.

Also, be aware that folks must be resorting to car theft in Mobile now. Back when I lived there I only had my car stereo stolen a few times.

Thanks for your open eyes and ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

123 posts, read 318,762 times
Sorry about your car. Layfette square apts. I presume.I'll be on the lookout.Actually , people around here are not very smart. Someone is probably still driving it around town or abandoned it.The nearest chop shop is in Montgomery so there is a good chance you may recover it.

Side question . WHY on earth would your son leave Austin to come here? You have lived in both cities and know first hand how backwards and poor this area is. Not being critical of you but I don't see why anyone with more than a H.S. education would consider moving here by choice.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM

Lol!!! No, my son has never lived in Austin...although he has visited many times. I lived in Mobile for over 40 years and moved TO Austin FROM Mobile 2 years ago. My son's car was stolen, not mine. The difference in the two cities is like night and day for sure.

You would have to rope tie and drag me back to Mobile.

When we moved to Austin my son opted to stay in Mobile because he was going to the Airframe and Power Plant School at Brookley. He just graduated from the school in Dec. 2009....I really hope that he will find a more desirable city to live in now that he is out of school.....

Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM

123 posts, read 318,762 times
I actually moved to Dallas in 2007 but (long story ,economy) had to move back.(temp ONLY)I WILL be moving to Austin when "things" turn around. Do you live near WEST Lake hills?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM

No, I live more North Austin...I have been through West Lake many times though.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,330 times
Sorry about that..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
I currently live in Austin, Texas but my 21 year old son resides in Mobile. This past Sunday night his car was stolen from out of the front of his apartment where he lives on off Downtowner Blvd. His car was locked.

My son has been living by himself in the same apt. for the past two years while working and going to college. He drives an older model "souped" up Honda Civic. It is white with a micro carbon(I think that's what it's called) black hood and it's pretty loud.

If anyone sees this car around town and the driver is not a young white male (although I'm pretty sure it's in the chop shop by now) please get the tag # and contact the Mobile Police Dept. - although in Mobile I'm sure the police are having bigger fish than stolen cars to fry.

Also, be aware that folks must be resorting to car theft in Mobile now. Back when I lived there I only had my car stereo stolen a few times.

Thanks for your open eyes and ears.
It is well know that those cars are going to be stolen no matter where you live, especially said since it has a carbon fiber hood and it is loud. This is not a problem with Mobile, it is a problem with what your son drives. Vegas has very high car theft rates, and your son's car would not have lasted over 3 days before being boosted here. However, I have never had a car stolen. Why, because I drive a normal car that does not attract the thieves.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 PM

I never said anything in my post about car theft being Mobile specific. Personally in all the years I lived in Mobile I had never heard of anyone having their whole car stolen. Only recently have I encountered a couple Mobilians that either have had theirs stolen or knew someone that has. I just figured it is a new Mobile "trend".

Theft does happen anywhere....just more in some places than in others. Thank goodness we all have the freedom to drive what we like though. I certainly would never let my fears of what someone may decide to take from me control what I wanted to drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area