Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 24,680 times

Advertisements

I'm making the move from Alaska to Montana next month for a job opportunity in Helena. I was wondering if there is any comparison between Alaska and Montana? Hunting? Fishing? Gun laws? Pros and Cons of moving from Alaska to Montana? Etc....
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
I'm an Alaskan recently moved from Alaska to Montana. I find our Carhartts & elmer fudd hats fit right in LOL So the dress code or lack thereof is similar.

I also find that the locals love that we are from Alaska (better Alaska than Cal I guess LOL)

After hiking & backpacking around Alaska's bears it's interesting to learn about Montana's grizzlies. Of course, Alaska's grizzly bears (which Alaskans call brown bears) are different as to locale: the Russian River bears have quite different behavioral characteristics than Denali's bears, for example. So now it's time to learn to hike around a new grizzly.

I went to a presentation on the Montana ecosystems and saw many familiar alaskan flora & fauna.

Rent & gas is sure cheaper here. The Montanans I've met are friendly, helpful, resourceful & non-pretentious like Alaskans.

We miss our salmon runs.

Best of luck with your move!

Last edited by bongo; 04-04-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 24,680 times
Default thanks

THank you Bongo ! Good info. Do you believe it was a "good" move? Or are you missing Alaska? I'm already missing Alaska just thinking about the move, but, I do have to follow the line of work I am in. Sounds like a great job, just have to be employed
Thanks again,
Skydiver

Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times
Montana is a wonderful adventure that we are enjoying. The skiing, both downhill & groomed nordic trails, has been great.

I do miss being able to backpack alone in Denali & don't know if I will be able to translate that to Montana.

My husband likes not having cold hands/feet skiing like in Alaska. Plus, the sun shines here!

However, Montana is a big state, so it depends where one is going. And Alaska is a huge state, so it depends where one is coming from!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver99654 View Post
I'm making the move from Alaska to Montana next month for a job opportunity in Helena. I was wondering if there is any comparison between Alaska and Montana? Hunting? Fishing? Gun laws? Pros and Cons of moving from Alaska to Montana? Etc....
Thanks
I have not lived in AK.........however I have spent considerable time up their during the months of May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct & November. Many busines trips to various mining operations and 9 Hunting & Fishing Trips.

I confined my hunting & fish specie to those not availabe to me here in Montana........thus I was lucky enough to harvest: Sitka Deer; Woodland & Mountain Caribou; Alaska Moose; Kodiak Brown Bear and Timber Wolf (the wolf being taken just over the line into N/W BC) Also enjoyed the hunting & eating for Ptarmigan. Kings, Silvers, Ling Cod & Halibut were my choices for Ak fishing.

You & and your husband will have opportunities for: WT Deer; Mule Deer; Elk; Antelope........... 'Montana Moose, Rky Mt Sheep & Goats' (by drawing only). Your bird hunting choices are quite varied: pheasant; various specie of Grouse; dove; Huns & pretty good duck & goose hunting. Fishing includes various specie of Trout; some grayling if you know where to go; walleye, N Pike, bass (2); Lake Trout (as opposed to the trout from streams & rivers); Coho; paddle fish, sturgeon, cat fish & various "pan-fish".

There are some folks on here from the Helena area that can give you some tips: MTSilverTip for sure (a native); & a recent transplant from WV =ThreeRun. He's seems to have gathered quite a bit of (outdoor) info ;;hiking, back packin etc, since his move.

Good Luck.......I think you'll like MT........(even with-out the Salmon).

EDIT::...Rereading some of the earlier post, I apologize for the assumption you were a woman & married. Sorry............still, all that I offered still applys.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 04-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Edit: Make correction regarding the gender & martial status.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,576,453 times
I addressed a few of your questions in your other thread, but if you have other questions or specific questions, I will do what I can.

I haven't been to Alaska, (always wanted to go, but things haven't worked out that way ) but my Brother's in-laws live in Fairbanks, so I have some practical knowledge from them that Montana is probably the closest thing to Alaska in the lower 48.

We are dryer here than a lot of Alaska, but if instead of going North/South in Alaska think East/West in Montana, but the diversity of wildlife is still good, if somewhat different species, and the hunting opportunities are very good, but get used to hunting elk instead Moose (drawing here for moose) and Mule deer instead of caribou, (although Pronghorn Antelope may be a better comparison for traveling animals,), whitetail instead of blacktail .
2 of my cousins spend a lot of time in Alaska hunting and fishing and say the Alaskan fishing is much better, but for the lower 48 we are as good or better than anyone.

You are specifically relocating to Helena, so you will be in a rain shadow and the Helena Valley is pretty dry, but if you cross McDonald Pass you will be in an area you will feel very comfortable in as west of the divide gets a lot more moisture.

You will still have the open feeling, and space to go and do what you want here. The laws aren't that dissimilar, I think it will be a pretty easy transition for you.

Good Luck

Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
Im very curious about responses to this thread.im a female Texan avid hunter fisherwoman and want to move to Alaska but realistically its very expensive and im concerned with seasonal affective disorder during dark winters. I have been in Montana in January and it was pleasant and sunny. I can transfer with my job anywhere..fed govt. helena has some good opportunities.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 AM

233 posts, read 543,567 times
The seasonal effects of Alaska sealed the deal for us to establish roots in Montana. We looked very hard at AK and various areas of the state. We can vacation in AK, but Montana offers the best of all worlds in my opinion concerning fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, and down to earth folks.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana