Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 21,152 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Billings from Fargo, North Dakota and I have to say: I love Billings. Billings and Fargo are very similar in size. Fargo has a slightly larger total metropolitan population, but the cities themselves, have a difference of about 1,000 people.

Fargo receives quite a bit of praise nationally for being an excellent location for business, to raise a family and so forth. Having lived in both cities, I find it hard to see why Billings does not receive more attention for its great attributes.

Billings is a city with character. When I'm in Billings, I know it's a rancher town and very "Montana." That is exactly what I love about it. I can't tell you how nice the people are here compared to people in Fargo. Fargoans would love nothing more than to secede from North Dakota and become a part of the Twin Cities, and it shows in their general attitude towards the rest of North Dakota. Everyone in Billings that I've come across has just had the nicest attitude. From my college professors to the man running the drive-thru at KFC, nothing but polite and positive people.

Fargo is very cookie-cutter. There are very limited local restaurants and such. Everything in Fargo is some sort of national chain. Billings has some great shops downtown and many local eateries that can't be found anywhere else. Some parts of the city aren't nearly as pretty to look at as places in Fargo because they are older and have not been as well cared for. However, Billings has something Fargo can never have: natural scenery. Fargo can build as many brand new restaurants, hotels and so forth that look beautiful. Fargo can't build the rims so that I have something to look at while driving home each day. And don't even get me started on weather. I think everyone knows who wins that battle.

My question is, how can we improve Billings and its image? North Dakota and Montana have many similarities, but there are definitely things about North Dakota that I miss. So what are some things long-time residents would like to see in Billings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 AM

158 posts, read 1,084,751 times
That's good to hear. I lived in Fargo. Loved it. I'm probably moving to Billings soon. I've heard from people about western attitude. I ask them what's that? They said you'll know when you see it. I understand what you say about Fargo, totally agree with you on all points. Fargo is very nice, love the old parts of town, well taken care of. People are a little snooty, competing with the Jones's feel. Really the only things I didnt like about Fargo was the flooding, wind, and lack of topography.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latesleeper7 View Post
I recently moved to Billings from Fargo, North Dakota and I have to say: I love Billings. Billings and Fargo are very similar in size. Fargo has a slightly larger total metropolitan population, but the cities themselves, have a difference of about 1,000 people.

Fargo receives quite a bit of praise nationally for being an excellent location for business, to raise a family and so forth. Having lived in both cities, I find it hard to see why Billings does not receive more attention for its great attributes.

Billings is a city with character. When I'm in Billings, I know it's a rancher town and very "Montana." That is exactly what I love about it. I can't tell you how nice the people are here compared to people in Fargo. Fargoans would love nothing more than to secede from North Dakota and become a part of the Twin Cities, and it shows in their general attitude towards the rest of North Dakota. Everyone in Billings that I've come across has just had the nicest attitude. From my college professors to the man running the drive-thru at KFC, nothing but polite and positive people.

Fargo is very cookie-cutter. There are very limited local restaurants and such. Everything in Fargo is some sort of national chain. Billings has some great shops downtown and many local eateries that can't be found anywhere else. Some parts of the city aren't nearly as pretty to look at as places in Fargo because they are older and have not been as well cared for. However, Billings has something Fargo can never have: natural scenery. Fargo can build as many brand new restaurants, hotels and so forth that look beautiful. Fargo can't build the rims so that I have something to look at while driving home each day. And don't even get me started on weather. I think everyone knows who wins that battle.

My question is, how can we improve Billings and its image? North Dakota and Montana have many similarities, but there are definitely things about North Dakota that I miss. So what are some things long-time residents would like to see in Billings?
And why would you want to change anything?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Well, from an outsider, I've noticed many things that Billings could use. I'm curious as to what residents who have lived here for 10+ years would like to see happen in Billings. I think the plans for a new pool and dog park in the heights are great starts. I wish the city hadn't decided to renovate the Rimrock Auto Arena. The city could really use a first-class arena to draw better acts to Billings. We do have the largest market for concerts and events, after all.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 AM

213 posts, read 697,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latesleeper7 View Post
I wish the city hadn't decided to renovate the Rimrock Auto Arena. The city could really use a first-class arena to draw better acts to Billings. We do have the largest market for concerts and events, after all.
Elton John is playing the Auto Arena on April 10. It doesn't get much better than that!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
The one thing about major change is that once done, and determined that it's not as good as people thought, it's hard to be undone.

I'm sure everything was weighed in whether to rebuild and renovate or to just build an entirely new facility.

I've never heard of it being sold out (could have been, but haven't heard of it).

Most folks in Montana are very conservative when it comes to growth. They build bigger because it's needed. They don't build bigger because it mght.

A lot of folks move to Montana because they like the way it is. They move to get away from big city ideas, activities and such. They don't move there to bring it with them. If that's the case, they'd just as well of stayed home.

Thnigs like a dog park, a hiking trail, horse path, playground for kids, etc... is most often accepted with no problems. It's the big ticket items that they drag their feet on.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
I lived in Billings for 2+ years and I really enjoyed it. There were not very many things about it I would change. I did find it regrettable though how the city has not embraced the wonderful Yellowstone River.

Maybe because it is on the "wrong side of the tracks" but I always wished I could head on down to the River, sit at a nice patio/ restaurant, sip a cool one and enjoy watching the River roll by.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,853 times
We spent a year and a half in business over in Billings, and I thought the exact same thing. They have really improved their downtown, have several summer activities that are well thought out and a lot of fun (especially the jazzfest), and have some great parks and walking areas. The rims/river on the south seems like a logical scenic area, but not much there. Could be land ownership is an issue.

We didn't fit in very well there, and finally scrammed back to the western part of the state. Nothing against Billings, but it wasn't a good fit.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I lived in Billings for 2+ years and I really enjoyed it. There were not very many things about it I would change. I did find it regrettable though how the city has not embraced the wonderful Yellowstone River.

Maybe because it is on the "wrong side of the tracks" but I always wished I could head on down to the River, sit at a nice patio/ restaurant, sip a cool one and enjoy watching the River roll by.
I would definitely agree with this. I think Billings could benefit a great deal if more was done to incorporate the Yellowstone River into the life of Billings. I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I've driven down South Billings Blvd to that park along the Yellowstone, not even sure of what the name of the park is. I was less than impressed, however. I know there are trails along the river near that park, but if I remember right, the trail is eroding away into the river.

I couldn't ever really see restaurants or that sort of thing going up around the river, it just doesn't seem to fit there. But, I think Billings should definitely improve the park that's located down there and also the paths. The river bottoms are beautiful, they just need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana