Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 19,160 times

Advertisements

I am staring a move to Big Sky Country right in the face as I have an interview with BNSF in Glendive. My wife and I have always been interested in MT however from what I gather Glendive is prairie with the badlands across the Yellowstone River is that right in a nuttshell? We live in AR and are used to extreme summer months. A few questions I need some help on here: What are the schools like as we have 2 young children? Seriously how many FM radio stations come in? Can you get satellitte out there sounds dumb but really? On a scale of 1-10 compared to the most beautiful parts of ya'lls big state how does Glendive rank? What about entertainment/recreation? Are there "woods" out there or just open land? Lastly what does land go for out there?
Thank you.---Hogwild
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
You won't find mountains or woods but the area is very scenic, lots of badlands terrain with hoodoos and all.
Winters can be nasty.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM

24 posts, read 63,187 times
Glendive is typical eastern Montana. It straddles the Yellowstone river and the surrounding area is mostly prairie and badlands, not much for "woods" except along the riverbottoms where it is primarily cottonwoods and a few areas in the badlands where you can find a few pines and cedars, Makoshika Park being one of these spots.

Schools- one high school, two elementary schools, and a small community college.

There are 2 local AM radio stations, one of which is religious. 1 local FM station, and a small local TV station. There is also a low power NPR FM rebroadcast station and a low power religious FM rebroadcast station. Some FM stations from surrounding communities can also be received there with varying degrees of success.

Satellite, yes you can get satellite pretty much anywhere and direct broadcast satellite service to the home is quite popular out here especially for the rural people. The towns also have cable tv service available.

Recreation and entertainment around here are probably limited by your standards. People out here learn to make there own entertainment. Lots of folks are outdoorsy and hunting and fishing are popular pastimes. There is 1 functioning movie theatre left in Glendive, a bowling alley, a museum, a golf course, some bars. School sports get a lot of people going. There is quite a bit of snow this winter, so snowmobiling is kind of "in" at present. The surrounding communities are similar. If you want more opportunities for different recreation, skiing, and so forth, expect to travel to Billings or further.

Beauty? Hmmmm.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm prejudiced since I grew up here.

I can't help you much with land prices. I do know that they have gone up from what they used to be.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
I agree, land has really gone up from five years ago. One good thing about Glendive is it is accessible. You are as close to ND as you are to Billings

Old 01-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you sspikaroo & Mt-7, for the insight...I'm really trying to learn as much as possible as I have an interview with the RR there next Thurs. Anyone else with anymore information would be greatly appreciated by me and my family...What kind of hunting opportunities exist there I'm assuming antelope, mule deer, pheasants??? If so is there any public land for a Arkansas boy? Thanks please keep this hillbilly well informed any and all replies welcome!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM

go to plan hunts, good information, you might be in section 7
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hunting

you need to live a year here to avoid the out of state fee.
great upland bird hunting.

Check this
Fort Peck Lake Reservoir and Recreation Area

Welcome and stop by the let's visit thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM

24 posts, read 63,187 times
Yep, decent hunting. Around the local area, mule deer, whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, pheasants, sharptail grouse, hungarian partridge, wild turkeys. Go further to the west and you've got your elk, black bear, moose, mountain goats, big horn sheep, etc. etc. Some licenses are just bought over the counter on demand, others have to be drawn for in advance.

There is quite a bit of BLM land in eastern MT for public hunting access. Best thing is to purchase BLM maps for the area of interest. There is a BLM office in Miles City that has a lot of maps for sale.

If you're a fisherman, folks fish the rivers and local stock dams that have been stocked with fish. Also, Fort Peck Dam and reservoir are not that far away. A large lake with plenty of fishing and other recreational opportunities.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks so much sspikaroo & Mt-7...anyone else out there with any information on Glendive?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM

*How would you rate on a scale of 1-10 the schools around Glendive? Is school dismissed as it is here for a couple inches of snow?

*What about power outages with the inclement weather?

*What national chain restuarants are there besides a Pizza Hut?

*How about housing what kind of money?... I know thats broad I'm talking rentals for a while at first if we commit then of course a home preferably in country 3- 4 BR on a few acres any idea?

*Last question what about utilities I'm assuming their high...I pay about $150/mth on electric and $60/mth on water here in AR...

Just needing some answers here...thanks Montana.

Last edited by Hogwild2180; 01-16-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM

I know up here kids are dismissed according to how far they travel on the bus, everyone has to have a storm home, a person in town who would take them in if the weather was bad. The school should help you with that. As far as restaurants, I think from my travels there I do not remember anything other than local haunts.
Hope someone else comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana