Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 9,228 times

Advertisements

First and foremost,
I've read a bit here on these forums and I've seen some of the animosity towards city slickers moving out towards your neck of the woods in search of greener pastures. The difference between them and myself is that I've actually spent some time in the sticks.

I have 5 years in Chicago where I had to jump out of my window to salt and shovel the snow from my door so I can bring even more tools out to clear the snow from my car and try to get the engine to turn. I know how wind can make a below 20 day feel like 60 below.

I've lived in Kentucky where the only thing to do was Sally next door, ha ha ha, sorry I'll keep it PG I couldn't resist the joke. I've also lived in Southern Illinois near Marion, IL area and in Missouri. On a more serious note though, I'm sick of the city out here. I need to get back to country life and I'm thinking Montana, simply because of the "Oil Boom" and the field of work that I'm trying to get into.

I'm trying to get my foot into the door of the Oil and Gas industry so I can get some experience under my belt and to fund my education into 'Pipe Welding' and other skilled trades. I've been trying to get into the Refinery Industry here in California but with my lack of experience I cannot beat these guys out of a job. I'm thinking since there are so many City fellas up North, maybe I can get up there and beat them out of a job during the Winter when they all tuck tail and run.

My aim is to go out during the summer and land a job to cover my expenses while I'm searching for an Oil Job out there. I'll work anything just to cover my expenses and hopefully land a room until I can wait these City guys out until winter arrives when they leave.

My question is what towns out east in Montana would be a good start in terms of Jobs in the Oil and Gas industry and jobs that service the Oil and Gas industry workers (i.e. food/entertainment/services/gas stops/w.e). Also where would be a good start for say housing that is affordable or even at least available. Just looking for some locals to maybe point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I think Sidney might be a good place to look. That sits right on the border with North Dakota which might be an even better bet since that is where most of the boom is going on in towns like Williston. I'm not sure if the boom has reached into Miles City or Glendive but if it has those are some nice little towns. You also might consider Wyoming. Here is a link that might be helpful for you:
Careers - Halliburton

Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I think Sidney might be a good place to look. That sits right on the border with North Dakota which might be an even better bet since that is where most of the boom is going on in towns like Williston. I'm not sure if the boom has reached into Miles City or Glendive but if it has those are some nice little towns. You also might consider Wyoming. Here is a link that might be helpful for you:
Careers - Halliburton

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Information from people that actually live in the area is beyond valuable. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
I'm up in the hills in Montana but have more than five family members living in Montana and working in the oilfields. I'm also connected with the oilfields through my work. You might be in for a shock if you are planning on just showing up to the fields. Last year a greenhorn could expect to show up and sit at the door of drilling companies and get a job but that is no longer the case. In fact, there was an article in one of the Montana newspapers telling those who had no drilling/oil rig experience to not come, only qualified applicants were being considered.
As far as the "city" folk heading home after the first winter....I happen to know of a group of six Polynesian's who were able to secure clean up jobs last year. These guys are from Vegas and in no way shape or form like the cold. But for the amount of money they are making, they are more than happy to stick it out. This last winter was tough but they are still there and have no plans on going anywhere else. What is making people stay regardless of the weather is the money. I have talked with the execs of a drilling company who have test drills in central Montana. He stated that he would hire a qualified Montanan before an out of stater due to the fact that they already live here and are "rooted" and they are already acclimated to the weather. Makes sense as those of us already here are going to work in order to "stay" here.
Good luck in your venture but I caution you to not come from a different state and have the "I'm tougher than you" attitude. Some of those rig men don't tolerate that.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Montana has one of the highest percentage of veterans of any state. I can tell you right now...an unemployed veteran has a better chance than you do. Folks in Montana are tight...skilled workers..relatives will get hired on first, then veterans. Don't come here if you don't have a job offer...it is not any easier to find a job here than in California.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
You'll also need to be qualified in 6G position for the oilfield for at least 1 method. I would not show up and apply for a welding job in the oil industry unless you can pass that weld or have the combined 4G certificate. Montana and ND aren't really open anymore to people without experience as those who have experience are already there and more are coming now that the Marcellous is largely shut in due to natural gas prices being so low. You might want to try the Eagle Ford play south of San Antonio instead. Even then, welders have to have a good rep and be able to qualify for the position. Learn as you go really doesn't pass in the field. Maybe a pipe welding shop is a better fit for you.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
There are a couple of things working against you.

1) Oil companies were given ratio's to hire. xx% of experienced, xx% of non experienced. They used up their quota of non experienced and now are looking for experienced only. They display that by saying, non experienced is fine but must have a Bachelors degree in something. With that, they'll put you on the list. The list is used to put you in a position where they can possibly use your degree to their advantage at some point.

2) Housing. 7,000 people flocked to the Baken when there was approximately 1000 rentals/houses available. They found that people were hiring on and had no address. They were using that job as a stepping stone for a better job, or, using the job because they heard that housing was available, but $2000 a month rent. They found that rent was $2000 a month, but nothing was available and when the cold hit, they took off for home. Thus ruining it for a lot of other folks. As such, they won't hand you an application unless you can show them proof of a local address. Walmarts parking lot is not a valid address anymore.

Now, having said that, does it mean that you are completely out of luck? No. The compaines that supply trade or goods to the big oil compaines don't have the same restrictions. It also means that Joe Smuckatella quit last week and they have one opening for a non experienced person. So the field is not completely closed for you.

If you have an address locally. If you have reliable transportation. If you have the ability to wait a while for them to call you. You might get a chance to go to work.

Williston, city, is putting in a 700 unit RV park that will be available not too long from now. Rent is $700 a month for a RV space. Williams County is putting in a RV park of 200 units. Again, the rent is steep. But those are in Williston or that area of North Dakota. The Montana side is not far behind them. Right now they are full, but so far, they have done nothing to take care of the problem, so finding a place to live is difficult to impossible.

There are a lot of jobs (service industry) available. But again, where would you live? Night stocker at Wally World will start you tomorrow. But for what they are paying, you won't find a place to live. A recent article from Willistons Town Council meeting to ban RV's in town, had a restaurant owner stand up and say that 75% of her staff was living in RV's in her parking lot. If they had to move out, the restaurant would close.

You are just a little behind the power curve on getting into the patch. But if things fell into place perfectly, you might. But, as the saying goes, "The world is not perfect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana