Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Ah-ha, so you are a realtor or you wouldn't have access to the non-public side of the MLS.

As I suspected, you are a little more than just someone trying to be helpful to people wanting to move here.
Ah well, a little education is in order I see. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not in the realestate business period. After many conversations with the MLS people as to why I couldn't see my listing on the MLS site I was informed that it was the "public" side as was only there as a "convenience". The realtor side (so they said) is accurate. I then found out that you can access the realtor side from the search engines on realtor's web sites or from the house sites on the 'net (I won't mention them in deference to citydata) so now the secret is out. And yes, I will admit that I am guilty of the sin of trying to be helpful to people since that is what citydata is supposed to be for.
Quote:
As far as wages go, I would stand by my statement that the gap between wages and affordable real estate in Montana's "popular" areas is huge.
I guess it depends on one's idea of affordable real estate. If you mean the 2000+ sqft house on anything larger than a city lot then you are correct.

You make it sound like all it takes to live in this economy is hard work. That is not true. There are plenty of people here who have worked hard all their lives with little to show for it. I am offended by you and others that have attacked me personally suggesting that the reason I can't afford a home in Montana is that I obviously haven't worked hard enough or didn't get an education to get a better job. Well, I can tell you I've both worked hard at two or three jobs at a time and have a higher education and it still didn't matter. I am tired of people like you saying they worked hard to get what they have when they just came in here at the right time, with money, much more than the locals had and bought up property. Oh, like that is hard work. You and others like you just got lucky. You bought property in California and your investment grew exponentially, then you moved to a Montana to take advantage of our depressed economy and lower real estate prices. Here you could start the process over. Shrewd business coupled with luck and good timing perhaps but not hard work. I knew you wouldn't understand economic equity, social responsibility or good citizenship. You want to sell Montana regardless of the consequences to the environment, culture and economics of the state and that is the type of person we don't need here.
[quote]
Unfortunate as it is sometimes one has to leave where they are and go make a living in another place to be able to return "home" and get what they want. This has happened throughout the ages, people leaving areas where nature or circumstances rendered the area unable to support them only to settle someplace else and thrive as seen in the dust bowl days.
I speak from experience, I worked at a job at least 14 hours a day and at least 6 days a week with calls at all hours of the night, holidays,birthdays etc. I then was asked to transfer to the south and leave my lifelong home. I wanted to succeed at the company and move up while keeping an eye on the future so I did it. I didn't HAVE to, I could have stayed just where I was and maybe still had a safe little job but I wanted to make more money,increase my education and become worth more to the company. So I packed up my family, moved 3000 miles from home, took on a job that was a 7/24 position and worked my butt off. Did I sacrafice? Yes. Did I make out ok in the end? Well, I guess since I'm still ok now.
So in the end was it luck? I would say some of it but I was willing to give up my way of life and my time and take a risk for the future. Is anyone else willing to take that risk or just complain about how unfair it is?

Quote:
It is funny how some of you just think I should accept the cancer-like development that is destroying Montana when none of you accepted it when your areas changed, or you wouldn't have moved here.
I have tried not to attack anyone, just present ideas and if those ideas sometimes aggrivate then I apologize. One of the things I found after being transfered is that if I don't like an area I am free to move anytime, no complaints, just off to new scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 202,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Ah-ha, so you are a realtor or you wouldn't have access to the non-public side of the MLS.
There is no shortage of realtors on the City-Data forums.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM

68 posts, read 240,210 times
I am just wondering why everyone has ignored the original question. So... you all complain about your housing get out of hand. i too hate it. But some folk on this forum seem to blame it on cali buyers.

Like I first off asked, if you were offered 100k more for your house then you wanted... would you take it?

If so, then you too are part of the promblemo...

Old 08-03-2007, 06:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGoodPerson View Post
Like I first off asked, if you were offered 100k more for your house then you wanted... would you take it?

Let me try spinning this for a second. Lets assume that every seller refused to take $100k more than their current asking price from a buyer. What's going to happen next? I believe that the prospective buyer will assume that $100k over list is not enough to buy a house, so the buyer goes back and RAISES his offer to the buyers. What's your take on this?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM
AKS

10 posts, read 33,055 times
Lets all just go fishing

Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM

47 posts, read 202,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGoodPerson View Post
I am just wondering why everyone has ignored the original question. So... you all complain about your housing get out of hand. i too hate it. But some folk on this forum seem to blame it on cali buyers.

Of course I would take it, I don't live in a fantasy world. I am going to do what is best for myself and my family.

Last edited by jcbmontana; 08-03-2007 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM

This is an argument that has no end, of course everyone would take the money puhlease! Trying to make someone the problem by accepting something stuck in their faces is unfair and completely inane. You can't fault people for taking and offer that a realtor presents now can you?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS View Post
Lets all just go fishing
That's the most compelling argument I've seen in this entire thread!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM

absolutely!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:43 PM

68 posts, read 240,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Let me try spinning this for a second. Lets assume that every seller refused to take $100k more than their current asking price from a buyer. What's going to happen next? I believe that the prospective buyer will assume that $100k over list is not enough to buy a house, so the buyer goes back and RAISES his offer to the buyers. What's your take on this?
i forgot to look at this forum for a while. to answer this questions. the buyers wouldnt have to offer more if the sellers stopped taking it. it would have stopped and slowed down the home price increase that we all saw as a bubble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana