Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times

Advertisements

Okay Montana residents, where do you think is the boundary between Eastern and Western Montana? And do you think Southwest Montana is a distinctive region?

I think Western Montana is the area west of the Divide, although Butte seems to be more like Southwest Montana than Western Montana. Eastern Montana is the area east of I-15. Southwest Montana is the area from Columbus to Butte and south to Dillon and the "chin" of Montana.

Western Montana is the more mountainous region and Missoula is the major hub. Western Montanans seem more "Western."

Eastern Montana is the plains region which has Billings as its major hub. This areas seems more "Midwestern."

Southwest Montana is more mountainous and is the area included in and near the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. This one seems to be a blend of Midwestern and Western in terms of the people.

So where do all of you Montanans consider the boundaries to be and do you think Southwest Montana is a distinctive region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Oh gawd, not again. hahahaha

This has been discussed and cussed a few times and every time it's different. hahaha

You need some definitions, other than those you supplied.

You said that Western Montana seems more Western. Are you talking direction, or the way people act, work and conduct themselves?

You said that This one seems to be a blend of Midwestern and Western in terms of the people. You do know that the Midwest is Illinoise, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. Are you talking the way those folks conduct themselves with the way they act and work?

I'm not being facicious here, I just wanted your definitions a little more defined because last time, halfway through the discussion, the person changed the definitions and it ticked everybody off. hahahaha

By the way, Southern Montana is not Sourthern. I've been there and nobody said Y'all.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-02-2012 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Oh gawd, not again. hahahaha

This has been discussed and cussed a few times and every time it's different. hahaha

You need some definitions, other than those you supplied.

You said that Western Montana seems more Western. Are you talking direction, or the way people act, work and conduct themselves?

You said that This one seems to be a blend of Midwestern and Western in terms of the people. You do know that the Midwest is Illinoise, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, etc. Are you talking the way those folks conduct themselves with the way they act and work?

I'm not being facicious here, I just wanted your definitions a little more defined because last time, halfway through the discussion, the person changed the definitions and it ticked everybody off. hahahaha

By the way, Southern Montana is not Sourthern. I've been there and nobody said Y'all.
By western and Midwestern (I was born in Iowa so am fully aware of the Midwest's location) I mean the way the people conduct themselves. Of course western Montana is a more western direction. I also assume you're joking with the Southern Montana comment since I said Southwest Montana.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
By western and Midwestern (I was born in Iowa so am fully aware of the Midwest's location) I mean the way the people conduct themselves. Of course western Montana is a more western direction. I also assume you're joking with the Southern Montana comment since I said Southwest Montana.
Yes, the Southern Montana statement was tongue in cheek.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,715 times
I lived in Helena for fourteen years and it sits eleven miles east of the divide.
You tell someone from Helena their in the central or eastern part of the state you'll be risking life and limb. LOL!!

I always call Montana West central because it's not quite southern enough to be in the southwest part of the state being 61 miles north of Butte but is still 90 miles south of Great Falls.

The vacation guides issued by the state lump it into the southwest section but it's right on the northern edge of that boundary in the guide.

Just my two cents for ya!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Well, let's see...
I grew up in Northwestern Montana.
I now live in South Central Montana.
Seems to me there are more remnants of the "Old West" (cattle ranches, cowboys, etc.) in Eastern Montana than there are in Western Montana.
Western Montana was mostly mining and lumber. WAS, that is. I sometimes wonder how long they can continue selling food and clothing to each other, now that the timber industry is practically dead, and mining is nearly extinct.
Personally, I think I-15 makes a fair dividing line between East and West.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, let's see...
I grew up in Northwestern Montana.
I now live in South Central Montana.
Seems to me there are more remnants of the "Old West" (cattle ranches, cowboys, etc.) in Eastern Montana than there are in Western Montana.
Western Montana was mostly mining and lumber. WAS, that is. I sometimes wonder how long they can continue selling food and clothing to each other, now that the timber industry is practically dead, and mining is nearly extinct.
Personally, I think I-15 makes a fair dividing line between East and West.
As long as there are trust fund babies and tourists passing through they can sell food and clothing for a long time.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,003,307 times
Western Montana does not mean tv "Westerns" LOL.

I've lived here all my life. My 2 cents worth is based on the fact that my family on my mom's side homesteaded in Eastern Montana, Musselshell county. My dad worked all his life for the Great Northern Railway.
Our definition was more on the lines of topography. Eastern Montana is mostly the plains with rimrocks and breaks. Western Montana is mostly mountain ranges and has more forests than eastern Montana. As you go west on I-90 you see the landscape change as you approach Livingston, seeing mountain peaks. You know you are in Western Montana, the part with the Rocky Mountains.

... And yes, there are lots of opinions on this, if you search the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana